Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I want to work using TeamViewer between two macs, is it vital that both macs use the same version of TeamViewer?

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
no it is not.

Just be aware that after 5 hours use it will log you out and in again every few minutes in the free edition.

I have hit this limit on my own mac and as such helping friends remotely is not a pain in backside.

Just too expensive for me at moment to buy.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Ok thanx, you say 5hours, why is this a problem? Once you're out you can connect right back again correct?

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
true but say 1 hour per day after 5 days that's your 5 hour limit.

not 5 hour per session, 5 hours total.

I hate this limit. it will still work free but keeps auto logging you in and out once you reach the 5 hour limit.

This is remote assist mode, I have not tried unattended remote control for over 5 hours.
This may work longer or no limit.

I only use it to help friends but I have reached the 5 hour total limit.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Okay. Regarding the version thing, higher version can log into lower team viewer version, vice versa will not work! Can anyone confirm this?

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
Okay. Regarding the version thing, higher version can log into lower team viewer version, vice versa will not work! Can anyone confirm this?
Correct. I just downloaded v12 (beta) and successfully connected to a v11 client, but the v11 client cannot connect to the v12.

Reactions: zoran

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
Correct. I just downloaded v12 (beta) and successfully connected to a v11 client, but the v11 client cannot connect to the v12.

Correct. This has been the case all along. The master "controlling" machine has to run the same version or a newer version than the client machine.

It doesn't matter what OS either machine uses other than older OS versions can limit you to older versions of TeamViewer. One of the machines that I occasionally need to take over still runs MacOS 10.6.8 which limits it to an older version of TV. I can access it from my Win 10 machines (both my 8" tablet and my desktop) and from my PowerMac running Mavericks, all running newer version of TV. I can't use the 10.6.8 machine to access any of the others since the others run newer versions of TV.

Reactions: zoran

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Ok thanks guys, its pretty clear now.
There are two more issues that i need to work out. One is how to not let the mac to sleep so that i will be able to log into it. And the other is even if it sleeps, how can i wake it!

dante20007

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2013
Europe
I've tried Teamviewer for a family need but I've had too many limitations and technical problems to be a real good option.

I'm looking for another software but didn't find a good one at the moment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.