Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CommonMan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
Midwest
I'm new to Macs and I have an iMac with just the basics. My wife would like to get word processing software for this Mac. I'm wondering what it's called? I don't know what to look for. Can anyone recommend word processing software for us?

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
Microsoft Office? The iMac would have come with a demo of it installed.

You might want to also try Pages, part of Apple's iWork suite. It's going to be updated within weeks, so don't buy iWork yet.

MacsomJRR

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2003
San Diego
Check out Google Docs and Spreadsheet for an online web app with some nifty sharing features. If you are gonna be using a desktop that is always online it might be a good option. You get teh added benefit of being able to edit your documents where ever there is an internet connection.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
look in the applications folder and you should find TextEdit which is a basic word processor......it's free and should already be installed

also, you don't have to buy the whole Microsoft Office package if all you want is word processing....you can Microsoft Word as a stand alone application

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Do you need a MS word processor? Why don't you check out Pages? It's getting more features built into it now and there should be an updated version out soon in iWork 07.

skybolt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Nashville, TN, USA
I use the free Neo Office. Most of the features of Word but free. Will also save docs so that Word users can use them. I prefer not to have anything Microsoft on my machine. I have to use MS products all day at work, and they are so cumbersome and non-user friendly. Give Neo Office a try (VersionTracker). I like it very much!

FrankBlack

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
Looking for Lucy Butler
I've had very good experiences with Nisuswriter Express. Link to Nisus Software

Here is a review of the product.

Fully OS X native, well supported, easy to learn. The full version is forty five dollars, purchased via download. A printed manual is twenty bucks, but you probably won't need this. Yes, it fully supports MS word. A trial version is available. Check it out.

I also prefer to keep my own systems "Microsoft Free". ;)

I haven't played with Pages yet, but the response is generally positive.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
I like Pages. It's not a bad app, it generates attractive results quickly and is priced right. If you need it now, buy iWork 06 but as another poster said, it's going to be updated sooner or later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.