Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Russ72

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2006
Newbie here. Sorry if this is somewhat of a repeat, but I did a quick search and didn't find anything that discussed what I am looking to do.

I am going to purchase a new Intel iMac and plan to set up wireless with Airport Express with AirTunes. My question is: Will my current iBook (G3, 500MHz, 256RAM, DVD, 10GB) be able to hop onto the wireless network if I add an Airport card? It is running OS9.2.2.

Because the iBook is so old, I am hoping to do this as inexpensively as possible, since I am already adding the ~$100 expense of the Airport card (I don't want to go the USB Wireless or Ethernet Bridge adaptor route). I guess I could update the OS, but then I would have to add more RAM and purchase the OS. All I really want the iBook for is wireless web browsing at home and other WiFi hotspots, and word processing.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
your ibook can run fine with OS 9.2 installed. It will reconize the airport card and hook you right up, no problems.

Russ72

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2006
Thanks.

macEfan said:
your ibook can run fine with OS 9.2 installed. It will reconize the airport card and hook you right up, no problems.

I may upgrade to Panther in order to use the AirTunes functionality with the iBook at some point, but it's good to know that in the meantime I will at least be able to get online.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I wouldn't look at upgrades to the ibook 500mb as a loss. So you have to put a 512mb chip in it for it to run Pather or better, Tiger, well. Do you know the resale on that chip is totally holding its value?

And even adding a new harddrive and the airport card are things you can take out of the iBook when you want to sell it and part them out.

All I recall of OS9 is the crashes. I tried to blank them out, but I do recall crashes. And more crashes. X is smoother and faster and more modern. Just upgrade and then part out when you are ready to sell. I can't imagine running airport on 9 and being happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.