Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoeKarame

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2005
Well, the credit card has passed out in shock, but I picked up my MBP a few hours ago. Got the middle of the range model, and it's just great. No perceptible whine - pretty much as quiet as my iBook really.

But, as known, it is a hot little bugger. It's definitely not going to be on my lap, that's for damn sure! Still, it's no hotter than any of the ones I've used in the Apple stores - and seeing as those ones are on for hours a day I'm not going to complain.

Looking forward to getting to know it better!

dantay

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2006
UK
JoeKarame said:
Well, the credit card has passed out in shock, but I picked up my MBP a few hours ago. Got the middle of the range model, and it's just great. No perceptible whine - pretty much as quiet as my iBook really.

But, as known, it is a hot little bugger. It's definitely not going to be on my lap, that's for damn sure! Still, it's no hotter than any of the ones I've used in the Apple stores - and seeing as those ones are on for hours a day I'm not going to complain.

Looking forward to getting to know it better!

I'm waiting for my second MBP as the first one whined.....could you let me know what week of production yours is (its the 3rd and 4th digits of the serial number ignoring the W) mine was a week 15 and had quite a few build quality issues so it would be nice to know if Apple are sorting things. Thanks

JoeKarame

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2005
dantay said:
I'm waiting for my second MBP as the first one whined.....could you let me know what week of production yours is (its the 3rd and 4th digits of the serial number ignoring the W) mine was a week 15 and had quite a few build quality issues so it would be nice to know if Apple are sorting things. Thanks

Serial number on mine is:
86144UBVJ1

Hope that helps!

dantay

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2006
UK
JoeKarame said:
86144UBVJ1

Hope that helps!

Thanks for letting me know....its a week 14 so earlier than mine.....would seem to be pot luck whether it whines or not! We're in week 18 of production now so it seems crazy to still have units with this problem....come on apple.

JoeKarame

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2005
Uh-Oh. Bit of a whine starting. Strangely enough, it seemed to be linked to the i-sight camara. It was fine before I shot up Photobooth to see what that was like (fantastic fun, by the way!). Switch it off, and the whine started. Switched Photobooth on again, the whine stopped. Haven't got a clue whether it's just coincidence, or something else.

Have to say though, unless something strange happens, it not anywhere near bad enough for me to return it! Considering the amount of background noise I usually have all over the place at home, it's nothing much at all!

Still, it's a bit odd.

Shaddow825

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2006
dantay said:
Thanks for letting me know....its a week 14 so earlier than mine.....would seem to be pot luck whether it whines or not! We're in week 18 of production now so it seems crazy to still have units with this problem....come on apple.

Not to be picky, but it's the 18th week of the year, not of production. The 1st MBPs were week 7 I believe. Not that this shouldn't be fixed by week 11 tho :)

dantay

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2006
UK
Shaddow825 said:
Not to be picky, but it's the 18th week of the year, not of production. The 1st MBPs were week 7 I believe. Not that this shouldn't be fixed by week 11 tho :)

Ok....thanks for that....so W8615 is not week 15? I expect my new one to be another week 15 or a 16 possibly 17? Cheers

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
about the heat, put it on a stand of some sort. Before i did, the temp at the hard drive after light usage was 42 degrees C. i put it on a stand, and the temperature dropped to 38 degrees after fairly heavy gaming!

I can only get temp readings of SMART Disk ST910021AS (3MH05E41), which i assume is the HDD. Does anyone know how i can get any other monitors to work?

EDIT: I found a program called CoreDuoTemp which gives the CPU temp reading, and after gaming, it reads 79 C.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
dantay said:
Ok....thanks for that....so W8615 is not week 15? I expect my new one to be another week 15 or a 16 possibly 17? Cheers
Shaddow's right, but I think people have generally been calling their machines "Week XX" based on W86XX.

crazydrumma

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2006
Chicago
I just ordered a 15 inch MBP, and I've got my fingers crossed that it has no whine. Some heat I can deal with, that whine, however, I could not.

macanudo

macrumors regular
May 9, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Congrats on everyone who is getting the MBP. I have tons of heat as well, no whine. I recommend getting an icurve laptop stand to help circulate the heat under the unit a bit better.

Shaddow825

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2006
dantay said:

It is a week 15, the 15th week of the year (ie: the week of April 9th if I counted right) The first week of MBP production was the 7th week of 2006.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
JoeKarame said:
86144UBVJ1

Hope that helps!

NEVER NEVER NEVER post your serial number.....I suggest going back and editing that. That is one of the stupidest things you can do.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
spencecb said:
NEVER NEVER NEVER post your serial number.....I suggest going back and editing that. That is one of the stupidest things you can do.

What exactly is the risk in posting the serial number?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.