Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Pretty sure NFC is going to be the next fad that doesn't take off. I was with someone who used it on their phone, it took her longer to get her phone out, find and open the app and pay than it did for me to pay with plastic. And it's just one more place to store my credit card info where it could potentially be stolen. I have zero desire to use it.

The right thing to do is have the app open while you're in line and ready to go, not open it up when the cashier tells you your total.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Pretty sure NFC is going to be the next fad that doesn't take off. I was with someone who used it on their phone, it took her longer to get her phone out, find and open the app and pay than it did for me to pay with plastic. And it's just one more place to store my credit card info where it could potentially be stolen. I have zero desire to use it.

Agree.

But the gadget nerd in me wants it, and to play with it.

Last edited:

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
To be clear, unless Apple re-sparks it. NFC is the fad that is already dead. My last card refresh, NFC was yanked.

The few stores that had readers, some are being pulled and replaced with MSR+EMV (though some have all, with MSR+EMV+NFC).

Cards are being pulled.

Chase To Discontinue Its Blink Contactless Card
May 8, 2014

Getting rid of blink clears the way for Chase to concentrate on EMV, according to Lodge. “Rather than a retreat, this [news about blink] may be the beginning of a charge,” he says. “EMV is one vehicle to expand the card issuance yet further, and a tipping point for Chase to sell EMV terminals to merchants.”
http://digitaltransactions.net/news...Card_-But-It_s-Unlikely-To-Slow-EMV-Migration

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
My bank card has NFC built into it. That would be the 'Tap' function mentioned earlier. I only use it to buy coffee in McD. Soon, this Tapping will replace Oyster Cards for travelling on London Transport. I cannot see myself faffing about with phones to pay for things.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Many of the retailers in my community (West Coast of Canada) have the 'tap' function enabled for the chip on our credit cards, and the local supermarket recently bumped the limit for tapping to something above the previous limit of $50 for 'tapping'. Love it. It's so fast to just to just pull the card out and tap and go. Takes longer for the receipt to print now than to pay.

The confusing part is that some store's card readers will display the message that 'tapping' is possible, though it's not actually turned on. Then you have to insert the chip. The good stores have taped a note to the card reader at least.

We've had the chip thing for a long time here. It's fun to read about our southern cousins going through the transition. Embrace the change! It won't hurt... really.... :)

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
The right thing to do is have the app open while you're in line and ready to go, not open it up when the cashier tells you your total.

The right thing to do is to have your card out while you're in line and ready to go. It's still just as fast to swipe. NFC does not save any time.

The only time NFC might save time is if you're one of those people who keeps all your cards at the limit and you have to try 8 different cards until one doesn't get declined.

----------

My bank card has NFC built into it. That would be the 'Tap' function mentioned earlier. I only use it to buy coffee in McD. Soon, this Tapping will replace Oyster Cards for travelling on London Transport. I cannot see myself faffing about with phones to pay for things.

I really hope TfL doesn't replace Oyster cards with an NFC phone app. You thought us tourists trying to use an Oyster card were slowing things down now? Just wait till we have to use an app :p

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Most Walmarts, some Home Depots, and some small shops (mostly using First Data FD35's) hardly counts as "everyone else but Target". Target also has the new terminals, but bizarrely has EMV disabled on them, you'd think they'd be the first to want to get it going...

The iPhone 6 is likely to have NFC payment, yes.

Walmart's system is just slow... even swipes can be.

Only one bank in the US (UNFCU) currently issues chip and PIN cards. USAA quit issuing them (they still call them chip and PIN, but the ones going out now aren't - so treasure that card!) and Diner's Club issues them, but doesn't accept new members in the US.

Well that's what I mean by everyone else but Target. It seems everyone else is enabling EMV, and NFC, while Target isn't. If anything they should have been first to enable it.

I guess they were waiting on some new registers, but so far some old junky slow software as before. Last I heard they were supposed to convert their US stores to Retalix to be in line with Canada. (Also with it bring Chip and PIN and self checkout to Targets in the US). I don't think the software in its current state can support self checkout which is why only Canadian targets have SCO.

I did some research on Self Checkout as well and most solutions will only work with regular POS solutions like IBM 4690, or NCR AdvancedCheckout but Target's POS is all home grown.

The speed difference between Swipe vs. Insert at Walmart is negligible. It's only one speed: Slow. You're staring at "Authorization in Progress -- One Moment" screen for at least 20 seconds during either a Swipe or EMV transaction.

Last edited:

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
The speed difference between Swipe vs. Insert at Walmart is negligible. It's only one speed: Slow. You're staring at "Authorization in Progress -- One Moment" screen for at least 20 seconds during either a Swipe or EMV transaction.

Sounds like Wal-Mart needs to upgrade their system. Guess they'll do that after they start paying their employees a living wage.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Sounds like Wal-Mart needs to upgrade their system. Guess they'll do that after they start paying their employees a living wage.

I worked at Walmart and I do agree, however it's retail in general, not just Walmart with these wages. A store in the mall pays less than Walmart does. Target in my area pays less than Walmart. I no longer work there but a lot of the Walmart bad press is just that, I really never seen any of the crazy stuff others claim to see. My store ran like any other store that isn't Walmart.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

Walmart doesn't want people who need a living wage. They want people who want supplemental income. That's not their problem to fix.

jeremysteele

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2011
so... may sound a bit stupid... but I'm curious about one thing involving chip and pin.

How exactly does it work when you say, go through a fast-food drive-through? Is there a keypad near the window to enter your pin or something?

Or do those merchants just not use it?

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
so... may sound a bit stupid... but I'm curious about one thing involving chip and pin.

