Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Hmmm... I loaded the vm last night and did some updates and then set it to the fast track update ring and left it running overnight. So far it hasn't updated to the newer build and it says I am all up-to-date.

I may have missed the last boat to update the build.

Renzatic

Suspended
I may have missed the last boat to update the build.

Yeah, but it's not the end of the world. It went RTM today, and MS had previously stated that all the insiders will have access to it. You missed out on the updates, but you still get the final build.

Total aside here, but I'm hoping you might know something here I don't. I found out I'm not running Windows through a UEFI enabled partition, rather bios emulation. Do you know anything about setting up Windows on a GPT partition instead of MBR? I've never done it before, and could use a few helpful hints.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Yeah, but it's not the end of the world. It went RTM today, and MS had previously stated that all the insiders will have access to it. You missed out on the updates, but you still get the final build.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Not a big deal.

Total aside here, but I'm hoping you might know something here I don't. I found out I'm not running Windows through a UEFI enabled partition, rather bios emulation. Do you know anything about setting up Windows on a GPT partition instead of MBR? I've never done it before, and could use a few helpful hints.

Oooh yikes. No I am not familiar with doing that. GPT partition, that sounds like a Linux thing, right?

Renzatic

Suspended
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Not a big deal.

Worst case scenario is you get it on the 29th instead of a little earlier. Ain't no thang.

Oooh yikes. No I am not familiar with doing that. GPT partition, that sounds like a Linux thing, right?

Nope, not just. If you're booting off an EFI/UEFI only machine, like a Mac, you have to install Windows on a GPT partition. I lucked out when I built my new computer, because I did everything as usual, and it still worked. If my mobo didn't have a BIOS emulator onboard, I would've been stuck and all kinds of confused.

Now I gotta figure out how to do it. Which means looking stuff up. I hate doing that. :mad:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Worst case scenario is you get it on the 29th instead of a little earlier. Ain't no thang.

Nope, not just. If you're booting off an EFI/UEFI only machine, like a Mac, you have to install Windows on a GPT partition. I lucked out when I built my new computer, because I did everything as usual, and it still worked. If my mobo didn't have a BIOS emulator onboard, I would've been stuck and all kinds of confused.

Now I gotta figure out how to do it. Which means looking stuff up. I hate doing that. :mad:
Linux, OS X = Unix right?

I've messed with various distro's of Linux at times throughout the years, but never got very serious with them to truly be able to use and configure them.

Wish I could be more help to you though.

Renzatic

Suspended
Linux, OS X = Unix right?

For the most part, yeah. Linux isn't 100% like Unix in all regards, but it's close enough that some distros can be Unix certified, I believe.

Though GPT isn't a 'nix thing specifically. Now that every major platform has switched to EFI, it's going to be the common thing amongst all of them, replacing MBR on Windows machines. Read up on it.

I'm just now hearing about it. I first came across it when I tried installing Fedora on a second partition, and it kept throwing up warnings about a non-UEFI enabled OS on the drive. I looked it up, and eventually figured out that you have to take a couple of extra steps to get Windows properly configured for an EFI based machine.

There are apparently some advantages to doing so, and I've got the capabilities, so I might as well. I'll post up how to do it once I learn how.

Wish I could be more help to you though.

Oh, it's fine. I was just hoping for an easy answer. :p

edit: and the RTM is out! I'm grabbing it now.

Last edited:

Renzatic

Suspended
Which also appears to be the RTM version, as reported by Mary Jo Foley.

I no longer have the watermark along the bottom right of the desktop, so I'm guessing what I'm seeing now is the official, bona fide, certified Windows 10.

At a casual glance, it doesn't look to be any different from 10166. Guess MS didn't sneak any UI surprises in the final build this go-round.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
I no longer have the watermark along the bottom right of the desktop, so I'm guessing what I'm seeing now is the official, bona fide, certified Windows 10.

