Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

g.x

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2005
cal6n said:
I think that's ass-backwards, mate!

Whoops! Here I am trying to defend myself and I just swallowed my entire foot!

Everyone knows what I meant (hopefully).

I'm an idiot.

fisty

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2006
Heart Break Kid said:
How difficult is Windows to instal on a mac?

Lets say someone like me who isnt completely computer illiterate tried to make his MBP dual boot - would they have serious issues?

With regards to the actual windows environment on a Mac - does it actually feel like windows? Does WiFi and audio and video work properly or do I still have to wait for that? If for example WiFi isnt working, when a sollution does become available, will I have to reinstall windows or will I just have to say install a patch / driver?

its very easy, there is a howto file it tells you every single steps you have to make, this is my first mac ever and yeh played around with the OS on my brothers powerbook but its very easy,

audio works, only throufh headphones though so far, wifi and ethernet works 100%, the driver for the video card isnt out as this is a user effort and not a company effort it will take some time hence you can not play games under windows on ur new intel mac, but for writing or using aplications its good enough....it took me around 2 hours to install windows on my macbook from when i started and finished i.e this means having all my appz back in place, email redownloaded from my pop server in mail and stuff

enjoy :D

fisty

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2006
ordin12 said:
OK everybody, I'm sorry, not 10. I made a mistake. More like 6 years old. in 2000, the powerbook looked exactly the same. Now, it still looks nice, but the Vaio is nice too. Just a matter of taste maybe but it's nice to know there's a company innovating every few months and letting you pick among a large number of computers. Apple could have introduced tilting screens, 2 buttons, and not everybody loves the alumium case.

I still remain loyal to OS X despite Apple obviously dropping the ball on Sync and a few other nice features that they used to support and keep up to date.

why on earth would you want 2 buttons on the mac? you dont need it lol
ctrl click so easy....

macs are much more usefull thx to all the shortcuts....

nutter

zac4mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2002
near Boulder, CO. USA
Why on earth would someone want more than one button???
Are you effing serious?

Myself, when I'm surfing, working or gaming, I usually have a cookie, a stike or a beer in my left hand and my Intellimouse explorers many buttons are getting a workout in my right hand. This is a debate that has been kicked to death and finally Apple themselves make a multi-button mouse.

I have a 3 week old MBP 2.0 and it WILL have XP Pro in native code by the end of next week. If it's stable, THEN I'll buy a copy of XP.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
g.x said:
If you read my post, you will see that I was reponding to those posters (and there are many) who are waiting for "Virtual PC" to run at native speeds. You may have a better understanding of virtualization, but you need to accept that "Virtual PC" is a software application...it emulation...it's an extra layer of code...it will never, by definition, run at native speeds.

My comment, in other words, says,

"A Core Duo running XP will never be as fast as a the same Core Duo running OS X running Virtual PC running XP."

This, I believe, is true.
There is an x86 native Virtual PC for Windows that (I think) is only a virtualizaiton engine, and not an emulator. It allows you to run other OS's under Windows at (near) native speed I would think, similar to VMWare. It weems like this would be the basis of an x86 Virtual PC for Mac, if there ever is one, instead of the current Virtual PC/Mac, which must by definition include the emulation layer. Is this not correct? If it is, then we could indeed expect near native speed from an x86 Virtual PC for Mac, and this appeals to me much more than dual booting ever would.

janstett

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2006
Chester, NJ
fisty said:
why on earth would you want 2 buttons on the mac? you dont need it lol
ctrl click so easy....

macs are much more usefull thx to all the shortcuts....

nutter

I have been using a Microsoft mouse with my MBP and it's just so natural to use the right click. Apple should just give it up and put 2 (or more) buttons there, it sort of did with the mighty mouse, but still on the MacBooks give us 2 buttons please. They could even mimmick the mighty mouse and make the button tip left/right for a left/right click.

janstett

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2006
Chester, NJ
I just want to set some expectation levels for people like Danny_W regarding what to expect out of virtual PC. Yes, there is a Virtual PC for Windows. Yes, it doesn't have to do CPU translation like the Mac version does.

However, I use VPC for Windows all the time. Mostly to use Red Hat 9 and Fedora Core 4 on my laptop, or in a pinch when I can't have a stand-alone desktop for these operating systems. I also use it to test with foreign versions of operating systems (needed Dutch Media Center not too long ago) and Win ME, Win2000, etc.

It's OK, but it is not quite "near natve" in speed. I haven't benchmarked it, but based on compiles I've done on the same machine in both environments, I'd say maybe 60% of the performance. It is still preferable to have the OS on bare metal. First, all the hardware is still virtualized (video card, network card, etc.) so the virtual machines don't have to deal with the underlying hardware. They present themselves as certain fixed things, like an S3 video card. In Red Hat and Fedora I have to do some tricks to get decent video modes involving VESA drivers. In short I'm a fan of VPC for Windows, but it's not as good as a real PC and it's not as fast as using a dedicated PC.

fisty

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2006
janstett said:
I have been using a Microsoft mouse with my MBP and it's just so natural to use the right click. Apple should just give it up and put 2 (or more) buttons there, it sort of did with the mighty mouse, but still on the MacBooks give us 2 buttons please. They could even mimmick the mighty mouse and make the button tip left/right for a left/right click.

dude a laptop is to be used with no mouse in theory..if you do than do be my quest...i sometimes use a external mouse too if its on a desk or something but i mostly use my laptops on sofas or in compfy position and not at desks in that case u dont use a mouse, if you need to right click ctrl click easy peasy...

you dont like the idea...well than i guess a mac laptop isnt for you...lol

more buttons...more than 2 ur a wierd person lol....osx is so nice cuz its simple..adding buttons just make ppl phreak out.. you want to take this brilliant easiness on a machine cuz ur too lazy to make ctrl click...:confused:

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
fisty said:
more buttons...more than 2 ur a wierd person lol....osx is so nice cuz its simple..adding buttons just make ppl phreak out.. you want to take this brilliant easiness on a machine cuz ur too lazy to make ctrl click...:confused:
You're calling him lazy even though you can't use complete sentences and spell out your words?

