Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2004
I know they still need the putty knife, etc. But apparently now you have to remove the assembly that holds the HD and the SuperDrive just to get at the bloomin ram?

Is this do-able? Or should I just take it in?

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
When was the last time you took a computer, any computer, apart? Not just opened the box, but, say replaced the hard drive, or a motherboard?

I you have never done that, or the idea gives you hot flushes, get it done professionally.

Subiklim

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2006
Manhattan, New York
plinden said:
When was the last time you took a computer, any computer, apart? Not just opened the box, but, say replaced the hard drive, or a motherboard?

I you have never done that, or the idea gives you hot flushes, get it done professionally.

My brother wants me to add RAM to his mini, but I'm a bit heasatent especially after my experience removing the optical drive in my PowerBook 12". It wasn't so much as it turned out poorly, it was just so complicated and time consuming that I told myself that at no matter what cost, I would take the system in next time it needed to be fixed. Mac Mini shouldn't be much harder, should it?

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
there is only one way to know for sure. open it up, give it a try, and put it back together. if it doesnt work THEN take it in! although i guess that might end up costing you a little more in the end if you break something. but come on, ive taken apart every apple computer i have ever had, except my new intel mac mini. . . though i took apart my brother's mac mini G4 and replaced his ram.

but i guess i will have to agree with plinden on this one. if you have experience with other computers, then go for it. if you have never seen the inside of a computer, then the mini would be a tough one to start with!

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2004
plinden said:

Ha, funny. I built my own SLI gaming rig, trust me, it's not taking taking it apart. I just read a couple posts by people who said that the assembly is more difficult than the previous G4 minis. So the issue is how fragile the assembly is. I've just heard it's a little more delicate to take apart than the old assembly used to be.

Anywho, non issue now. I'm at the AppleStore getting the RAM installed for free since i just bought it earlier today. And I'm typing this on their gorgeous 30" ACD. Droooool. I want this monitor, but I think it'd look conspicuous running out of here with a 30" monitor under my arm trying to go unnoticed

I keed, I keed.

Anywho, later.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
kntgsp said:
Ha, funny. I built my own SLI gaming rig, trust me, it's not taking taking it apart. I just read a couple posts by people who said that the assembly is more difficult than the previous G4 minis. So the issue is how fragile the assembly is. I've just heard it's a little more delicate to take apart than the old assembly used to be.

Anywho, non issue now. I'm at the AppleStore getting the RAM installed for free since i just bought it earlier today. And I'm typing this on their gorgeous 30" ACD. Droooool. I want this monitor, but I think it'd look conspicuous running out of here with a 30" monitor under my arm trying to go unnoticed

I keed, I keed.

Anywho, later.

that's cool that they're doing it for free, only bummer is they don't let you keep the RAM they take out.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
kntgsp said:
I know they still need the putty knife, etc. But apparently now you have to remove the assembly that holds the HD and the SuperDrive just to get at the bloomin ram?

Is this do-able? Or should I just take it in?

The internal assembly is easy. Trust me I did it myself.

The really tough bit is the outer casing, it is really a pain to get off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.