Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Or the old one will just work? Will your carrier charge you more because of 5G? I don't intend to change my plan but just wanted to know if they will do anything in regard. I'm in Canada

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
No, your old Sim will just work. Telus, Bell and Rogers all have (sub 6 Ghz) coverage in major cities and aren't charging extra for it at this time (it sounded like they all planned to start charging extra for it after a trial period, but they all have since reversed course on that). If you are with a national flanker brand (Koodo, Virgin or Fido) 5G coverage will probably come much later. Not sure of the status of other regional carriers (SaskTel or Videotron).

Reactions: katbel

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
No, your old Sim will just work. Telus, Bell and Rogers all have (sub 6 Ghz) coverage in major cities and aren't charging extra for it at this time (it sounded like they all planned to start charging extra for it after a trial period, but they all have since reversed course on that). If you are with a national flanker brand (Koodo, Virgin or Fido) 5G coverage will probably come much later. Not sure of the status of other regional carriers (SaskTel or Videotron).
Thanks a lot for your detailed answer!

ShawnyRHarvey

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2018
Hamilton, ON
Got confirmation from Telus earlier this week

B75C8943-AD86-4A0C-973D-DF29278736E3.jpeg

Deinocheirus

Suspended
Oct 5, 2020
Can't remember the last time I touched a SIM card. I just turn on the new phone and it has my number. Then I send the old one back. Do people still touch SIM cards?

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
Can't remember the last time I touched a SIM card. I just turn on the new phone and it has my number. Then I send the old one back. Do people still touch SIM cards?

yes they do. If you get a new phone that is not tied to a carrier you have to take out your Sim card from your phone and put it into the new phone.

hull22

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2011
Seattle, WA
My T-Mobile rep today asked me not to switch my old sim card to the new iPhone 12 Pro that I preordered due to 5G.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
When you switch it to a new iPhone ?

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I wouldn't be surprised to see 12s models next year. Newer Qualcomm modem (so that and other improvements will improve battery life). Faster SoC. Other improvements, but probably not a redesign for phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.