Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gotlax24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
Okay, so i am pretty sure that i am getting a macbook this weekand and i am still a little confused on wireless internet. i know how to set up the router and everything but our home only has one computer so will the PC and my macbook both be able to go on the internet at the same time even if they share the same cable modem? and does wirless internet cost extra (we only have cable) or does the router just send a connection out?? please help!!

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
most wireless routers come with ethernet outputs on the back, so just run an ethernet cable from the router to your PC, and both it and your MacBook will be able to go on the internet at the same time.

Wireless doesn't cost anything extra other than the cost of the wireless router.

JayMan8081

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2007
Dayton, OH
One more step is that you'll connect an ethernet cable from your cable modem to the uplink or WAN port on your router. The router handles making sure that both computers can get data to/from your cable modem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.