How exactly does it work when you say, go through a fast-food drive-through? Is there a keypad near the window to enter your pin or something?

Or do those merchants just not use it?

They usually will hand you the PIN pad through the fast food drive through (Had this happen to me at Dairy Queen), or run the card as a "Chip & Signature" transaction.

At Sonic, in the regular drive through part (not the car stalls, but the regular drive through) they had a PIN pad built into the wall. At Jack in the Box, they have a card swiper, and an NFC reader also built into the wall.

One of the key benefits Chip & PIN brings, is that the card never leaves your hand, and if it does, the terminal is right there in front of you.

At table restaurants, the waiter will either bring the reader to you, or more recently use something like the Ziosk/iPads/etc at the table already.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
The right thing to do is to have your card out while you're in line and ready to go. It's still just as fast to swipe. NFC does not save any time.

The only time NFC might save time is if you're one of those people who keeps all your cards at the limit and you have to try 8 different cards until one doesn't get declined.

----------

I really hope TfL doesn't replace Oyster cards with an NFC phone app. You thought us tourists trying to use an Oyster card were slowing things down now? Just wait till we have to use an app :p
The card isn't hard to use at all, in fact in the US:

- LA metro TAP
-SF ClipperCard
-CharlieCard
-Orca
-Phoenix Valley Metro PlatinumPass

And more, and they all work the same way if you can read instructions. In fact ClipperCard and Tap are built on the same systems as Oyster (Cubic Transportation Systems), while Phoenix, and Boston T are built on Germany's system (Scheidt & Bachmann) ...notice the similarities in fare cards and ticket machines...... I say bring on the app.

The thing that gets most people with these cards is that tap at the end of your trip thing so it can properly charge you.

P.S. Even tried to tap a UK Oyster card on our rail system and it just says "Card Declined"...obviously it can read it, just doesn't know what to do with it ;)....it doesn't even try to read a PayPass card however so they are running on something different.

Last edited:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The confusing part is that some store's card readers will display the message that 'tapping' is possible, though it's not actually turned on. Then you have to insert the chip.

I've seen that here too (Countdown, I'm looking at you!) although even more bizarrely it'll ask me to *swipe* after I tap.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
what i find interesting around here is that somehow the terminal autheticate way, way, WAY faster when using paypass/paywave than using chip and pin.

hold the card to the terminal and it's done

At first i was rather sceptical but when you are buying some small stuff (the limit here is 25€) it really speeds up the process over the normal PIN authentication where there always is a few seconds wait after entering the card in the slot and another few after entering the pin.

ideal for picking up the small stuff(fresh bread, milk etc.) on the way home after work

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003

- LA metro TAP
-SF ClipperCard
-CharlieCard
-Orca

And more, and they all work the same way if you can read instructions. In fact ClipperCard and Tap are built on the same systems as Oyster (Cubic Transportation Systems), while Phoenix, and Boston T are built on Germany's system (Scheidt & Bachmann) ...notice the similarities in fare cards and ticket machines...... I say bring on the app.

The thing that gets most people with these cards is that tap at the end of your trip thing so it can properly charge you.

P.S. Even tried to tap a UK Oyster card on our rail system and it just says "Card Declined"...obviously it can read it, just doesn't know what to do with it ;)....it doesn't even try to read a PayPass card however so they are running on something different.

Oyster is probably using the same payment app. I can't test it because a friend has my Oyster card right now, but I'm pretty sure.

----------

Well that's what I mean by everyone else but Target. It seems everyone else is enabling EMV, and NFC, while Target isn't. If anything they should have been first to enable it.

So, by "everyone else" you mean Walmart, some small shops with certain terminals from Chase and First Data, and maybe some Home Depots now?

That's far from everyone. Now let me name and shame some retailers near me who, like Target, have EMV terminals with the EMV function disabled: Best Buy, Wet Seal, Aeropostale, US Postal Service, Barnes and Noble, Lowes, Albertson's, Smith's, and many, many more.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO

- LA metro TAP
-SF ClipperCard
-CharlieCard
-Orca

I know how to use an Oyster card, been to London several times. They're pretty idiot proof, although tourists still manage to screw it up.

I'm saying if the physical card is replaced with NFC+phone app, things will slow down. NFC is a solution in search of a problem.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea

How exactly does it work when you say, go through a fast-food drive-through? Is there a keypad near the window to enter your pin or something? ...
Around here, at the ferry kiosk at the small terminal I use, they just take your card and swipe it. They don't even bother to get a signature. I'm pretty sure you're on camera though.... so if the charge is disputed they have a picture of the person using it.
I know how to use an Oyster card, been to London several times. They're pretty idiot proof, although tourists still manage to screw it up....
Vancouver is in the process of setting up an Oyster-like payment for their Skytrain system - tap in and then tap on the way out again. The readers are in place, but not yet turned on for mass use (there are some testers using the system though). Howerver, a lot of tourists are trained to use the system and get flummoxed trying to use the printed ticket or day passes on the reader. They'll stand there waving the ticket at various parts of the stile waiting for a message to them that they've tapped in successfully. Until a friendly local points out to them that the readers are, for now, just for show.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Chip and Pin?

What next USA? Colour TV? :p

At least we process all of our transactions the instant it takes place. I know that was one reason you guys needed Chip and PIN before we did...offline transactions

Even your streetside vendor will process your transaction over 3G to let it process instantaneously.

Point is moot now that we also have Chip and PIN

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I'm a little curious about the name "chip and PIN" - did the US/UK systems not support a PIN on the magnetic stripe or something?

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011

To me it's the same whether it's your wallet, purse, or phone. My wife waits for the total before getting her card out of her purse and that drives me NUTS. I pretty much have my card out and ready once I get in line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.