At a casual glance, it doesn't look to be any different from 10166. Guess MS didn't sneak any UI surprises in the final build this go-round.
Awesome! I assume there's no ISO available for 10240, though. Probably gonna have to wait until the 29th to upgrade non-Insider Preview machines.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

I left my Mac on all day and the vm running while I am at work. I'll check on it when I get home later maybe it will have updated.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere

Not completely true. Update 10166 is smooth and very polished.

Good job on Windows 10 by MS.

Renzatic

Suspended
Awesome! I assume there's no ISO available for 10240, though. Probably gonna have to wait until the 29th to upgrade non-Insider Preview machines.

Maybe. Normally, MS rolls out the isos a couple of days after they send the digital updates down the fast lane. Even with this potentially (and likely) being the RTM release, they might do the same here.

The only thing that makes me think this might not be the absolute final is that I didn't have to go through any of the usual Windows licensing spiels. I downloaded it, and it's activated itself, yet I haven't had to do a single thing with my old Win8 key.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Maybe. Normally, MS rolls out the isos a couple of days after they send the digital updates down the fast lane. Even with this potentially (and likely) being the RTM release, they might do the same here.

The only thing that makes me think this might not be the absolute final is that I didn't have to go through any of the usual Windows licensing spiels. I downloaded it, and it's activated itself, yet I haven't had to do a single thing with my old Win8 key.
According to Tom Warren at The Verge,

"Microsoft is testing its update mechanism today, and only existing Windows 10 testers will be able to access build 10240. The software maker will not make ISOs available until July 29th as the company wants all testers to upgrade through its Windows Update mechanism to make final tweaks and changes to the way Windows 10 will be distributed to existing PCs later this month."

I wonder if there's a way to make an install disk/USB drive.

As for the lack of activation, I don't think Insider Preview builds require activation until you decide to leave the Insider Preview program. I know for sure that you can stay in the program without a valid activation key, and you'll be able to continue using Windows 10 as long as you stay up-to-date with the beta builds they push out. So maybe that's why you don't need your Windows 8 key right now. Just speculation, of course.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
They have released it to the slow ring too.

They said they would release isos whenever they release to slow ring.

But they didn't release isos for this one.

So maybe it is rtm (or close to it).

interstella

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2013
Suffolk, England
The 10240 update has just appeared for me and, of course, started downloading without asking me if that was what I wanted. Luckily it's after 11pm in the UK so I'm using my "unlimited" night-time satellite data allowance but unless they change the "automatic update" policy, it's going to cause a lot of people and companies a lot of problems.

Edit to say the download failed and now it's not there any more! All I have is a Defender update.

Last edited:
Reactions: SandboxGeneral

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Just arrived home from work, hit the check update button and look what's downloading...

Screen Shot 2015-07-15 at 6.20.13 PM.png

Renzatic

Suspended
Just arrived home from work, hit the check update button and look what's downloading...

Woot! \:D/

I've experimented with it a bit, and things are pretty solid overall. But there is one fly in the ointment. One that's been there since I first installed Windows 10 on my computer about 3 months back.

If you try to run a downloaded program from inside of Edge, it WILL STILL flake out on you. Though there seems to be one slight improvement. It didn't crash Explorer entirely this time, it just caused Edge to freeze. When it happens, you'll hear the UAC prompt ding, but...nothing. All you can do is watch as Edge goes unresponsive until you force quit it.

I don't know if this is a rare problem only I'm (consistently) experiencing, or if it's pretty widespread.

But on a good note, I figured out how to install Windows 10 on a GPT/UEFI enabled partition. It's actually quite simple. The reason why it installed it in legacy mode for me is because I used the Win7 Download Tool (which, strangely, doesn't download Win7 at all) to create my bootable Win10 USB drive. It formats the thumbdrive only as an MBR partition, which means it'll install Windows as the same.

To install Win10 (or Win8 if you so please) on an EFI device, you just have to use a utility that'll allow you to create your bootable ISO as a GPT partition. I actually did this entirely by accident while playing around with Unetbootin and Fedora 22. I saw that my thumbdrive had two entries on my boot drive selector. One labeled USB, and another UEFI. Selecting USB installs the OS "legacy", and UEFI allows you to do the obvious thing.

