Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garybUK

Original poster
Jun 3, 2002
okay please dont shoot me for running 2003 on one of my servers, but i run two servers, one freebsd 4.9 and one windows 2003 enterprise on two servers in the utility room where the switches, routers and cable modem is located.

Now on windows 2003 my freind made a change to the active directory schema and made it so only 2003 servers could be part of the AD and no pre 2000 servers could connect. Now all my XP Clients can connect fine but the 2003 box cannot see any samba shares nor can any samba client see any windows shares.

I beleive that this operation is one way, so without formatting, can anyone suggest anything... this is my last resort.

I am planning to migrate from Exchange Server to a postfix / squirrelmail system in the near future, but its all working right now (apart from this issue).

Thanks

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
We had this problem at work. Apple claims to support 2003 server fully, but they lie. The truth is that you will have to disable all password encryption and security options on the 2003 server in order for an OSX client to connect to it via samba. The samba installed on OSX doesn't support the password encryption needed. This may not be desirable for you.

The solution we used at work was to install "services for macintosh" on the 2003 server and connect to shares (you have to dupe the shares as a Macintosh share with read-write permission on the 2003 server) via the afp protocol on the clients. The problem here is that Microsoft only supports AppleTalk 2.2 instead of 3.0, so you don't get long filenames. (It isn't really Microsoft's job to support AppleTalk, so no complaints please.)

Anyway, there you have it. Now myself and the other Mac user around here can connect to 2003 with somewhat limited success. :)

Steve

garybUK

Original poster
Jun 3, 2002
Thanks for the info, I have OS X.3.4 on a Dual 1.8ghz G5 with 2.5gb Ram.

The home network is x3 AMD 2400+, 512mb, 120gb XP-Pro, x1 Compaq P4 2.8ghz Laptop Computer, x1 Dual G5 Powermac, x1 Powermac 7300, x1 Pentium III 450, 180gb Storage FreeBSD 4.9, x1 Pentium III 1ghz, 2gb Ram, 1080gb Storage Windows Server 2003 Enteprise, x1 PowerBook G4 Titanium 667mhz, 1gb Ram, DVD/CDRW

They are all conected via 1000mbps Switched Ethernet (apart from the laptops, they are over 54mbps or 11mbps WAP's)

I have all the windows clients logging on via domain and the domain policy has been set to disable "Digitally Sign Connections" and disabled the Only Allow Encrypted Connections, this is working i know because i can logon to the network from a 486 running MS-DOS Networking support

I think the problem lies with the Windows server seeing the samba clients as a server rather than a workstation, I may try the "Services For Macintosh" as darkwing suggested, I am planning to "switch the servers" i.e. Make the current 2003 server, freebsd or slackware linux and make the freebsd server a windows 2000 or 2003 server, so the storage is on the *nix box.

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
garybUK said:
I think the problem lies with the Windows server seeing the samba clients as a server rather than a workstation, I may try the "Services For Macintosh" as darkwing suggested, I am planning to "switch the servers" i.e. Make the current 2003 server, freebsd or slackware linux and make the freebsd server a windows 2000 or 2003 server, so the storage is on the *nix box.

The nice thing about the SFM method is that you don't have to worry about directory access and binding and all that crap.

Steve

garybUK

Original poster
Jun 3, 2002
ok i installed sfm for windows 2003 last night, went to computer management, right clicked Shared Folders and configured the mac shares. It works a treat, i have to give credit to MS for including this in their server OS's.

The only downside to it is, it will only support short passwords in plain text i.e. 8 chars i think, so i had to create a couple of accounts to auth against, not too bad.

Thanks for all the help.

Next project: Im building a iTunes server in FreeBSD using DAAP, all my family use itunes on windows or mac's now its a great client and would like to share some music house wide... wish me luck :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.