Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janstett

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2006
Chester, NJ
Billy Boo Bob said:
Leave it to MS to have their site totally blow up in Safari. Perhaps another example of writing their own rules and not sticking to HTML standards? Jeez. You would think they would go out of their way to make it work right in Safari in hopes of bringing back any switchers once Vista is out. Or at least bringing in Mac users to double up with Boot Camp or one of the VT options.

As if Safari is perfect. There's a reason I keep Opera and Firefox around. I'd say around 10-20% of the sites I visit have problems with Safari.

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
Billy Boo Bob said:
Leave it to MS to have their site totally blow up in Safari. Perhaps another example of writing their own rules and not sticking to HTML standards? Jeez.

M$ has been doing this for years, trying to pirate and own HTML standards not to mention the entire web. Like how they eff up everything SQL they came out with their own, M$SQL, or Java, a woefully pathetic M$Java, if they can't steal it and let their lawyers (which they have more of than actually programmers, which is quite telling) while shluffing off as chum to the ignorant dumb masses as sad poor weak imitation of it they'll simply buy it and hide away the origianal, M$ threat (Visio) or, if it pleases them, try to kill it all together, (the Redmond chant of Windblows 95 was "it's not done until Lotus 1-2-3 can't run).

Microsuck is a slimy, squirmy, bad used car salesman that makes bloaty, buggy, crash prone software only idiots and fools are actually a zealot for, with one goal in mind, max domination at all costs... which includes making some of the most craptacular coding. After all, who needs to actually conform to standards when you have 90%+ of the world licking your bootstraps and actually suckered into thinking erroneously that you make something akin to a "good" computing experience.

Billy Boo Bob

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2005
Dark Side Of The Moon
janstett said:
As if Safari is perfect. There's a reason I keep Opera and Firefox around. I'd say around 10-20% of the sites I visit have problems with Safari.
I'm certainly not saying that Safari is perfect. I run into issues all the time. I should probably grab both of those others and load them up for backups. It's been a while.

I do, however, come across many sites that only function correctly if run with Exploder, and sometimes it has to be Windows version of Exploder.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Hi everyone,

I have a question on parallels. Beta 3 is out and it is suppose to support sound, but I can't make sound work. What do I need to do?

Thanks.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
While the virtual machine is turned off, you need to go to devices and add a sound card. Next time you boot it, Windows will autodetect the sound card.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
aristobrat said:
While the virtual machine is turned off, you need to go to devices and add a sound card. Next time you boot it, Windows will autodetect the sound card.

Thanks. It works now, but it sounds funny sometimes. Hopefully this will improve in the future. At least I have it working somewhat now. Many thanks.

I think Parallels is pretty brilliant. I never used Virtual PC, but this must surely beat it. Very impressive performance.

I can't wait to install a linux distro too.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Suddenly, it doesnt even matter if Microsoft pulls Office on the Mac because of virtualisation. I bet you we have a full suite from Apple to counter that, as well as the safety net of being able to run Office 2007 etc on a Mac via Boot Camp/Virtualisation

Honestly, this is the most brilliant move Jobs has ever pulled off. .

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Any architects out there? Wondering how these apps run on Parallel:

-AutoCAD 2000
-AutoCAD 2005
-Revit 9
-Rhino 3.0
-3DStudioMax

The latter two are 3D programs so I assume they don't run so well. But still, I'm curious about the performance.

Coyote2006

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2006
jacobj said:
As I've understood it, the answer is not quite and when it comes to using the GPU, not at all.

O.k., that was to be expected.

What about full virtualisation with the final version of boot camp? Is this possible at all with the current Intel CPU or do we have to wait for the next generation like the Merom?

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Coyote2006 said:
O.k., that was to be expected.

What about full virtualisation with the final version of boot camp? Is this possible at all with the current Intel CPU or do we have to wait for the next generation like the Merom?

It's very possible that Boot Camp will graduate to Tour of Duty or somethign equally stupid, and offer virtualization instead of or in addition to the current dual-boot solution. I would actually be surprised if Apple doesn't buy Parallels and roll their product into OS X 10.5 (minus Windows XP of course) and even prep it for Vista.

The current beta (5) of Parallels seems to be temporarily unstable, but the previous beta was very stable and incredibly fast to boot and run XP. It really is a great product for those of us who need access to Windows apps. Much better than Virtual PC, probably because it is running on Intel hardware.

The only thing better, in my opinion, would be something like Wine, but a version that is easy to install and configure.

Coyote2006

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2006
What I need is a Mac that not only supports dual boot (MacOS X AND WinXP) but runs both OS at the same time at full speed.

Will the current MacBookPro ever be able to support this feature or does Apple has to wait for the Merom Processor that has hardware support for this virtualisation?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
When I use Parallels to run XP on my Mac Book Pro, Parallels typically uses about 20-60% of just ONE of my MBP's processors.

That leaves more than enough "uummmf" for OS X to do its own thing.

End result = both XP and OS X feel "full speed" on my MBP, and this is will the Beta version of Parallels. The only time this doesn't hold true = with games. Windows Media Player plays videos and stuff fine, though.

If you read the benchmarks from the link a few posts ago, keep in mind that Parallel has had a few more beta releases since that was published, so it's only getting better.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
In case you're interested, I did some Photoshop CS2 benchmarks using the test actions from driverheaven.com with the same VM, first time with 512MB RAM assigned, second time with 1GB RAM assigned, and compared to Mac OS X (1.83 GHz Core Duo). Remember, it's running in Rosetta on OS X:
Code:
                        XP 512MB    XP 1GB      OS X 2GB
Texturiser Test         2.9         2.2         3.2
CMYK Colour Conversion  7.6         6.9         10.2
RGB Colour Conversion   25.4        8.0         11.6
Dust and Scratches      22.9        8.4         13.0
Watercolor              39.8        38.9        45.2
Texturiser              14.0        17.3        3.9
Stained Glass           15.8        17.8        12.7
Lighting effects        19.6        10.3        25.8
Mosaic Tiles            19.1        29.9        68.6
Extrude                 125.5       111.1       145.0
Smart Blur              74.0        71.3        173.2
Underpainting           27.9        38.8        55.6

The couple of tests that are slower with 1GB RAM are a bit puzzling.

I didn't test under Boot Camp, but others have seen a 10% improvement over Parallels.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Coyote2006 said:
What I need is a Mac that not only supports dual boot (MacOS X AND WinXP) but runs both OS at the same time at full speed.

Will the current MacBookPro ever be able to support this feature or does Apple has to wait for the Merom Processor that has hardware support for this virtualisation?
The current MacBook Pro's CPU (Yonah) has hardware virtualization support.

Coyote2006

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2006
I installed the RC version and it's working fine.

But grafic support is too slow even with 2D stuff. It's like working under WinXP with native system drivers.

They do have to implement better 2D drivers for the final version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.