Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

obelix

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2004
Saweet. I just got 1 GB of RAM from crucial for my new 15" powerbook, and it works flawlessly so far. Its like a whole new world. Everything is very zippy. I had 512MB of RAM that came with my powerbook before this, but the crucial stuff seems to have given it a definite speed boost. I was kind of skeptical whether OS X would use the extra RAM if it had it available (I know my Windows box sure doesn't... anything over 300 Mb goes right to the page file... stupid windows.)

Anyways it seems that OS X will gobble up RAM if it's got it available. After starting up all my favorite apps like iMovie, iPhoto, Photoshop CS, etc. I am very pleased to see that it'll use it if it's available. So cool. I'm also very pleased with how easy the RAM was to install. I can't believe that people pay to have RAM stuck in it was that simple. Almost dummy proof really.

So what do you guys think? Should I sell my 2x256Mb sticks of RAM that Apple included with the book when i got it? How much do these usually go for round these parts?

Bring on the Tiger and CoreVideo!!! Now that I've got 1GB of RAM I'm as ready as I'll ever be... buahaha.

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
Use the other 256

If I were you I would put the other 256 in the computer. Assuming you got a 1GB module.... Sell the other 256.

Nuc

obelix

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2004
No I got 2 x 512 MB not a single stick so I'll have to sell both. Do you think it would be best to sell them seperately or together?

niggiebro

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2003
City of Angels
Wow great news glad to here it! :rolleyes:

FYI, only WIN98 and WINMe have problems with RAM over 300MB, WINXP handles it well.

Regarding you selling your old RAM it sells for $60. new so not sure how much you'll willing to loose selling your old RAM! :p

Maybe 2 for 1... LOL :D

obelix

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2004
Actually I have found Windows XP to be just as stupid. It uses the RAM for a while, and then if the program is not active enough it pages the whole thing out to the hard-drive. I have never seen my Windows 2003 Server machine or my Windows XP use more than 400 Mb of Ram. Right now as I work away on my powerbook it's using a nice 700Mb of Ram. One of my friends who frequently works with video editing on Windows XP also grumbles about the same issue... Windows just likes to keep a lot of memory free and will page it out to the hard drive whenever it can. I don't think that Windows is nearly as memory concious as OS X is, but maybe thats just my experience.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
obelix said:
No I got 2 x 512 MB not a single stick so I'll have to sell both. Do you think it would be best to sell them seperately or together?
If your machine is still under warranty/AppleCare, it woud be wise to keep one and only sell the other one.

For certain repairs, you will need to stick some Apple memory back into the system before Apple with repair a machine.

niggiebro

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2003
City of Angels
obelix,

Not sure why you guys have so much trouble with your Win products, but I just ran 3 WMP and 2 QT videos along with being online and posting here on my system running 512MB RAM with no problems. Task Manager showing 412 MB being used as all this happening, but anyways I use more Win products than Mac and still favor Mac! :p

obelix

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2004
It's not that it's a problem... its just that windows is too stupid to recognize that it has 1GB of RAM available. The moment OS X realizes that there is RAM to be had... it takes it. With Windows it'll take it for a very short period of time... and then it'll page it to the hard drive regardless of whether or not having the extra RAM free is necessary. It's just got very poor memory handling.. its a sad microsoft fact.

Bear thanks for the heads up on Applecare. I should keep it a while longer. Good call.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.