Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

doynton

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
Thanks, I know they are two separate things.

I just don't have the line called system compression. I thought windows 10 was compressing system files by default?

I don't know if this makes any difference but I did a clean installation of W10.

PS I do have SSD
I did a clean install of 11049 (It is easy BTW, just delete everything from your bootcamp USB key and copy the new stuff on - it will always boot).

You have to click on the "Clean up system files" option as I should have mentioned before.

It should look like this but you can only do it one time (I have found). The second time you try the option is not there. I don't know if this is a bug (but I have asked MS on the feedback app).

I will do a clean install next release and let you know with lots of screen prints if you want but it is more of a Windows than Mac issue.

For us mac users though with tiny SSDs reducing windows from 20GB to 3GB is a good thing.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-23 at 12.16.18.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-23 at 12.16.18.png
    470.7 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

Mais78

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014
I did a clean install of 11049 (It is easy BTW, just delete everything from your bootcamp USB key and copy the new stuff on - it will always boot).

You have to click on the "Clean up system files" option as I should have mentioned before.

It should look like this but you can only do it one time (I have found). The second time you try the option is not there. I don't know if this is a bug (but I have asked MS on the feedback app).

I will do a clean install next release and let you know with lots of screen prints if you want but it is more of a Windows than Mac issue.

For us mac users though with tiny SSDs reducing windows from 20GB to 3GB is a good thing.

Thanks, I did click on system files before, maybe I already used my one time opp to compress? Judging from the size of my installation (about 20GB) I would say no.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
The Windows 10 Thread

Now that we have enough pieces of Windows 10, let's discuss here. Even the most staunch Apple fans are likely to have to work with Windows in the future. I, for one, am thrilled with the direction Win10 is going. The idea of a phone driving a computer is not new, but if the Windows phone are powerful enough, it will certainly be a cool experience.

win10-100564648-gallery.png

Also, Android runtime and iOS compiler? Crazy. MSFT is really leading the pack in terms of platform unification.

Microsoft Edge looks pretty cool
project-spartan-ft-1resize.jpg

matt9013

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2013
Really happy they are making this a free upgrade to users. Looks really good so far and can't wait to try it out this July (rumored release month).

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Really happy they are making this a free upgrade to users. Looks really good so far and can't wait to try it out this July (rumored release month).

I agree. Unfortunately, as an Enterprise customer (I work for a large company), I likely won't get it right away on my work machine. That being said, when it launches, I'm putting it on all my extended family's machines right away.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I can't wait to try Win 10 on desktop and mobile.

You can try it now if you want. I have been using Windows 10 since the first 'Alpha' release when it was a nightmare to use. As of this last build, I would call it a near ready release or a very, very good Beta. Get yourself on the "Fast Ring" builds and give it a try.

Mobile is not ready... not even close. I'd still call it an Alpha version.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I can't wait to try Win 10 on desktop and mobile.

The Mobile is particularly intriguing. The notion of running Android Apps and potentially iOS apps is cool.

The idea of docking your phone to make a computer is really interesting, but I have a bad feeling the implementation will not be there for some time. That's seems like a stretch goal with the nature of phone architecture. We're already seeing enough issues with the Intel Core M running the Macbook, I can't imagine and ARM or Atom running a full Windows OS on a docking station.

----------

You can try it now if you want. I have been using Windows 10 since the first 'Alpha' release when it was a nightmare to use. As of this last build, I would call it a near ready release or a very, very good Beta. Get yourself on the "Fast Ring" builds and give it a try.

Mobile is not ready... not even close. I'd still call it an Alpha version.

Let's be honest: Alpha is alpha. It's supposed to be pretty bad. Every piece of software I have ever run in Alpha has been rough. Even betas are meant to be treated as a potentially difficult experience.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
The Mobile is particularly intriguing. The notion of running Android Apps and potentially iOS apps is cool.

The idea of docking your phone to make a computer is really interesting, but I have a bad feeling the implementation will not be there for some time. That's seems like a stretch goal with the nature of phone architecture. We're already seeing enough issues with the Intel Core M running the Macbook, I can't imagine and ARM or Atom running a full Windows OS on a docking station.

----------

Let's be honest: Alpha is alpha. It's supposed to be pretty bad. Every piece of software I have ever run in Alpha has been rough. Even betas are meant to be treated as a potentially difficult experience.

