Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ahip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Now we have iPad 4 but still don't have a functional wireless presenter for Keynote on iPad?

Is this true or I am lagged?

I am seriously looking for a wireless presenter to pair with Keynote on my iPad2 for like a year but seems to me there is still no one presenter is really functional. This is ridiculous. If 3rd parties can't make one because of technical issues, Apple should make one for us who need a wireless presenter for their iPad.

You hear me, APPLE!!:mad:

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
it is true, i'm still waiting too....for 4 years now...

a bit buggy and fades in an out for me...but Keynote remote for Iphone is avail....but you have to swipe and not intuitive....

note: apple bluetooth keyboard also does not advance slides....

Last edited:

BanterClaus

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
UK
I'm not sure this is actually possible due to a limitation with the keynote app on iOS.

I tried using a bluetooth keyboard to move slides onwards but it does absolutely nothing. I therefore assume the reason 3rd parties haven't made such a device because it isn't actually possible to get Keynote to move through slides without using either a physical swipe on the device or by using Apples own Keynote Remote App.

To open up Keynote to 3rd parties all Apple needs to do is it make so that the slides change when an UP/DOWN key-press is sent from a paired bluetooth keyboard. 3rd parties could then just create very simple bluetooth devices that are capable of sending these key-presses.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
I'm not sure this is actually possible due to a limitation with the keynote app on iOS.

I tried using a bluetooth keyboard to move slides onwards but it does absolutely nothing. I therefore assume the reason 3rd parties haven't made such a device because it isn't actually possible to get Keynote to move through slides without using either a physical swipe on the device or by using Apples own Keynote Remote App.

To open up Keynote to 3rd parties all Apple needs to do is it make so that the slides change when an UP/DOWN key-press is sent from a paired bluetooth keyboard. 3rd parties could then just create very simple bluetooth devices that are capable of sending these key-presses.

I would settle for ANY button on the iphone to advance the slides - a swipe is too hard to do when presenting with one hand 100 slides in...

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Yes it works, I have one. It cleverly uses an accessibility feature to allow it to work

It looks like Keynote 2.0 broke the remote:

iOS 7 update:
The Bluetooth Smart Pointer continues to function with iOS7, however, the home button no longer toggles voiceover on/off. Instead, to toggle voiceover on/off, you must press the home button three times or activate Siri by pressing and holding down the home button on the remote, then asking Siri to turn voiceover on/off. Voiceover must be on to use the Bluetooth Smart Pointer with Keynote on the iPad.

Keynote 2.0 update: The Bluetooth Smart Pointer will not work in Keynote 2.0 on a iOS device when connected to an external monitor or using AirPlay. When using the Bluetooth Smart Pointer directly on the iOS device, elements on the slide will be highlighted. Slides can still be advanced. We have contacted Apple to resolve this issue and are awaiting a response. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your patience. Please return to this page for updates.

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
It looks like Keynote 2.0 broke the remote:

iOS 7 update:
The Bluetooth Smart Pointer continues to function with iOS7, however, the home button no longer toggles voiceover on/off. Instead, to toggle voiceover on/off, you must press the home button three times or activate Siri by pressing and holding down the home button on the remote, then asking Siri to turn voiceover on/off. Voiceover must be on to use the Bluetooth Smart Pointer with Keynote on the iPad.

Keynote 2.0 update: The Bluetooth Smart Pointer will not work in Keynote 2.0 on a iOS device when connected to an external monitor or using AirPlay. When using the Bluetooth Smart Pointer directly on the iOS device, elements on the slide will be highlighted. Slides can still be advanced. We have contacted Apple to resolve this issue and are awaiting a response. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your patience. Please return to this page for updates.

Too bad, but with a working jailbreak out anyways and a BTC mouse and trackpad update on the way, it doesn't really matter.

jim_chung

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2015
I can confirm that the new Kensington Presentair Pro Bluetooth remote does work very well with IOS 8 and above. Use my ipad Mini retina for Powerpoint presentations, works flawlessly!

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
So the iPhone Keynote remote app is only for controlling the Mac? Meh.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
So the iPhone Keynote remote app is only for controlling the Mac? Meh.

You can use the Keynote app on an iPhone to control the Keynote app on a Mac or iPad (or another iPhone) - on the device to use as a remote, the button looks like an iPhone with a play button on the document picking screen. On the iPad or iPhone you're using to run the presentation, you'll need to pair the remote function through the Tools > Presentation Tools menu (Allow Remote Control). It also shows a preview of the presentation and allows you to draw on the slides during the presentation.

I suspect it was easier to roll that functionality into Keynote instead of maintaining a separate app and this way every device can be a source or a remote.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.