Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrRock

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2005
It's my understanding that WMP 9 is the newest available for OSX. I downloaded it, but I have no application to open the install. What do I use? And is there any other 'universal' player for mac? Or should quicktime open all files?

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
You need to download stuffit expander to expand the download I beleive.
Then you can open the windows media installer.

Otherwise you can try flip4mac.
This will let quicktime open windows media 9 videos and even use them in iMovie ect.

And VLC is good, but still limited.

If you use flip4mac, in combination with real player, you can open almost all files with real player because it can also open quicktime, and with flip4mac you can open WMV. But flip4mac is not free...

DrRock

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2005
^

I have stufit expander, and when I went to open it, it told me that it didn't need expansion. The download has an extension of '.stix' Does that sound right? I'll try those others you mentioned as well.

nsheikh80

macrumors regular
May 2, 2005
London, England
DrRock said:
I have stufit expander, and when I went to open it, it told me that it didn't need expansion. The download has an extension of '.stix' Does that sound right? I'll try those others you mentioned as well.

Doc, I had this problem too but whenever I downloaded WM9 it was a .bin extension and StuffIt took care of it. Try downloading again.

DrRock

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2005
^

Ok, that's weird; I found a download with the .bin extension, and when it started, it hsowed that as the extension, but then changed to .sitx??? Is this some new function in Tiger or something?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
DrRock said:
Ok, that's weird; I found a download with the .bin extension, and when it started, it hsowed that as the extension, but then changed to .sitx??? Is this some new function in Tiger or something?
Tiger does not change the extension. The file downloaded when you click on .bin is actually .sitx. Save this, the instructions on the download page are correct. Stuffit Expander properly unstuffs Windows Media.sitx to extract Windows Media Installer.

DrRock

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2005
^

Hmmm...then there's something wrong with my stuffit expander, because it won't open the installer. What's weird is, when I search it on the support page at apple.com, I find out that stuffit isn't included in Tiger. It must be opening from classic, but maybe the classic version doesn't recognize the newer version of WMP? I don't know. I also downloaded that VLC, but of course got some error message. I went to open a .wmv file to test it, and got audio only. I don't know, I'm new to macs, so I guess it will just take some time to figure things out.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
There is no Stuffit included with Tiger at all, not in classic and not in OSX you have to download it.

I use Stuffit Expander 9 from the Stuffit site, it opens in Tiger, not classic and I used it to extract the installer (god I hate installers) from the .sitx file. All went well.

I don't know what is wrong with your copy, try dragging Expander to the trash to delete the programme and download it again. Make sure you install it into your applications folder, you may have to point it towards your .sitx file or drag it onto the window that opens when you double click on expander. It should just work, I don't know what you're doing wrong as I can't find anything there to suggest that you are.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Chundles said:
There is no Stuffit included with Tiger at all, not in classic and not in OSX you have to download it. [...]

Ditto everything Chundles said for me too. Stuffit was included on system installs under Panther, but is not under Tiger. I re-installed WMP9 under Tiger using the method described. If you can get it to work through double-clicking, try starting Stuffit Expander and then dragging the .sitx file into the window or onto the dock icon.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Maybe your download was corrupted, try downloading it again, and make sure to install stuffit 9 first.... yes there is no reson for MS to use stuffit, but oh well...

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Fukui said:
If you use flip4mac, in combination with real player, you can open almost all files with real player because it can also open quicktime, and with flip4mac you can open WMV. But flip4mac is not free...

It's cheap enough though :)
Never in my life have I bought an app so soon after demoing it (literally a couple of minutes) :D

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
There is a confusion about wmv files... There are 3 types of WMV files. WMV, WMV2, WMV3. Other players than microsoft's can open the first 2, but for the third, I think you are going to need windows media player. That's the only reason I keep Windows Media Player into my mac. For everything else, I use VLC.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Soulstorm said:
There are 3 types of WMV files. WMV, WMV2, WMV3. Other players than microsoft's can open the first 2, but for the third, I think you are going to need windows media player.

Or Flip :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.