Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raiderz182

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2003
north philly
never buy the jansport access point bag ...
there is very thin padding on the bottom and the front, none on the back or the sides

acarboni

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2003
I was thinking about that-- just buying a nicely padded sleeve and then throwing the computer in whatever bag I'm carrying at the time... I'm always afraid it's going to get jostled or bumped the wrong way, though.

finding a great laptop bag seems to be exceedingly hard; especially in the backpack form-factor. I had seen the Jansport before reading this thread and I have to agree: Awful. But I think 90% of all laptop cases are.

jasonwood

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Originally posted by acarboni
finding a great laptop bag seems to be exceedingly hard; especially in the backpack form-factor. I had seen the Jansport before reading this thread and I have to agree: Awful. But I think 90% of all laptop cases are.

Have a look at Crumpler's laptop backpacks. They come in 3 sizes, Sheep Scarer, Base Toucher, and Team Player. The Team Player is big enough for the 17" PowerBook!

There's a great review of the team player on O'Grady's PowerPage:
http://powerpage.org/cgi-bin/WebObjects/powerpage.woa/wa/story?newsID=11439

You can get them online in Canada (and now the US too) at http://www.storeos.com/crumpler/

You can also check out http://www.crumplerusa.com/ to see if you have a local dealer where you could go check 'em out!
--
Jason

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
Originally posted by acarboni
I was thinking about that-- just buying a nicely padded sleeve and then throwing the computer in whatever bag I'm carrying at the time... I'm always afraid it's going to get jostled or bumped the wrong way, though.

i think that is what i am thinking as well, but then again, i don't own a laptop yet!

what do the laptop-owning masses think of this? enough protection (ina bag that's not WAAY to big?)

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Brenthaven's Pro17 backpack includes a detachable padded slipcase that slides into the backpack, very useful for moving the machine around without the case.

The backpack itself is very good, loads of extra storage and compartments, even a zippered pocket on the top for the iPod!

spiffie

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
Austin, TX
Think about Booq

For my 12" PowerBook, I use a Booq iSleeve12 inside a Booq BP3. I needed a backpack that was large enough for me to put in several textbooks, as I use it to cart stuff to and from school. The backpack has an amazing number of compartments, and the padding seems very good. The sleeve is good if I'm just carrying the laptop itself, and maybe a cable or two, somewhere. I've actually been considering also getting a Mamba.XS as a happy medium between the sleeve and the BP3.

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
Spymac.com packs/bags?

Has anyone tried the bags & packs offered by Spymac.com? Opinion?
http://www.spymac.com/
Expensive! but they look well made.

Since I often either travel by plane/auto with my iBook or take it with me to court, I pack it in a wheeled carry-on type bag with lots of pockets, which lets me pack & carry books, files, paper, & supplies, a Cannon mobile printer, thin & light Canoscan, a digital camera/camcorder (depending), DVD/CD media, and a (heavy) LaCie d2 DVD/CD burner since an iBook doesn't have a SuperDrive (lucky PB owners!). It's perfect if you walk or ride (fly), whereas a backpack would be preferrable if you ride a bike or run between classes and the library.

Places to shop: KOHL's, COSTCO, Fry's Electronics, SAM's Club, American Tourister, Samsonite, luggage outlet stores, online with a Sherlock/Watson/Google search, etc.

Attachments

• 370ccc115fe09.jpg
    370ccc115fe09.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 465

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I really like my Crumpler "Very Busy Man" messenger bag for a lot of reasons - but it's certainly not small. I think you need to consider what you're like before buying a bag. In my case I realized I tend to pack a lot of crap... er, very important stuff ... along with me whenever I go to work (I haul my 15" Powerbook to work every day, because I dislike using Windows and with Linux too much time gets wasted on non-productive tasks). If you're someone who can get by with not much other than your laptop, get a small bag.

But back to Crumpler. This bag is extremely well made. Well padded, lots of room for extra stuff, very well constructed with quality materials, and a roomy (non-removable) padded laptop pocket. I bought mine used, but even new it would be worth the money. I used to gag at the thought of spending > $100 on a new laptop bag - but having used cheap bags and more expensive bags over the course of the past four years, I really think it's worth the investment to get a truly good bag. I thought about buying a good sleeve and a cheap bag, but I never find myself in a position where I would only want my Powerbook and nothing else - so this bag makes more sense to me. If you want a smaller bag that holds less extra stuff, check out the McBain's Love Child - if only for the name! :D

Xero

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2002
Los Angeles
i just recently bought a Gravis Digi bag. its great for carying your laptop and all your accessories. theres enough room in there to even throw in a couple firewire drives or even another laptop.

what i do is i put my powerbook in a sleevecase (because i used to carry it in a normal jansport backpack), then into the Digi, which gives it a ton of padding.

Gravis Digi Bag
Other Gravis Metro Bags

Waterfield Designs - they make the sleevecase i bought, and they also make cases and bags for a lot of other stuff.

timsq

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2004
New Orleans
Best Laptop Bags (IMHO)

I picked up a Detour by Timbuk2. It has a perfect slot for up to a 15"PB + a fair amount of space for stuff. Many small to medium pockets and two compartments add to the rugged exterior and versatility of this bag. It has a 17"PB brother too. The feature that rocks, besides the loads of padding, is it converts easily from a briefcase to a courier bag to a backpack. This feature puts it way out in front. It's about $100 (17' $130) and it comes with a lifetime satisfaction guarantee. Timbuk2 is out of San Francisco. They make a similar bag called the Commute for those who want extra space without the backpack option. It also about $100. http://www.timbuk2.com

Attachments

• detourjpg.jpg
    detourjpg.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 533
  • detour_back.jpg
    detour_back.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 489
  • detour_open.jpg
    detour_open.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 516

Stevp1

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2003
I went for ultimate protection. A hard-sided Pelican case. I wouldn't trust my 17" PB to anything else. Heavy as all heck, but it's solid. 150.00, but you can customize the foam inside to fit perfectly. It takes the PB with about 3 inches to spare on one side for cables, etc.

Steve

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.