Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subdream

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2017
I've been using this lately to update apps on macs in my office. Basically, we let our users install apps but they are not so great at updating them.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Interesting post, thanks for sharing!

Why not keep the ability to install apps in your office only to the admin? Isn't that the safest and best way to administer Macs as an admin on your network?

Why use multiple Apple-ID's on the Macs on your network? Use one Apple-ID for all users' Macs and auto-update for macOS updates and security updates?

How do you auto- update the non-macOS - only apps - on all the Macs in you network. Would love to use that tweak @home for my two Mac Pro's!

Cheers

subdream

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2017
Interesting post, thanks for sharing!

Why not keep the ability to install apps in your office only to the admin? Isn't that the safest and best way to administer Macs as an admin on your network?

Why use multiple Apple-ID's on the Macs on your network? Use one Apple-ID for all users' Macs and auto-update for macOS updates and security updates?

How do you auto- update the non-macOS - only apps - on all the Macs in you network. Would love to use that tweak @home for my two Mac Pro's!

Cheers

Cheers for the reply. It's just the politics of my organisation. I agree with you completely but it's out of my control. Again with the multiple ID's. Politics and more politics. As far as all mac store updaters, I can run most of the updates from my mac running mac remote desktop. All other apps I have to connect and do manually, not ideal but thankfully it's only about 25 macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.