Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacEffects

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2005
Darkspear
Okay, now this was the closest category I could find for this topic, but what I have to say must be said. My brother downloaded Kazza on my Dell Opitplex GX150 with Windows XP 256mb/20gig, the computer ran great until he did this. Now, I get major spyware, popups, spam, and a whole list of stuff, I can't even use it anymore it is slower then an LC III (really!), WTF are people downloading it for, you agree to have pop up's even when your computer is not on the internet and your browsers is quit, it seems like every 5 min large amounts of pop up's happen, and you can not use Kazza (A P2P network) with out allow it to happen, how do I get rid of all of that Kazza and junk it comes with?? I need help!

DeeJay Dan

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2006
New York
Kazza is garbage, I installed it once but didn't have any spy/adware problems, it could of been a bad download. I use Limewire, adware picks it up as spyware I've never had a problem with it.

First thing I would do is download both Adware and SpyBot. Once you install them reboot into safe mode (F8 when windows starts loading) scan with adware once it's done doing it's thing, reboot into safe mode again scan with Spybot then reboot and scan with Spybot & Adware again just to make it grabbed all the garbage.

If you need anymore help let me know.

ajcannon

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2005
I'm not saying that your post really deserves a response, but c'mon...what do you expect? You downloaded and installed Kazaa, which is known for being spyware and adware infested and then you get (oh my!) adware and spyware. Not that surprising if you ask me.

With that said, just follow the directions that the last guy posted and you will get rid of it. There are versions of both Kazaa and limewire that come with or without adware and spyware, so just make sure that you are getting the good version (it might take some time to look for them.) Hope this helps!

MacEffects

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2005
Darkspear
ajcannon said:
I'm not saying that your post really deserves a response, but c'mon...what do you expect? You downloaded and installed Kazaa, which is known for being spyware and adware infested and then you get (oh my!) adware and spyware. Not that surprising if you ask me.

With that said, just follow the directions that the last guy posted and you will get rid of it. There are versions of both Kazaa and limewire that come with or without adware and spyware, so just make sure that you are getting the good version (it might take some time to look for them.) Hope this helps!

While like I said *I* did NOT install it, it was my brother. But, I know better, then to install any kind of P2P on a PC, I have limewire on my Mac, but that is because it is safe,

Here is what the Kazza site said:

"If you want to use Kazaa but don't want to view ads you can purchase Kazaa Plus, the ad-free version..." (its not cheap) so this is suppose to happen with a million popups and slowed system they claim know Spyware, etc, my *(bad word goes here)* I have never seen a computer so slow of junked up. its horrible.

I will be (if I even can) be downloading the software, but I need to find out how to delete that BS

DeeJay Dan

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2006
New York
I forgot to add you should uninstall Kazaa first from the control panel. I doubt that will trash all the spyware but my deactivate some of it.

Your best bet, boot into safe mode (instructions above) uninstall Kazaa, restart then download the programs mentioned above.

DeeJay Dan

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2006
New York
Eeek that takes hours between formating and applying all the updates. Not to mention restoring your files and stuff like that.

I generally try to keep my format & reinstalls (the windows dance) down to every 6 months but I've done 4 over the past 2 weeks. :mad:

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
liketom said:
i would wipe it clean with a fresh install of XP

I agree. It might take ours to do. But it is still faster to reinstall then trying to get rid of all this adware/spyware junk.

..and I hope you guys learned your lesson...

mac4drew

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2003
California
Yes, use Ad-Aware at the very least to clean out your system. Make sure to run an update before scanning, and to have Ad-aware run another scan at startup. Spybot will get rid of whatever, if anything, is left.

In the future, if your brother absolutely has to have Kazaa, Kazaa Lite Resurrection (I'm not linking to it, look for it on Google) is an adware-free and spyware-free "hacked" version and includes a few utilities that make Kazaa suck a lot less. But IMO there are enough alternatives to make Kazaa look like an obsolete dinosaur overrun by the likes of the RIAA and MPAA, something to avoid regardless of its ability to screw up your computer.

DeeJay Dan

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2006
New York
Depending one what you're trying to grab off the P2P network, Limewire has been good to me. All the ads you have to deal with is the "Buy Pro?" at start up, as long as you disable it's autostart it doesn't bother the rest of your system.

I've used a couple of them BearShare connects to the same network as Limewire and is decent too.

When installing these type of programs it's best to be careful and google the name looking for user reviews.

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
DeeJay Dan said:
Eeek that takes hours between formating and applying all the updates. Not to mention restoring your files and stuff like that.

I generally try to keep my format & reinstalls (the windows dance) down to every 6 months but I've done 4 over the past 2 weeks. :mad:
4 in 2 weeks is nothing! I've done 4 in 2 days...! I can't remember why now...

Anyway Kazza for Windows is crap. Dont even BOTHER thinking about the possibility of a chance of maybe downloading it. Get Limewire instead. :D

strydr

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2005
SoCal
:D
alexstein said:
I agree. It might take ours to do. But it is still faster to reinstall then trying to get rid of all this adware/spyware junk.

..and I hope you guys learned your lesson...

Ya, it's much faster to reinstall the OS. Make sure you do a clean (format) install, to clean out any registry hooks left over. Also, keep the Bro off your system, or create a account for him to kill, instead of yours. I also like the idea of creating a restore point, and a clean image (although with only a 20GB HDD, you might just want to make a custom, slipstream disk).

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
I had a problem like this before. A lot of it actually installs and you can move it simply, remove Kazaa and look through Add/Remove programs and see if you see any junk in there.

Sometimes there in there. If that doesn't work... *gets XP disks*

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Dreadnought said:
Wrong forum here! You should have posted in the software section or something. Now you have to fold for the MacRumors Folding Team!
I would have to agree......

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
liketom said:
i would wipe it clean with a fresh install of XP

I'd wipe it clean with a fresh install of Amiga or SUSE.

P2P in general always brings weird stuff. even if not a program itself, downloads from P2P programs cab have weird stuff or be weird stuff that you aren't expecting. stay legal, don't do P2P (unless you are ACTUALLY doing LEGAL stuff with it, which not many people do)

Maxwell Smart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
Don't use kazaa, if you want to do P2P install limewire, (which is faster and has more users) then search for limewire pro ON limewire and download and install that ;)

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
BitTorrent programs are the only way to go. All that other stuff is garbage. I like BitTorrent because I'm a music junkie and can't stand the fact that most of the music on networks like Kazaa is encoded by people who have no idea what they're doing. So I use Azureus to get full albums by people who, like myself, know what they're doing with music. Sure, Kazaa and Bearshare and great for computer-illiterates who don't care about good quality music, but I'll take the next step up, thank you.

Daniel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.