Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
I am interested in knowing how much people think that there is a significant quality in audio playback using higher end cans on a ipod. A lot of hardcore audiophiles claim that it's a waste of money playing a few hundred dollars for reduced sonic quality from an itunes download, etc. etc. Personally I can tell a significant different in the overall balance, high/low registers, etc. upgrading to my Shure E2C from the regular Ipod/Griffin EarJams setup. The Shures perform better.

But looking at the Shure E5C or Bang Olaffsun or Bose makes me wonder whether the sonic quality dramatically increase. Or playing ipod music through a high end Bang Olaffsun or Denon system?

Hi-Fi then? Wonder what people here believe (talking to audiophiles here)?

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
princealfie said:
I am interested in knowing how much people think that there is a significant quality in audio playback using higher end cans on a ipod. A lot of hardcore audiophiles claim that it's a waste of money playing a few hundred dollars for reduced sonic quality from an itunes download, etc. etc. Personally I can tell a significant different in the overall balance, high/low registers, etc. upgrading to my Shure E2C from the regular Ipod/Griffin EarJams setup. The Shures perform better.

But looking at the Shure E5C or Bang Olaffsun or Bose makes me wonder whether the sonic quality dramatically increase. Or playing ipod music through a high end Bang Olaffsun or Denon system?

How much do you care about audio? I'm broke, but if I could, I would have much better headphones. I'm a self-proclaimed audiophile, but that's subjective I suppose. My 2nd pair of Sony Ex-71's bellied up, so I'm probably moving to a pair of e2C's...would I love some e5's? absolutely. I've only had some minor experiences with B&O and high end shure, but I like the higher end stuff, if I only had $300+ to spend.

Then again, I REALLY care about audio..which is also why I don't buy tunes from the iTunes store! :D :p

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
I have the e4c shures, they sound really different compared to the stock apple buds. Worth the 180 dollars? Yes if you listen to your ipod on the go alot. I rarely do, so I wouldn't get the shure e4c again if I could go back. I'd get a cheaper set like the e2c since I only listen casually.

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
Good ear buds are a great investment. You will really appreciate the sound improvement. I just used a pair of stock apple earbuds in place of my Etymotic ER4s. Wow the sound was horrible. The Sony EX70s are good also. The sound isolation is really nice to.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
princealfie said:

The Shure's are not well suited for full range use unless you get the e4 or 5's which are stupid expensive. Etymoic Reasearch's 6i Isolator™ Earphones are probably your best value (actually Ears are, but you can find ER 6is for the same price ... $99) with Extreme Mac's new earphones a close second.

Loving my new ERs.

The Sony 51/71s are pretty decent for cheap $$.

peace | neut

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
princealfie said:
True but aren't the sony phones more cold in tonal rendition? I feel like their sound is way too crisp...

I think so, compared to my new pair of Shure e3c's that I just got. Heck of a lot better than the sony EX71's, but they cost almost 3x as much. I'm way happier with the shure's though, and they're build quality is A+, unlike the sony's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.