Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackArc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Orange County, CA
I have 32gb free on my HD, any ideas why everything always moves so slow with Office or anything other than JUST safari or itunes?

Thanks!
jack

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
I have 32gb free on my HD, any ideas why everything always moves so slow with Office or anything other than JUST safari or itunes?

Thanks!
jack

The speed at which your mac mini runs has nothing to do with how much space you have. I would guess that you have 512MB of RAM which is a bit on the low side for a mac. I would highly recommend you have atleast 1GB of RAM or more if you can afforde it.

If you are running an intel mac office will run a lot slower since its not ment to run on an intel mac and is doing so via apples translator (rosseta).

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I agree that RAM is probably needed. To make sure this is the case, restart you Mac and then tell us how many page ins and page outs you have after an hour of normal usage. These figures can be found in Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder. :)

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
More RAM, don't ya' know?

I've used both PPC and Intel minis, both seem mind-numbingly slow until you feed the RAM hole.

IN FACT, my core solo is running iTunes, Limewire, Trasmission, MSN, Skype, Safari, Mail, PowerPoint, Word, another mail application, Remote Desktop, and Parallels right now. I didn't relize how many applications I was running......

Kendall015

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
If office 2004 is particularly slow, take a look at this tip from Macworld:

Fix Fonts
Office maintains its own font cache, which can cause problems if damaged. To delete this cache, quit all Office 2004 applications and then drag the file /your user folder/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Office Font Cache (11) to the Trash.

It made my GF's mac mini a lot more responsive when using office.

Also, if you have Acrobat, you should spotlight search for pdfmaker.dot and the other Acrobat plugins for office (pdfmaker.*), and delete them, because they slow down office too.

Source

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

Thanks!
jack

The space on your hard drive is not as important as RAM. Are you running an Intel-based Mac mini or is it using a PowerPC processor?

MS Office, being a PowerPC application, on an Intel processor has to be emulated and that requires a lot of RAM to make it work smoothly.

On a PowerPC-based machine, 512 MB should be considered minimum and on an Intel-based machine running PowerPC applications, the maximum RAM possible should be employed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.