Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
I just came across an article on advanced Windows Vista features and the new networking stack, and I found a fact which I haven't seen covered elsewhere. Microsoft will be removing FireWire networking in Windows Vista. This is an interesting move, one which might spell an increasing desire to relegate FW to DV and audio components only--which in turn, being Microsoft, will change the PC FireWire market. Any hopes for widespread adoption of FW might be crushed.

"In future versions of the Windows operating systems, Microsoft plans to discontinue support for IP over 1394 (that is, TCP/IP over IEEE 1394). Currently, this capability is supported in Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, and Windows Me. Microsoft has not identified any customer dependency on this capability."

Source:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/bus/1394/IP_1394.mspx

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Yes, but of those only gigabit ethernet is faster than firewire, and I think that even requires a special cable, not your run of the muck cat 5.

PatrickF

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
Blighty
yippy said:
Yes, but of those only gigabit ethernet is faster than firewire, and I think that even requires a special cable, not your run of the muck cat 5.
I believe bog standard CAT 5e is sufficient for gigabit over ethernet. That should cover a lot of CAT 5 cables that are fully wired.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
timswim78 said:
mm kay? Isn't that why we have bluetooth, wifi, and ethernet?
I'm not saying it's an irreplaceable technology or that it would ever be popular. It just trims back one of the unique features of FireWire, and along with persistent lack of FW boot support on most PCs, it looks like Microsoft is pushing FW into a corner for DV, pro audio (not a huge Windows market), and simple data storage (even little USB flash drives are bootable these days and superior to FW hard drives). It puts a heavy damper on FireWire adoption if the only credible advantage it has is that DV cameras use FireWire.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.