Word Page numbering trouble

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dukebound85, Feb 11, 2007.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

In word v.x how in the world do i get the page numbering to work how i want.

what i want to do is leave the title page numberless, the the next set of pages (such as table of contents and the like) numbered with i, ii, iii etc, then the next set of pages (the report) with 1,2,3 etc. All the pages are within one document as its a lab writeup.

I know there is an easier way than splitting up this document in 3 seperate files and doing the numbering that way. Any idea?

thanks

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

For the title page, you can always choose to start numbering after a certain page, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm using Office 2004, not v.x, so I'm not able to verify. For roman vs. arabic numerals, you can (I think) define 'sections' in your document and apply different number styles. Or, try numbering roman first (doing all the pages but the title), then go to your first arabic-numbered page, choose "start numbering from 1 at this point" and change the style to arabic. I think this works too.

Complete aside: if you're going to be doing many lab write-ups like this, you might consider LaTeX as an alternative, because it's a champ at handling these kinds of formatting issues.

3. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

4. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

thanks. ive tried section breaks before and when i have done it it does number the pages in the right well section but the numbers are referenced froom the first page.

it does this on me

i,ii,iii,4,5,6,7 if you know what i mean

once again thanks

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

You can choose to start the numbering over at any point. It should just be a checkbox in Word. Just de-select 'continue from previous section'

Here's where you need to look:

[​IMG]

6. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

in the page number set up, at the beginning page of each section, choose start at 1 instead of continue from previous page (or some similar wording)

7. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85