Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ihparker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
However, when I try to add a printer, my workgroup does not appear. Under Windows Printing, all I get is "Workgroup", not "Parker_Home". I am thinking that it is possible that the underscore may be giving 10.3 a problem, but that would not explain why everything is smooth in Network, but not in Printer Add.

Any thoughts?

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Re: Windows Workgroup Issue

Originally posted by ihparker
However, when I try to add a printer, my workgroup does not appear. Under Windows Printing, all I get is "Workgroup", not "Parker_Home". I am thinking that it is possible that the underscore may be giving 10.3 a problem, but that would not explain why everything is smooth in Network, but not in Printer Add.

Any thoughts?
Go to Applications/Utilities and run Directory Access. Select SMB, then click Configure. Now, enter your workgroup name. Viola!

HTH

ihparker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
Thanks Dave

That did the trick. Nice if Apple would have documented it in the help file.

Now I can see the printer although I still can't print to it with using the Gimp drivers.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
I can add my workgroup name TERABYTE in the Directory Access and it sees TERABYTE when go to add a printer, but my printer doesn't show up.

I've also tried to use SMB printing and that doesn't work either. What would be the correct path for this?

ex. smb://????

I've set the Windows machine (XP Pro) to accept incoming connections to other computers with lpt1.

My iMac is connected to my PC with a 5 port ethernet hub. I can see the computer and get/send files back and forth between the two, but my iMac can't see my parallel printer! (Epson Action Laser 1100)

FYI: The printer works fine on the Windows side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.