So I've learned something new. Kinda obvious in retrospect, but not very obvious in practice.

Also, when the official, honest to god RTM iso is released, I'll probably use Rufus to create my USB drive.

The only downside is that I have to wipe all my partitions and install Win10 from scratch when I do this, but...eh, I was gonna do that anyway. Not looking forward to it, though.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Woot! \:D/

I've experimented with it a bit, and things are pretty solid overall. But there is one fly in the ointment. One that's been there since I first installed Windows 10 on my computer about 3 months back.

If you try to run a downloaded program from inside of Edge, it WILL STILL flake out on you. Though there seems to be one slight improvement. It didn't crash Explorer entirely this time, it just caused Edge to freeze. When it happens, you'll hear the UAC prompt ding, but...nothing. All you can do is watch as Edge goes unresponsive until you force quit it.

I don't know if this is a rare problem only I'm (consistently) experiencing, or if it's pretty widespread.

Hmm that's interesting. I'll have to try it out and see if I get the same results. What were you downloading, anything common that I might try to get too?

Admittedly, I never gave Spartan or Edge or whatever much of a try since October. I installed Firefox and went with that. :oops:

But on a good note, I figured out how to install Windows 10 on a GPT/UEFI enabled partition. It's actually quite simple. The reason why it installed it in legacy mode for me is because I used the Win7 Download Tool (which, strangely, doesn't download Win7 at all) to create my bootable Win10 USB drive. It formats the thumbdrive only as an MBR partition, which means it'll install Windows as the same.

To install Win10 (or Win8 if you so please) on an EFI device, you just have to use a utility that'll allow you to create your bootable ISO as a GPT partition. I actually did this entirely by accident while playing around with Unetbootin and Fedora 22. I saw that my thumbdrive had two entries on my boot drive selector. One labeled USB, and another UEFI. Selecting USB installs the OS "legacy", and UEFI allows you to do the obvious thing.

So I've learned something new. Kinda obvious in retrospect, but not very obvious in practice.

Also, when the official, honest to god RTM iso is released, I'll probably use Rufus to create my USB drive.

The only downside is that I have to wipe all my partitions and install Win10 from scratch when I do this, but...eh, I was gonna do that anyway. Not looking forward to it, though.

That's good to know you got it working and that, in hind sight, it was rather simple. I have it a bit easier than you since I run Windows in a vm these days - at home anyway.

Screen Shot 2015-07-15 at 6.47.10 PM.png

Renzatic

Suspended
The 10240 update has just appeared for me and, of course, started downloading without asking me if that was what I wanted. Luckily it's after 11pm in the UK so I'm using my "unlimited" night-time satellite data allowance but unless they change the "automatic update" policy, it's going to cause a lot of people and companies a lot of problems.

There's an option buried somewhere to set Windows to identify a metered connection. If it's set to that, it won't download updates until you specifically tell it to.

I'll look it up, see if I can find out where it is.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Well it didn't take too long to update. The build number is no longer displaying in the lower-right corner.

My Windows Start button works again! :D

Renzatic

Suspended
Hmm that's interesting. I'll have to try it out and see if I get the same results. What were you downloading, anything common that I might try to get too?

Yeah, it happened when I downloaded Rufus. Check it out. See if it does it to you.

Admittedly, I never gave Spartan or Edge or whatever much of a try since October. I installed Firefox and went with that.

You know, other than this one annoying bug, and a couple missing features (I forgot how annoying the internet is without an ad blocker) it's not too half bad. I've been using it as my primary browser for about a month, and I found it to be really speedy and light on its toes. Everything looks good in it, it scrolls smoothly, and never, ever lags out on me no matter how many tabs I have open.

It'll take a lot more than that to draw people away from Chrome or Firefox, of course, but it's off to a good start.

That's good to know you got it working and that, in hind sight, it was rather simple. I have it a bit easier than you since I run Windows in a vm these days - at home anyway.

I haven't done it yet, but I know how to go about it when the time comes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.