Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
In word v.x how in the world do i get the page numbering to work how i want.

what i want to do is leave the title page numberless, the the next set of pages (such as table of contents and the like) numbered with i, ii, iii etc, then the next set of pages (the report) with 1,2,3 etc. All the pages are within one document as its a lab writeup.

I know there is an easier way than splitting up this document in 3 seperate files and doing the numbering that way. Any idea?

thanks

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
In word v.x how in the world do i get the page numbering to work how i want.

what i want to do is leave the title page numberless, the the next set of pages (such as table of contents and the like) numbered with i, ii, iii etc, then the next set of pages (the report) with 1,2,3 etc. All the pages are within one document as its a lab writeup.

I know there is an easier way than splitting up this document in 3 seperate files and doing the numbering that way. Any idea?

thanks

For the title page, you can always choose to start numbering after a certain page, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm using Office 2004, not v.x, so I'm not able to verify. For roman vs. arabic numerals, you can (I think) define 'sections' in your document and apply different number styles. Or, try numbering roman first (doing all the pages but the title), then go to your first arabic-numbered page, choose "start numbering from 1 at this point" and change the style to arabic. I think this works too.

Complete aside: if you're going to be doing many lab write-ups like this, you might consider LaTeX as an alternative, because it's a champ at handling these kinds of formatting issues.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
thanks. ive tried section breaks before and when i have done it it does number the pages in the right well section but the numbers are referenced froom the first page.

it does this on me

i,ii,iii,4,5,6,7 if you know what i mean

once again thanks

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
thanks. ive tried section breaks before and when i have done it it does number the pages in the right well section but the numbers are referenced froom the first page.

it does this on me

once again thanks

You can choose to start the numbering over at any point. It should just be a checkbox in Word. Just de-select 'continue from previous section'

Here's where you need to look:

picture1jz6.png

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006

it does this on me

once again thanks

in the page number set up, at the beginning page of each section, choose start at 1 instead of continue from previous page (or some similar wording)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.