Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theapplefreak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
I've installed Windows 7 on my macbook worked perfectly fine. I used the same disk and tried installing on my iMac. Yes I'm using bootcamp btw. And after the final installation process it restarts like its supposed to, but it boots in this blank screen with nothing on it.
What am I supposed to do after that phase?
As for my macbook, it just works.

If anybody had or has this problem it would be greatly appreciated if you help me out.
Thanks

Harry0620

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2009
I've installed Windows 7 on my macbook worked perfectly fine. I used the same disk and tried installing on my iMac. Yes I'm using bootcamp btw. And after the final installation process it restarts like its supposed to, but it boots in this blank screen with nothing on it.
What am I supposed to do after that phase?
As for my macbook, it just works.

If anybody had or has this problem it would be greatly appreciated if you help me out.
Thanks

I could not locate the article "geekswithblogs" electronically.

Here is the procedures from that site.
1. reboot from the W7 installation disk
2. When you get into the W7 installer, pass the language selection the click"repair your computer"
3. Windows will scan for installation and prompt you with a list. Select "c" drive and click next.
4. You should be presented with a window titled "system recovery options" At the bottom of this list , you should see "command prompt: . select this.
5. when the console opens delete the offending driver using the following command:

Del C:\windows\system32\drivers\nv*.sys (or ati*.sys depends on your graphic card)
6. close the command prompt and click the restart buttom. This time boot from your HDD. you will be able to complete the installation with no blue or black screen.

Hope this helps.

theapplefreak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008

2. When you get into the W7 installer, pass the language selection the click"repair your computer"
3. Windows will scan for installation and prompt you with a list. Select "c" drive and click next.
4. You should be presented with a window titled "system recovery options" At the bottom of this list , you should see "command prompt: . select this.
5. when the console opens delete the offending driver using the following command:

Del C:\windows\system32\drivers\nv*.sys (or ati*.sys depends on your graphic card)

This won't damage my graphics card or anything associated with my Mac OS?

theapplefreak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008

6. close the command prompt and click the restart buttom. This time boot from your HDD. you will be able to complete the installation with no blue or black screen.

Hope this helps.

Hm..it doesn't seem to work. It says error blah blah and says to restart. You can't get out of that procedure.

theapplefreak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008

Hope this helps.

To be exact, it says:
The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, and then restart the installation.

Any ideas?

Harry0620

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2009
To be exact, it says:
The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, and then restart the installation.

Any ideas?

I think I made the common mistake to suggest answer assuming that you face the same issues as I faced when I installed the W7x64 on my Imac i5.

First what type of imac do you have?

The following article is a good start. Make sure you have all the firmware and software updates.

"http://www.simplehelp.net/2009/01/15"

For the black screen on new 27" Imac is due to the W7 think the second display port is the default port. The procedure I mentioned is only delete the system driver and has nothing to do with your display card. Make sure you deleted the display driver that is for your display card. There were be multiple start/reboot during the installation process. Since your installation failed, I would suggest to follow the installation and repair instruction again.

Good luck

theapplefreak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
I think I made the common mistake to suggest answer assuming that you face the same issues as I faced when I installed the W7x64 on my Imac i5.

First what type of imac do you have?

The following article is a good start. Make sure you have all the firmware and software updates.

"http://www.simplehelp.net/2009/01/15"

For the black screen on new 27" Imac is due to the W7 think the second display port is the default port. The procedure I mentioned is only delete the system driver and has nothing to do with your display card. Make sure you deleted the display driver that is for your display card. There were be multiple start/reboot during the installation process. Since your installation failed, I would suggest to follow the installation and repair instruction again.

Good luck

I currently have a Core i7 iMac with the same ATI graphics. I dont wanna spend another 20 bucks to get the cable to connect to an external monitor. Are there any other options? Ive tried doing this numerous of times, but still doesn't seem to work.

OderWat

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2009
Germany / Wuppertal
Well I have/had Windows 7 32 Bit and 64 Bit both running in Bootcamp in my iMac 27" i7 8 GB (ignore me for other non ATI iMacs)...

To get it to work you need to delete a file from the rescue console right after you have the blank screen...

The file is located in the Windows Drivers folder and named: ATIKMDAG.SYS

After deletion of that file the system boots up and you can use the mac cd to install the remaining drivers and stuff.

I did that multiple times while testing XP / Win 7 and the different 32 and 64 version for performance with games till I settled just using Paralles 5 and don't use bootcamp at all anymore.

You may find more info here

- Hans

Harry0620

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2009
I currently have a Core i7 iMac with the same ATI graphics. I dont wanna spend another 20 bucks to get the cable to connect to an external monitor. Are there any other options? Ive tried doing this numerous of times, but still doesn't seem to work.

Make sure you deleted the correct ATI file . You can use ATI*.sys. Although I have an 27" i5. I had the same problem until I deleted this file and continued with the installation.

Harry0620

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2009

Do you really need W7 in Bootcamp? Since I do not play games and has no application requires heavy CPU times. I now only running W7x64 in VM Fusion 3. I do not see any performance degrade compare to my P8700 based PC. I can copy/move folders, files back and forth with ease. Your i7 has more power than my i5, therefore performance should not be an issue for you If you still can not resolve the problem, then this may be another option for you. You get free Virtualbox from Sun Microsystems to try them first.

My biggest problem was to get the wireless KB and Magic mouse to work in W7. Happily to say, they work fine now.

theapplefreak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
Do you really need W7 in Bootcamp? Since I do not play games and has no application requires heavy CPU times. I now only running W7x64 in VM Fusion 3. I do not see any performance degrade compare to my P8700 based PC. I can copy/move folders, files back and forth with ease. Your i7 has more power than my i5, therefore performance should not be an issue for you If you still can not resolve the problem, then this may be another option for you. You get free Virtualbox from Sun Microsystems to try them first.

My biggest problem was to get the wireless KB and Magic mouse to work in W7. Happily to say, they work fine now.

I want to run W7 natively because I want to play PC games on my mac. With the processor and the graphics card, it would be great for just some PC games.

Btw. I now have other problems. I can't install W7 anymore...well not really, but after it installs, I hold down option for the reboot, chose the W7 disk. And I tried doing that command thing, but when I try going into the recovery thing, it says this drive cannot blah blah. And I can't even go to the command menu .

Harry0620

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2009
I want to run W7 natively because I want to play PC games on my mac. With the processor and the graphics card, it would be great for just some PC games.

Btw. I now have other problems. I can't install W7 anymore...well not really, but after it installs, I hold down option for the reboot, chose the W7 disk. And I tried doing that command thing, but when I try going into the recovery thing, it says this drive cannot blah blah. And I can't even go to the command menu .

I am sorry I will not be able to help you. You need someone locally to help you go through the problem. I was able to complete the installation of W7x64 after I deleted the offensive driver.

Papajz

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2009
Long Island, New York
black screen on install

how do i get back to the windows 7 install disk to fix install. It wont let me back
to it. i get and option to boot mac windows or windows cd (but i get a regular boot) or a efi boot?

theapplefreak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
It worked!

Hey guys!
It worked! I deleted BOTH drivers. ATI and NVdia and it all worked out fine!
I was relieved and I've been play Team fortress 2, Rainbow Six vegas 2, and all thse FPS games. love it.

Thanks for helping me out!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.