Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thai

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
Just wondering...ever since i got AW (June 2015), my iPhone is now permanently on silent mode. And the time that i charge my AW (in evening while eating dinner), i carry my iPhone around or switch off silent mode. After charging, i put my watch back on and go to sleep.

I have never missed a call or message.

Anyone else like me?

Reactions: Goatllama

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Nope because some apps refuse to make any sound at all while in silent mode such as some games.

However yes the majority of the time my phone is in silent mode as well as the watch itself.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
I don't own a watch, but my phone is on silent 100% of the time (or 95%, the switch sometimes flicks in my pocket).

Jessem1133

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Silent, no vibration.

Love it. Literally the only reason I'm still wearing my SS. Well, that and the Milanese is gorgeous.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Just wondering...ever since i got AW (June 2015), my iPhone is now permanently on silent mode. And the time that i charge my AW (in evening while eating dinner), i carry my iPhone around or switch off silent mode. After charging, i put my watch back on and go to sleep.

Anyone else like me?

No. On the contrary, my Watch is always in silent mode. (only vibration)

(I don't understand why you put your phone in silent mode since it will not notify you anyway if you're wearing the Watch, hence no sound will come off it)

Laserducky

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2013

Anyone else like me?

Yeps,

I keep on silent nearly all the time as my watch notifies me without disturbing anyone else around me. Its the first time that I've stopped changing the ringtones/notification alerts on my iphone :)

Cheers !
[doublepost=1455590824][/doublepost]
No. On the contrary, my Watch is always in silent mode. (only vibration)

(I don't understand why you put your phone in silent mode since it will not notify you anyway if you're wearing the Watch, hence no sound will come off it)

Incoming calls still make my phone vibrate on silent even when I'm wearing the watch. Vice versa : incoming calls on the phone make the watch vibrate as well even when I'm not wearing it.

Cheers !

Cancelled
Nov 10, 2013
my iphone is silent and no vibrations... also my watch are silent, just taptic engine is on

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Incoming calls still make my phone vibrate on silent even when I'm wearing the watch. Vice versa : incoming calls on the phone make the watch vibrate as well even when I'm not wearing it.

Cheers !

Ah.. forgot about phone rings.

Smurphy Gherkin

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
Like everyone, on silent all the time and taptic only for the win.

When my Watch was being repaired at Apple for two weeks I had to go back to a noisy phone. Like an animal.

It seriously makes my wife's phone feel like something from 1982, dinging away and shattering the still silence of the happy home.

Reactions: BarracksSi

AronDraws

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2014
Burbank, CA
I've been wondering about this-- I noticed Im not getting text notifications on my phone anymore but Im not seeing them on the watch either. I keep missing my boyfriend's texts :/

I don't mind there being a visual cue on the phone AND the watch.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA

Anyone else like me?

YES!

I got my Apple Watch in mid-July, switched everything to silent by Day 2 or 3. Never looked back. Silent taptic notifications were actually the primary reason I bought the Apple Watch. I just wanted to leave things on the default for a couple of days before switching. I found the sounds made by the AW were subtle enough that only I usually noticed them, but in a quiet room others would notice as well. The taptics were enough on their own for me. Yes there are times when I don't notice the haptics, but within a short time I will see the red dot. Before the Apple Watch I could go much longer without realizing I had a notification.

Every now and then I will enable sounds and forget to disable them later. My iPhone will actually make noise and it startles me! :p

Overall I find taptics to be more discreet and less stressful than audible notifications. I enjoy having a totally quiet watch and phone when it comes to notifications.

Sean

PS: I realize that in quiet situations you can hear the vibrations of the taptic engine (seems like on some watches more than others) but on mine it has never been loud enough that someone else would notice... even in a quiet room.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Count me in for dead silent, no more vibration.

I had forgotten how annoying the phone's vibrations were until I turned them back on and got a simple text when I wasn't wearing my AW and the phone was on the table. "BZZT BZZT BZZT!" Damn. I flipped the switch back to audible mode because I'd rather hear the Start Trek TNG badge sound I downloaded. ;)

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
Mine is not on silent because I like things like the keyboard clicks and you don't get those when the phone is in silent mode. When the watch is connected pretty much the only sound you get is the ring tone, so I created a custom, silent ringtone for the phone using GarageBand. No sound, no vibration but I can keep the 'useful' sounds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.