Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I just placed the order for my dual gig machine, and I should get it next week! Mmmm... now i can finally bust out that copy of FCP 3 I bought in December. Mmmm..... non linear editing...

Lethal

P.S. Thread crapping by bringing up what might happen at MWNY is not allowed. ;)

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Woohoo! I'm offically a Mac owner!

Originally posted by LethalWolfe

P.S. Thread crapping by bringing up what might happen at MWNY is not allowed. ;)

Heh.... :)

Congrats... let us know how it goes... what were you moving up from?

arn

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Don't yout think you should wait until the G5 comes out? I heard from my brother's girlfriend's Dad who knows someone that walked by Apple headquarters that it will come out at MWNY. :rolleyes:

Sorry...you tempted me.:D :p

Congrats on the purchase. I got my first Mac in October last year and it has been an amazing experience.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by Rower_CPU

Congrats on the purchase. I got my first Mac in October last year and it has been an amazing experience.

Rower - I didn't realize you were a recent convert... what did you move up from? What's your story...

arn

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by arn

Rower - I didn't realize you were a recent convert... what did you move up from? What's your story...

arn

Ahhh...the stuff of legends...

I built my first PC (450MHz K6-2 system) in '99 and the experience was very educational, but very stressful too. I figured that because I was new to it that I hade made a lot of mistakes and that by trying again I would do better. My only mistakes the first time turned out to be buying the parts from Fry's. Of all the parts I bought there, only the video card and monitor ended up working. Ouch!

By the next year I felt that my budget system was already not up to my needs, so I sold it for $500 (serious depreciation) and did a lot of research on good parts and techniques. I got good parts from a good vendor and stuff went much better, but still not flawlessly. I put together an 800MHz Athlon (PGA, not slot) system, but still had nightmares with chipset and soundcard issues (VIA and Creative don't get along real well). Once all was working, after several patches and BIOS updates, I had oh so much fun with Windows and all the crap that the OS entails. I progressed through 98 SE to ME and each update didn't really seem to do much.

Last summer I figured that I could do an even better job (I still hadn't learned my lesson). I gave my old PC to my parents and went to work on a "kick-ass Athlon rig" (there's no such thing). After a couple of thousand bucks for the aluminum case, 19" monitor, 1.33 GHz CPU, mobo with onboard RAID, 768 MB of RAM, etc and so on...I had a great looking machine ( I even made my own rounded cables), but it was still plagued by the same kinds of problems. Even the almighty Windows XP didn't make any difference. XP is much more stable and has better driver support, but it still has its fair share of Windows quirks (I still can't get my Zip drive to work right).

I had been working with Macs for multimedia at work for a couple of years by this point and I was completely in love with the Titanium PowerBook that came out in January last year. I knew that they were more stable, easier to use and I was really excited about OS X. So I waited for the prices to drop on the Rev A TiBooks and bought the 400 MHz model in October. I immediately experienced the classic Apple experience: buy something and Apple will update it the next day and leave the price about the same. I love my Mac and I *seriously* can't wait for the next gen desktop to come out so that I can sell off the PC and clear my home of the WinTel vibes that emanate from it every time I boot it up.

Phew...does that about cover it?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Re: Re: Woohoo! I'm offically a Mac owner!

Originally posted by arn

Heh.... :)

Congrats... let us know how it goes... what were you moving up from?

arn

I'm excited. :)

My current rig is a P3 that I built to be my general use and editing computer. She's done all I ask of her... but she can't run FCP. So I sold off the editing hardware and now she's gonna be my general use machine.

My G4 is gonna be a pure editing work station. Right now I'm gonna use FCP and iDVD and later DVD Studio pro, AE and Photoshop when I get more $$$. This is gonna be so cool... no more sending out my reel on VHS... it's DVD all the way baby! :D

Lethal

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Way to go on the switch!

Now you are truly a MAC-man!

Myself, I have a half-gig Cube, and two G3s, and I think that I am the only student of Pascack Hills in which I am the only current student that uses a Mac extensively. Now I just have to work on switching Pascack Hills to Macs!

I had to post that! And I think that Neil Armstrong put it best:

That's one small step for man, one giant leap for MAC-kind!

I have a hat with my name on it!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Re: Re: Woohoo! I'm offically a Mac owner!

Originally posted by LethalWolfe

My G4 is gonna be a pure editing work station. Right now I'm gonna use FCP and iDVD and later DVD Studio pro, AE and Photoshop when I get more $$$. This is gonna be so cool... no more sending out my reel on VHS... it's DVD all the way baby! :D

sweet... I expect a full report when you get your G4...

