Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krisfnbs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
Im still a newbie with this device...still figuring out all of the bells and whistles and such but I was wondering if I could buy internet access for like $20 a month so I dont have to be in a wifi hotspot to download itunes and surf the web. Im running the latest version 2.0, and I have not decided if I am going to jailbreak it or not... probably not if I can just download apps now that I have 2.0

Thanks,

Kris

LtRammstein

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2006
Denver, CO
Certain cities have paid WiFi for the entire city, and you can buy that to allow the iPod Touch to be used like an iPhone, just in a very limited area (Longmont, CO is a good example of City WiFi).

For the most part, places have free WiFi you can go to and use, you just gotta search.

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
It's called the iPhone. It's called AT&T. It's called getting locked into a very high priced, long lasting contract.

krisfnbs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
It's called the iPhone. It's called AT&T. It's called getting locked into a very high priced, long lasting contract.

Which is exactly why I dont own the iphone. I dontmind the price of the phone, im just not spending $100 a month on a phone.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Which is exactly why I dont own the iphone. I dontmind the price of the phone, im just not spending $100 a month on a phone.

its 50-60 for the first gen, $70 for the 3G. unless you got over your minutes and text to hell, you wont get a monthly bill of $100. and calling the ipod touch is kind of stupid. if i had an ipod nanp, do ppl call it inano? or iclassic? or ishuffle? no. dont be that lazy and just type "ipod touch' out.

but to the OP, no you cannot. this isnt newbie or not, it's a sense of what WiFi is and what cellular network is. dont mean to sound hostile, but you can buy access to internet, like at starbucks and cafes and such, but as for anywhere internet, no, only the iphone, and thats assuming there are 3G networks, which are scatterred all over the place in the US.

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
Certain cities have paid WiFi for the entire city, and you can buy that to allow the iPod Touch to be used like an iPhone, just in a very limited area (Longmont, CO is a good example of City WiFi).

For the most part, places have free WiFi you can go to and use, you just gotta search.

actually, the entire state of south carolina is now covered in Wifi... :D

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Well, you could turn your car into a roving wifi hotspot and then use the touch's wifi connection to access the Net. I think the 3G wifi router is about $500 and the service about $29 a month...

Hmmm, that sounds very interesting. Any idea why this would work only in a car? I mean, why wouldn't I be able to walk around with this in my purse and have WiFi everywhere? (Well, aside from needing a power source! :p)

hbah427

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
actually, the entire state of south carolina is now covered in Wifi... :D

no...they only passed the law to do that (I know, my mom is a legislator) it will go into effect in about 2009

BUT don't cancel your home Internet because there's wifi everywhere!!
State wifi is like government distributed food
It's still food but don't expect roasted lamb or lobster.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
its 50-60 for the first gen, $70 for the 3G. unless you got over your minutes and text to hell, you wont get a monthly bill of $100.

Are AT&T and state/national fees a lot lower in California than they are elsewhere? I haven't heard of anyone actually getting a $50 monthly bill for the original iPhone -- as far as I know, the lowest official plan for the first gen iPhone was $59.99 plus taxes and fees. From what I've heard of AT&T users, that comes out to about $65-70 in actually monthly charges (exclusive of overage charges). Even with T-Mobile, whose fees and charges seem much lower, I pay about $5 in fees on my $65 rate plan.... Unless you drop data and get a $39.99 monthly plan with no data and no texting services, it's going to be tough to get an actual bill of $50 a month (unless perhaps you go prepaid instead of postpaid, but then you wouldn't be talking about monthly bills anyway).

MacLadybug

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2008
Free 2 hrs of WiFi every day @ any Starbucks!

If you buy a Starbucks card (Assuming you frequent Starbucks) you can qualify for 2 hours of free AT&T WiFi at all Starbucks every day. I just learned this yesterday. All you have to do is go to the Starbucks web site and register the card... costs nothing to register. Then you add the WiFi rewards at the same web site to the registered card... also costs nothing. As long as you use your card, I think it's once a month, you automatically get 2 free hours of Wifi every day. You also get free coffee refills and free syrups, etc.

For me when I'm on the go, 2 hours is more than enough time to get what I need done on my laptop. Their ad shows it on an iPod Touch. I love Starbucks.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
If you buy a Starbucks card (Assuming you frequent Starbucks) you can qualify for 2 hours of free AT&T WiFi at all Starbucks every day.

Doesn't exactly help when you are wandering around the streets of an unfamiliar city, looking for the nearest Starbucks, and wishing you had an WiFi connection so you can look it up on Yelp or GoogleMaps.

I really don't need a phone, I'd never use it enough to justify the cost of $70/month ATT service plan for the iPhone. But I sure wish the Touch had a data connection to the internet wherever I go. If ATT would offer a data-only plan at $30/month plus pay for any minutes you use for phone calls, I'd probably switch to an iPhone.

MacLadybug

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2008
Doesn't exactly help when you are wandering around the streets of an unfamiliar city, looking for the nearest Starbucks, and wishing you had an WiFi connection so you can look it up on Yelp or GoogleMaps.

Just trying to come up with options...

m1stake

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Philly
its 50-60 for the first gen, $70 for the 3G. unless you got over your minutes and text to hell, you wont get a monthly bill of $100.

$70 with no texts. But that does not include the government taxes, which will easily make it $80. Add $5 for texts, we're talking $86. Start texting a lot (250 messages is not that many for 30 days), and you're easily into the $90s.

cLin

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2006
Is it possible to somehow get your phone to act like a wireless point? Then connect to your phone?

therealmrbob

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2008
Is it possible to somehow get your phone to act like a wireless point? Then connect to your phone?
Some phones you can, depending on what phone you have etc.

there's an application like this for windows mobile, and symbian I believe as well (maybe? idk... XD do symbian phones even have wifi?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.