Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amtjb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
I am trying to remove all the author names on all my Wordpress blog post. I have been searching on the internet and found this remedy. "Look at the post above and open single.php, archive.php and index.php and remove the <?php the_author_link(); ?> "This remedy was written three years ago. So I could not ask the poster any questions. I have limited skills in programming, mainly html5. My question is how do I get to the single.php, archive.php and index.php code?

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
I am trying to remove all the author names on all my Wordpress blog post. I have been searching on the internet and found this remedy. "Look at the post above and open single.php, archive.php and index.php and remove the <?php the_author_link(); ?> "This remedy was written three years ago. So I could not ask the poster any questions. I have limited skills in programming, mainly html5. My question is how do I get to the single.php, archive.php and index.php code?

are you hosted on wordpress.com or your hosting your own copy of wordpress?

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
I have installed Wordpress locally using MAMP on my Mac.

If your Mamp application is installed in /Applications, open the Mamp folder (/Applications/MAMP/htdocs). Find where you have put the wordpress files and in that location you should see a wp-content folder, go under it and open themes. Open the subfolder corresponding to your theme (probably twentyfifteen) and you will see the .php files you're looking for.

cheers

amtjb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
If your Mamp application is installed in /Applications, open the Mamp folder (/Applications/MAMP/htdocs). Find where you have put the wordpress files and in that location you should see a wp-content folder, go under it and open themes. Open the subfolder corresponding to your theme (probably twentyfifteen) and you will see the .php files you're looking for.

cheers
I think the direction they gave to remove the author's name is out dated. It was written three years ago. I could not find the code in the single.php, archive.php or index.php files. I even looked in the author.php file. Thanks for the help anyways.

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
I think the direction they gave to remove the author's name is out dated. It was written three years ago. I could not find the code in the single.php, archive.php or index.php files. I even looked in the author.php file. Thanks for the help anyways.

edit style.css (in the theme directory)

add at the end of the file..

Code:
.entry-author-link { display: none; }

amtjb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
edit style.css (in the theme directory)

add at the end of the file..

Code:
.entry-author-link { display: none; }
I found the style.css file in the theme directory. I am not able to make changes to the file. What do I need to do to add the code?

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I found the style.css file in the theme directory. I am not able to make changes to the file. What do I need to do to add the code?

Actually, you shouldn't make edits directly to that file or any part of a theme that you downloaded. It'll get overwritten with theme updates. You want to create a child theme first and then add your style customizations to the stylesheet of the child theme.

besler3035

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Don't install the Jetpack plugin, it's unnecessary bloatware. I have no idea why people recommend it.

Here's a link on how to make a child theme, this is by far the best way to make custom changes to a template - https://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes
It's recommended because people who don't have a ton of experience and want those functions...it's a great resource. And aspects of it can be turned on/off as necessary.

That being said, there are also Edit CSS plugins available that would achieve the same thing.

rsdotscot

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2006
Scotland
It's recommended because people who don't have a ton of experience and want those functions...it's a great resource. And aspects of it can be turned on/off as necessary.

That being said, there are also Edit CSS plugins available that would achieve the same thing.
There are much lighter, faster versions of it available which also don't require logging in on wordpress.com. I like Slimpack just for the sharing tool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.