Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
It says she was shackled to a bench.
Note now they're saying they rebooked her on the next flight. They didn't say that before.

It's standard practice to list a removed passenger (for behavior, alchohol, etc.) on the next flight in hopes that they can shape up by then. They'll normally keep listing the rowdy passenger for the next flight(s) unless he/she asks for his/her money back.

Mac Kiwi

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2003
New Zealand
Maybe her hands were shackled in front of her,she then lifted her legs through,slipped down to her neck and was pinned against the bench with no way forward or back again?....is most odd.

What was done to that old woman is outrageous!.......if something like that happened to my mum,and I was there I would break the pricks jaw for him,regardless of the consequences!

leftbanke7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2004
West Valley City, Utah
I know during my recent trip to Japan, the differences between the TSA and their foreign equivilants were quite striking.

While in line at Narita Int'l, if something was expected of you, a person would walk up to you and ask you in a soft voice if you would do what was needed. Getting back to the US, they would just scream at the top of their lungs over and over (and over and over.......).

In Japan, if a new line was being formed, a worker would walk up and point out where they needed/wanted you to stand. US: yep, you got it. More screaming.

Now I know that part of it may be that it was LAX and it is a very busy airport so TSA member's patience is probably frazzled but I am relatively certain that Narita Int'l is every bit as busy yet everybody was much more relaxed and as a result, things went a whole lot smoother.

I do think that part of it is to an extent a power trip. They are essentially working without fear of any consequences because all they have to say is the magical words "I felt they were a security risk" and they are in the clear.

Sometimes the way things are done in the US just makes me shake my head.

ScubaDuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2003
Europe
The situation in the US is ridicoulous. Those TSA people are lowest of the low in terms of educationand sovoir-faire.. Must have scraped the bottom of the barrel :rolleyes:

I simply avoid to connect in the US unless it's the only option :mad:

FRA in EU is best, by far!!!

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
How the heck do you strangle yourself in cuffs? sounds a lil fishy.

Here's an entire article about how to strangle/suffocate yourself when trying to get handcuffed hands from behind your back to the front. It's really not that hard to do, especially if you're not flexible and/or coordinated and/or have a low pain threshold.

Not saying that there isn't more to this story, but managing to kill yourself struggling with handcuffs isn't as improbable as it might initially sound.

JNB

macrumors 604
The situation in the US is ridicoulous. Those TSA people are lowest of the low in terms of educationand sovoir-faire.. Must have scraped the bottom of the barrel :rolleyes:

I simply avoid to connect in the US unless it's the only option :mad:

FRA in EU is best, by far!!!

Replace 'TSA people' with 'Phoenix police officers' and you're definitely correct.

And the beauty of opinions is that intelligence, insight, understanding, or rational basis for asinine commentary is completely optional.

Try throwing things, screaming at the top of your lungs, and resisting arrest anywhere in the EU or US and see what the reaction is.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Nope

It's now revealed that her husband called the airport to alert them of her fragile condition. Apparently no one passed along the message(s).

Correct. No one knew she was a crazy drunk, abandoned by her family, forgotten by friends and on her way to rehab.

It's a tragic story, but the police weren't at fault here. This lady shouldn't have been traveling alone. Her family and friends should have accompanied her.

THEY are the ones to blame here.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
wow people here like to beat on the TSA over a FEW and I repeat a FEW bad apples. In flying since 9/11 I have really only delt with 2 annoying TSA people. One I cannt say I blame him he was venting to himself after dealing yet another person who does not know how to fly with laptops. He was just in ear shot of the girl who failed to do everything with the laptop right.

Mind you this was thanksgiving weekend and almost every flight is fully book with college students. A lot of them this being their first time flying with a laptop.
The other was right after they banned liquids on a plan. I by mistake put some hair gell and sun screen in my backpack. Yeah the person was a bit of an ass to me when I got caught a security and she was being an ass about sayign I cannt do that. I just give her the ok what ever look. I do not react.

Best way to deal with those bad apples is just do not react either way to what they have to say. Just be like ok what ever you say. It really kills off there power because you have no reaction to drive to anger and not giving them the satisfaction of making them feel like they are bigger and better than you.

Also lastly remember the TSA people put up with a lot of crap from people complaining and whining about security rules. People being just jerks to TSA people. It starts wearing thin after a while.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Correct. No one knew she was a crazy drunk, abandoned by her family, forgotten by friends and on her way to rehab.

It's a tragic story, but the police weren't at fault here. This lady shouldn't have been traveling alone. Her family and friends should have accompanied her.

THEY are the ones to blame here.
It is a tragic ending but I'm not looking to blame anyone. She was not abandoned by her family and forgotten. The fact that her husband was concerned, knew of her whereabouts and made calls to the airport to alert them of her condition shows she had a concerned network. And somehow, that information was not passed on since no law enforcement people said they were aware of the calls.

Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime
Also lastly remember the TSA people put up with a lot of crap from people complaining and whining about security rules. People being just jerks to TSA people. It starts wearing thin after a while.
I don't know how the TSA got in to this one, either. But I have no sympathy for their rank because of their work load. Frequent flyers put up with their patronizing lack of discernment and heavy handedness, too. We have to fly and put up with it. If they don't like it, they can get another job. There's two sides to the mutual sharing of teh load.

beatzfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
NYC
It is a tragic ending but I'm not looking to blame anyone. She was not abandoned by her family and forgotten. The fact that her husband was concerned, knew of her whereabouts and made calls to the airport to alert them of her condition shows she had a concerned network. And somehow, that information was not passed on since no law enforcement people said they were aware of the calls.

It was just reported on the local news here in NYC that she had been dead for more than an hour by the time her husband called the airport.

This is a prominent family with plenty of resources.

Somebody should have gone with her.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I don't know how the TSA got in to this one, either. But I have no sympathy for their rank because of their work load. Frequent flyers put up with their patronizing lack of discernment and heavy handedness, too. We have to fly and put up with it. If they don't like it, they can get another job. There's two sides to the mutual sharing of teh load.

Comments like that show how well blind people are. A vast majority of the TSA people are nice people and do not cause any issues. Yet people lump them all in as bad because of a few bad ones that people hardly ever see.
I personally have delt with a wide range of TSA personal from the jerks to the ones that where very nice. Most being on the very nice side. Now some on the busy day could see how they acted where rather beaten down by people being jerks to them.

There are 2 sides to every story but most the time it is people like you painting them all to be bad for a few bad apples and are not forgiving at all about the fact that they are people 2 and have there bad days. It said but lets see some one going though secuirty might have to put up with one jerk of a TSA person per day they fly but on the other had the TSA people have to deal with 100's of them per day. It starts getting at you after a while.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
There are 2 sides to every story but most the time it is people like you painting them all to be bad for a few bad apples and are not forgiving at all about the fact that they are people 2 and have there bad days.
No need to make it personal since you have no idea who I am, how often I travel or how I think. I've thanked TSA for keeping us safe upon occasion when they do their job in a courteous and efficient manner. I've also experienced their "Barney Fife" abuse with both disrespectful and inept handling of situations which were totally uncalled for. My point being that there are indeed two sides. Your insistence to defend their operations without question seems to indicate you've a blind spot. Show me where I've "painted them all bad". That's your projection, not mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.