I realize this. But not all Alpha's are equal. Some are usable; the mobile version of Windows 10 is not. A majority of the apps can't even load, and now I can't even update apps at all. (At least on my Lumia 925 anyway.) I keep updating as Microsoft releases Win10 Mobile, and hoping the next version squashing my bugs, so I can use it again.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
As probably the biggest Microsoft fanboy on these forums I think the direction windows 10 is going sucks. In particular the direction it's going in with tablets. They took away most of the features that made windows 8.1 great on tablets. They are trying to "desktopify" the tablet, and that's a HUGE step backwards. There will be a backlash from tablet consumers, ironically similar to the desktop backlash with windows 8. They are now swinging the pendulum way too far to the desktop side. In terms of the desktop I'm still not a fan of the start menu either. OneDrive they totally borked by taking away the ability to see unsynced files which reside on the cloud, taking away a large benefit of using cloud storage.

I don't hate everything. I think the continuum feature where a smartphone can be a full PC is pretty awesome. I think it's great they are enticing ios/android developers over as well. Certainly the surface pro line is a great success and shows us we don't have to live with the primitiveness of the iPad anymore.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Been trying it for a couple weeks along with its updates. Not bad at all. They do have to fix the issue with not being able to update the start menu folders and files. I like order and control over that area.

Edge looks good so far. Of course my usage is based on add-ons as well so I would require those.

I always ignored metro apps and just stick with all programs from the desktop.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
As probably the biggest Microsoft fanboy on these forums I think the direction windows 10 is going sucks. In particular the direction it's going in with tablets. They took away most of the features that made windows 8.1 great on tablets. They are trying to "desktopify" the tablet, and that's a HUGE step backwards. There will be a backlash from tablet consumers, ironically similar to the desktop backlash with windows 8. They are now swinging the pendulum way too far to the desktop side. In terms of the desktop I'm still not a fan of the start menu either. OneDrive they totally borked by taking away the ability to see unsynced files which reside on the cloud, taking away a large benefit of using cloud storage.

I don't hate everything. I think the continuum feature where a smartphone can be a full PC is pretty awesome. I think it's great they are enticing ios/android developers over as well. Certainly the surface pro line is a great success and shows us we don't have to live with the primitiveness of the iPad anymore.

I can see why you would feel this way, for sure. It's certainly a push and pull with Windows more than any other version.

The problem is, enterprise has essentially rejected the entire Windows Modern UI, and they carry a huge amount of clout in the Windows environment.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I always ignored metro apps and just stick with all programs from the desktop.

Remember when desktop was legacy and modern the next big thing. Full "screen apps! Get with the new program!"

Well that lasted two years. Now i'd say the pure modern app space is legacy. Painfully, this has yet to be resolved and windows 10 is another bandaid on an unresolved ui paradigm. Its ok..its not awful...but its hardly inspiring

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Remember when desktop was legacy and modern the next big thing. Full "screen apps! Get with the new program!"

Well that lasted two years. Now i'd say the pure modern app space is legacy. Painfully, this has yet to be resolved and windows 10 is another bandaid on an unresolved ui paradigm. Its ok..its not awful...but its hardly inspiring

Windows is hitting the issue Apple did. OS X does not run on the iPad because it is not built for the iPad. iOS is too simple for a mac.

In the same vein, Windows Modern UI does not work on a laptop. Particularly one without a touch screen. The Windows traditional desktop is useless on a tablet (we saw that as far back as Windows 7 tablet PCs).

Windows is finding out that OSs are not one size fits all, which is fine. However, unlike Apple, Microsoft seems content to deal with machines that do more than one thing (desktop/tablet, phone/desktop) and are attempting to unify everything under one chameleon OS.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012

Metro apps was odd in that I could just use the desktop version which allows for better control and I can task far better. Even in the mobile world one thing at a time is slow and slightly painful. No flash or working ad blocker is another troublesome issue. (why I prefer a full desktop OS)

What do you want to see in Windows 10?

I do not need much, whatever allows me to do everything I want without too much trouble. As always I just stick everything I use on the taskbar for quick access and I am good.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I can see why you would feel this way, for sure. It's certainly a push and pull with Windows more than any other version.

The problem is, enterprise has essentially rejected the entire Windows Modern UI, and they carry a huge amount of clout in the Windows environment.

