Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
pretty funny.
what do we learn with that history. :D
use os X or *nix system dudes... Otherwise your life might be in danger,
- sooner or later

uhlawboi80

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2002
houston
that was classic!!! microsuck is gonna LOVVVVVVE this PR. "we can even crash your car!"

hopefully we can keep bill gates away from airplanes and the like!

crazytom

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
IL
Something I got in email:

At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated, "If GM had kept up with the technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon".

In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release stating: If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have
to buy a new car.

3.Ê Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason.
Ê You would have to pull over to the side of the road, close all of theÊwindows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you couldÊcontinue. For some reason you would simply accept this.

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive - but would run on only five percent of the roads.

6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation" warning light.

7. The airbag system would ask "Are you sure?" before deploying.

8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

9. Every time a new car was introduced car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

10. You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine off.

-----------

Just thought I'd share that.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Re: Something I got in email:

Originally posted by crazytom
At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated, "If GM had kept up with the technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon".

In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release stating: If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have
to buy a new car.

3.Ê Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason.
Ê You would have to pull over to the side of the road, close all of theÊwindows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you couldÊcontinue. For some reason you would simply accept this.

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive - but would run on only five percent of the roads.

6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation" warning light.

7. The airbag system would ask "Are you sure?" before deploying.

8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

9. Every time a new car was introduced car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

10. You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine off.

-----------

Just thought I'd share that.

That's not a real GM press release, come on now. If it is, wow.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Actually, I believe that was an actual GM press release. Both GM and Microsoft took it in very good humor though, and I wish that kind of stuff had continued.

JW

I'm actually doubting it's Windows that did this. From information pages, the Windows core does the GPS and other neat onboard computer tricks, but not to control the car.

In fact, the other article, http://www.bangkokpost.com/130503_Business/13May2003_biz12.html, has nothing about what the computer was powered by, and there is no evidence that the crash was due to Windows.

But if BMW actually did make Windows to CONTROL the car, then it's their fault, not Microsoft's. The minister will probably think twice before buying another BMW.

Give everything the benefit of doubt.

voicegy

macrumors 65816
...and in the spirit of fairness...

I've been following this over on MacInTouch for a few days now...this was posted today:

"The car was not an E65/E66 7 Series with iDrive, but rather a BMW 520i (E39), as reported by Thailand's 'The Nation'. So this wasn't even an iDrive fault. (If the security is engaged on E39, the door lock button, door handles, and power window buttons in the interior of the car do not function. This is true on all E39s. This car was likely a BMW 520i Protection, specially equipped and armored for VIP transport, and may have included further electronics tied into the engine and security that could have failed.)"

Now, it's pretty wierd for Mac people to go running to the defense of Windoze, but we're a truth-seeking lot as well.

As MacCoaster stated in his post, give everything the benefit of the doubt, even something as intitially as great to make fun of as the story of Windows nearly killing two people (suffocation) in a car.

If you REALLY want to sink your teeth into something, here's a little known bit of trivia about Winbloze that I came across:

"Building clean code is getting more daunting, especially for Microsoft . The Windows operating system has 50 million lines of code (a line averages 60 characters) and grows 20% with every release. It's put together by 7,200 people, comes in 34 languages and has to support 190,000 devices--different models of digital cameras, printers, handhelds and so on."

Talk about a bloated, error prone giant mess of an OS!

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
The technology used to develop the WindowsCE interface for the BMW 7 Series is over a year old. I doubt this is the first time a figurative "car crash" story has been reported.

Then again, this is a computer chip in a car. If the car has been in inclement conditions, whether Microsoft or Apple, there will be damage to both the interface and the hardware.

I find it unusual that the passangers inside were trapped inside as a result of the "car crash". I'm wondering what if the same technology is used in the vehicles for movies such as The Fifth Element.

I don't want a car to fall down on me when I drive to work.

Edit: In regard to crazytom's post about the exposition COMDEX fake report, that particular report has been out for many years. I keep my PC using classmates interested in that same report, except it's in the form of paper and printer ink and a little Scotch tape.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
whether or not this incident was related to MS, there has been a thread on this before-- lots of good links to websites with BMW horror stories. Lets just say there are a lot of problems that are annoying at best, can be pretty dangerous...

pnw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.