Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gabriel_uk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
England
Would the right sound card provide higher quality audio output? - specifically, for playing Apple Lossless tracks in iTunes on a G5 - through Harmon Kardon speakers or through a good stereo amplifier via AirTunes...?

Thanks for any information!

JW8725

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2005
UK
Use digital out to a DAC. google Benchmark DAC1 . Then say Naim Nait5i as an integrated amp to some Epos speakers. This should blow your socks off! Forget the Harmon Kardon!

gabriel_uk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
England
rossoUK said:
Use digital out to a DAC. google Benchmark DAC1 . Then say Naim Nait5i as an integrated amp to some Epos speakers. This should blow your socks off! Forget the Harmon Kardon!
A cool answer and great suggestion but a DAC1 here in the UK costs equivalent to $1700, and Benchmark won't ship abroad. I could just about stretch to $1000, but not $1700! :cool:

As it happens, I have Epos M5's powered by a NAD c352 amp. However, the analogue IN from AirTunes sounds like s**t compared to my NAD c542 cd player playng the same track. The AirTunes digital OUT is apparently much better, but of course I'd need the DAC1 to make use of this as the NAD amp has no optical digital IN. ...I can't figure out why when everything else I have, even the NAD CD player, has an optical digital OUT! :confused:

Anyway, thanks for pointing out the DAC1. Maybe I'll get one next time in the States... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.