Irony gold. :D

quicksilver77

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2005
Nova Scotia, Canada
fisty said:
dude a laptop is to be used with no mouse in theory..if you do than do be my quest...i sometimes use a external mouse too if its on a desk or something but i mostly use my laptops on sofas or in compfy position and not at desks in that case u dont use a mouse, if you need to right click ctrl click easy peasy...

you dont like the idea...well than i guess a mac laptop isnt for you...lol

Laziness has nothing to do with it. Its the ease of use factor. Apple even came out with a two button mouse (a garbage one but one even so). Right clicking is easier than taking your other hand and using ctrl. Macfanatics (most) never get this...if Steve says to do it....U do it...sheep

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
quicksilver77 said:
Laziness has nothing to do with it. Its the ease of use factor. Apple even came out with a two button mouse (a garbage one but one even so). Right clicking is easier than taking your other hand and using ctrl. Macfanatics (most) never get this...if Steve says to do it....U do it...sheep

I actually don't have any problem at all with Control-clicking (or Option, or Command, or Shift,) because I tend to leave my left hand on the keyboard when mousing. I find that I need to hit a modifier often enough during normal computer use that I just keep one hand on the keyboard. Even when I'm using a two-button mouse on a Mac (as my primary desktop has,) I tend to hit Control-click as often as using the 'real' right-click. On Windows machines, I find myself TRYING to Control-click fairly often, too.)

janstett

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2006
Chester, NJ
fisty said:
dude a laptop is to be used with no mouse in theory..

When I use it on a desk, I use a mouse. It's just easier. I hate, hate scratchpads. I prefer the trackpoint that IBM uses. But neither are as precise as a mouse. I carry a mini mouse with every laptop I have.
fisty said:

I know typing complete words is a chore for you, so I wouldn't expect u 2, err, you to understand. Using your argument, OSX is too simple, so simple that it is inflexible. (It's not OSX, it's the input device Apple chooses by default). The right click is natural -- get over it Apple. The fact that they added it on the Mighty Mouse shows they are cracking.

I use an MS Intellimouse on my desktop. Left click, right click, PLUS two buttons at my thumb which are used for next/previous page in a web browser, VERY convenient. Plus the scroll wheel (Apple's still behind on this great invention by Microsoft and lamely copied it on the mighty mouse) -- the scroll wheel not only scrolls, but can be pressed as a 5th button, and can be used to scroll side to side not just up and down.

I guess your solution is to not have this flexibility to "keep it simple". When I'm using the MacBook without an external mouse, I feel like I might as well be wearing boxing gloves. u get wht i mn d00d, cuz yer stile iz 1mp0z1bly cntrctd?

Look at the way they design controls for fighter pilots. The idea is to keep the pilot's eyes in the skies, on his target, and not looking down at control switches. Every time I have to take my hand off the keyboard, and my eyes off the screen, to find the little clover key, (or move the mouse to the left/right browser buttons), I'm breaking my workflow. With a well designed multibutton mouse, you can do that without taking your left hand off the keyboard or breaking your workflow.

barstard

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
janstett said:
When I use it on a desk, I use a mouse. It's just easier. I hate, hate scratchpads. I prefer the trackpoint that IBM uses. But neither are as precise as a mouse. I carry a mini mouse with every laptop I have.

I know typing complete words is a chore for you, so I wouldn't expect u 2, err, you to understand. Using your argument, OSX is too simple, so simple that it is inflexible. (It's not OSX, it's the input device Apple chooses by default). The right click is natural -- get over it Apple. The fact that they added it on the Mighty Mouse shows they are cracking.

I use an MS Intellimouse on my desktop. Left click, right click, PLUS two buttons at my thumb which are used for next/previous page in a web browser, VERY convenient. Plus the scroll wheel (Apple's still behind on this great invention by Microsoft and lamely copied it on the mighty mouse) -- the scroll wheel not only scrolls, but can be pressed as a 5th button, and can be used to scroll side to side not just up and down.

You are right in that Apple will eventually have all multiple-button mice. A couple of points neeed to be corrected though. Apple's Mighty Mouse does scroll side to side and at 45 degrees too! The scroll wheel can be used as a button, and the grips can also be used as a button.

When doing work in most audio apps, it is basically a necessity to have your non-mouse hand on the keyboard, working in Pro-Tools with shortcuts (there are hundreds of them) is SOOO much more efficient than using contextual menus or searching through the main menus for your task. So when in Pro-Tools, I have absolutely no need for a multiple button mouse, the only thing a mouse is used for is to select certain points in the edit window or to change mixer levels on-screen (if no control surface to use).

I know plenty will disagree with me but this is how I work!

Basic Finder use and web browsing is definitely easier with a multi-button mouse, but not everything is.

Oh, and how did this topic end up talking about mice?:D

barstard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.