It's an experience... from opening the box on...

arn

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Hey Rower_CPU, which mobo did you use??? When I was putting together my game peeece, I was persuaded to use an Asus. All I can say, is that they are very not Scottish (from SNL routine.. if it's not Scottish, it's CRAP!!). I then went and got the Giga-Byte mobo that I originally wanted and it has worked great (that is the only brand mobo I will buy since every one that I have used is still running strong).

I also have built more then a few peecee's even one as a server for my department at work. I put all the Mac software installers, and stuff from user's systems to archive later before we wipe the sytem for redeployment. That one has been running 24/7 for about two years now. The only time it goes down is when we have power failures. I spent enough $$ to do it right, and haven't needed to mess with it since.

The ONLY thing peecee's are good for, are CHEAP servers, games, and door stoppers. They all do the third item well, and it only takes then a couple of years, unless you get lucky. Mac's on the other hand, have a lifespan that is easily two to three times that of peecee's.

Mac's rule, peecee's... well, they are peeeeece's 'nuf said :D

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Alpha:
The first board was a Tyan, the last two Abit.

I've found them to be great quality. The onboard RAID on both gives me 4 extra IDE devices I can hook up :)

I agree that once you know what you're doing and you have good parts you can make an alright machine. They do okay as servers (if you never touch them and keep them patched) and for gaming...although Black and White keeps crashing out on me for no reason :rolleyes:

I am a full fledged Mac convert now...I mean, after the punishment I took, you'd be stupid not to. My PC experience did get me my current job though, so I can't complain. Gotta love being a tech. If it doesn't kill you, it drives you insane and then kills you. :D

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Rower...

Can I get a 'hell yeah'. I have never claimed to be sane :D. The mobo I went with finally has the raid as well (as opposed to a black flag :D ). I used high end hardware so that I wouldn't HAVE to upgrade that later (or within a year or so). It cost me more then I will probably end up spending on my new Mac tower (when that happens). The peeeecee I have is used 100% for games, and then only because my TiBook doesn't do AS WELL with fps games as the one I built. If I had a rev b TiBook that would probably be not so (better vid card in the rev. b). I would be MUCH happier if I could use the TiBook for EVERYTHING, games included. As it stands, I do about 95% of everything on the TiBook. The 5% is games.

While both Mac's and peeeecee's have their uses, strength's and weaknesses, I still use the Mac's a ton more then the peeeeeceee's.

From the tech side of my life (I do that for a living as show in my sig.) Mac's are much, much, much easier to work on and fix. I would be much happier if we could get rid of the 30 or so pc's at work and get everyone onto Mac's. As it stands, there are close to 250 Mac's at my location.

I look forward to the day when windblows is a thing of the past, and very few people remember the horrow of m$. A world with 50% Mac's and 50% linux/unix systems would be a dream. Hackers would also be a thing of the past.

Until that day becomes real, keep the dream alive, and keep on rockin with the Mac's :D.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Alpha:
So how much time/$ did it take you to get the desktop cert? I'm one of those rare techs with no certs, so I was wondering what kind of investment it would take.

Sorry to derail the thread...anyone else new to the Mac world?

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Rower,

The company I work for set it up with Apple to get us the study information (all online). Once I did the studying for a couple of months, I took a break. I then 'brushed up' on everything over the course of a weekend and Monday. I took the test on that Tuesday and passed no problem (in 1/3 the given time).

The test costs $150 each, one for desktops and one for portables. I am now in the process of studying for the portable exam which will then allow me to do many repairs on the laptops as well as just about everything on the desktops.

I think one of Apple's guidelines, if you are not a retail outlet, is that you need something like 250 or 300 Mac systems at your location in order to get the cert.

Have your company look into it, or do some checking online and via phone with Apple. I didn't have to, since corporate took care of all of that for me :D.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Congrats. I hope to be an Apple owner in the very near future, but I'm going to wait a little longer. (moving in the next couple of months), and I've still got to payoff some of the work done on this:

Attachments

• dsc00052.jpg
    dsc00052.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 160

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
This is the equivelant of seeing your beloved TiBook in pieces:

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 156

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
My first mac...

Ohhh...I dont even remember when I got mine. I think the first one i actually HAD was the Mac Classic. I was maybe...9-10 years old. Then, it was really slow so I put a PowerTool 8100 (Apple Clone) in there, and I was maybe 11. Then, I put an iMac 333MHz in my room, and had it in there until about 3 weeks ago. Now, being 13 years old, I am on a G4 500MHz w/18 GB Ultra SCSI HD. It wasnt meant to be a computer, it was really a server, but the server place (DISC) told us they are boosting their prices. So, I ended up sticking the machine in my room, and moving my iMac into the kitchen as a server.

P.S.- I really never bought any of these computers. My dad and my brother are mac nerds, like me, and we have upgraded over the year. I...actually...have the fastest MHz wise G4. My dads is a 450, and my bros is a 466.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.