I don't disagree with the changes they have made to the desktop side, but they've hamstrung the tablet functionality quite a bit for really no good reason. The tablet features they took away or changed didn't impact desktop usage.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Very excited for Windows 10. It seems that Microsoft has the right ideas on all fronts. I hope they will be able to pull it off, especially that Continuum feature.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I don't disagree with the changes they have made to the desktop side, but they've hamstrung the tablet functionality quite a bit for really no good reason. The tablet features they took away or changed didn't impact desktop usage.

We'll see when it is finally out. Hopefully the traditional Windows desktop does not become a primary method of input in Windows 10.

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
Multiple Releases

As was mentioned before, Microsoft is concentrating first on the desktop so as not to scare enterprise: Staggered Release Cycle. But they do believe their future, THE future, is in hybrid use cases. Whether that is using your phone to also be your desktop or using Cortana and your Xbox One as your portal to the internet. Microsoft must first take care of the now before they make the moves they want to secure their place in the future.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Metro apps was odd in that I could just use the desktop version which allows for better control and I can task far better. Even in the mobile world one thing at a time is slow and slightly painful. No flash or working ad blocker is another troublesome issue. (why I prefer a full desktop OS)

What do you want to see in Windows 10?

I do not need much, whatever allows me to do everything I want without too much trouble. As always I just stick everything I use on the taskbar for quick access and I am good.

I think MS has two challenges. First--they need to recast the store as an itunes competitor. This means moving media from xbox. Then eliminate the infinate horizontal scroll from the store and create a more useable
virtual space. The idea of gathering media under gaming was a huge mistake that never seems to be discussed.

Second--i think windows needs to unify its entry space across platforms. I am not sure what is the best way to do this. in 10.x the desktop is again the default space for non mobil users. Bringing back the start menu in 10 means users no longer toggle in and out of desktop space into modern tile space. Modern tile space is now encapsulated by the desktop, not visa versa as in 8.x.

But for mobil users--the 8.x paradigm is maintained. Tile space encapsulates the desktop!

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England

Just like you, I am skeptical about Windows 10. We have around 11 Windows computers in our house (We like to test them out and I work hard to afford each one).

6 of them are running Windows 7,
3 are running good ol XP
and, one is running 8.1! (It was the biggest mistake I ever made buying that undowngradeable PC:()

Out of 6 of the windows 7 computers, ONE of them is not upgradeable:eek:.

I am expecting WIndows 10 to be more richer, reliable, and UI friendly than the Legendary Windows 7! I do not want to be screwed over like Windows Vista, Win 8 or 8.1!

Finally, the free upgrade promo appears to me as begging people to upgrade. Is this a foreshadow that Windows 10 is worse than 8, 8.1 Vista, and Microsoft Bob combined?

Renzatic

Suspended
I think MS has two challenges. First--they need to recast the store as an itunes competitor. This means moving media from xbox. Then eliminate the infinate horizontal scroll from the store and create a more useable
virtual space. The idea of gathering media under gaming was a huge mistake that never seems to be discussed.

They've done half of what you've stated. They're still using the Xbox app as its music shop (which doesn't make a damn bit of sense, since you think of games more than music when you see the name), but the new Store beta, and by extension all of the new Metro/Modern/Universal apps, follow a much more traditional vertical layout.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

----------

Having used a rMBP, I don't know anymore if the problem lies in Core M. And according to some people, the current Atom runs Windows rather well.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Just like you, I am skeptical about Windows 10. We have around 11 Windows computers in our house (We like to test them out and I work hard to afford each one).

6 of them are running Windows 7,
3 are running good ol XP
and, one is running 8.1! (It was the biggest mistake I ever made buying that undowngradeable PC:()

Out of 6 of the windows 7 computers, ONE of them is not upgradeable:eek:.

I am expecting WIndows 10 to be more richer, reliable, and UI friendly than the Legendary Windows 7! I do not want to be screwed over like Windows Vista, Win 8 or 8.1!

Finally, the free upgrade promo appears to me as begging people to upgrade. Is this a foreshadow that Windows 10 is worse than 8, 8.1 Vista, and Microsoft Bob combined?

Windows 8.1 was their best OS release IMO. I'll be staying on 8.1 for the foreseeable future, hopefully windows 10.1 adds tablet functionality back in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.