Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Loveandterror

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2013
UK
Hello everyone,

I'm debating, if I should treat myself to the apple pencil.
I would mostly use it for navigating, note writing and maybe some photo editing (I'm a photographer and use photoshop and other programs on my laptop)
I'm aware that the photo editing is limited on the ipad, but I would still enjoy it I'm sure.

I assume most people buy the pencil because they're artists, who draw a lot.
I haven't drawn since my school days. I would probably doodle a bit, if I had the pencil.

What do you use the pencil for and is it worth the money in my case?

Any deciding help is appreciated :)

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I'm struggling with that question as well. I have enough Apple Store gift cards to get the Pencil for free, but I feel like it would just sit here unused.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Absolutely untrue. There are electronics inside the Apple Pencil that make it much more than a stylus.
In his hyperbolic way, he is correct. If all that one does with the Pencil is to navigate, then yes, a $5 stylus does the job as well.

As an aside, attached is a quick sketch that I made with a $5 stylus (Bargains Depot @ Amazon) on an Air 2. It is possible to get fine detail, and with a home-made artist's glove ($3 for a pair) "palm-rejection". :)
stylus-Air2 (small).jpg

Reactions: danny8200

modelbehaviour

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2007
UK
I ummed and ahhed over buying the pencil yesterday, but went back and bought it 15 mins after I left the store with my iPad. Really pleased I did!

I'm not an artist or even remotely good at drawing but I do enjoy adult colouring books for which there are some good apps. For me the weighting of the pencil makes it perfect to control and it's really novel and enjoyable to use which I haven't felt with a normal stylus previously.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
For me, I'm kind of disappointed with the Apple Pencil. I have quite a few apps that I use the Pencil in and love the way it writes. Beyond that, I'm not crazy about the following:

• Cap not connected is surely a lost cap
  • Must insert into the iPad to pair each time you restart your iPad - it doesn't automatically connect
  • The length of it is absurd. I can tell it would bother my hand and wrist if I used it for long periods of time. My favorite pen is way heavier but is just balanced so much better. The pencil would be better if it were a half inch shorter.
I will still use it but it could be better.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
For me, I'm kind of disappointed with the Apple Pencil. I have quite a few apps that I use the Pencil in and love the way it writes. Beyond that, I'm not crazy about the following:

• Must insert into the iPad to pair each time you restart your iPad - it doesn't automatically connect
  • The length of it is absurd. I can tell it would bother my hand and wrist if I used it for long periods of time. My favorite pen is way heavier but is just balanced so much better. The pencil would be better if it were a half inch shorter.
The theory on why they chose that length is that artists will hold pencils further away from the tip so they can use different shading techniques. I know people are raving about note taking with this thing, but I think ultimately, it was designed for artists.

chhhrrriiisss

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
Connecticut
I ummed and ahhed over buying the pencil yesterday, but went back and bought it 15 mins after I left the store with my iPad. Really pleased I did!

I'm not an artist or even remotely good at drawing but I do enjoy adult colouring books for which there are some good apps. For me the weighting of the pencil makes it perfect to control and it's really novel and enjoyable to use which I haven't felt with a normal stylus previously.

I'm pretty sure your post just cost me $99. I never thought about the adult coloring book apps.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I take notes on my iPad all the time. Got the 9.7 yesterday and took notes this morning with my favorite stylus. OMG - what a phenomenal experience! Even better than my Air 2. If it's that good with any stylus, I can only imagine how great it will be with the pencil, which removes any issues of wrist touching. Can't wait for my pencil to arrive!

Reactions: sracer

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I take notes on my iPad all the time. Got the 9.7 yesterday and took notes this morning with my favorite stylus. OMG - what a phenomenal experience! Even better than my Air 2. If it's that good with any stylus, I can only imagine how great it will be with the pencil, which removes any issues of wrist touching. Can't wait for my pencil to arrive!
I've had great success with capacitive styli. Very enjoyable. Now with an 12.9 iPad Pro and the Pencil I can tell you that you will be in for an amazing experience. The pressure sensitivity, palm rejection, angled "shading/sketching", and buttery-smooth responsiveness it really is as close to a physical paper and pencil as possible!

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Untrue. Mine auto connects without inserting into lightning port.
[doublepost=1459538954][/doublepost]Yes, I have been having some fun with the Pigment app and the pencil.

1. To check the pairing process, open the Settings app and tap on Bluetooth. You will see the Apple Pencil listed below the Bluetooth On/Off switch. You will need to plug the Pencil into the iPad Pro again each time you turn off Bluetooth. It reconnects instantly, so plug it in again and it will pair in seconds.Dec 6, 2015
When you turn off the iPad not put it to sleep but actually turn it off you do need to repair.
[doublepost=1459543734][/doublepost]
The theory on why they chose that length is that artists will hold pencils further away from the tip so they can use different shading techniques. I know people are raving about note taking with this thing, but I think ultimately, it was designed for artists.
I went to Walmart and got some of the pencil grips and the pencil feels so much better to me.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire

Pencil is now perfect for me with some Pencil accessories - I am now loving my Pencil. I won't lose my cap and the grips help give the pencil better ergonomics for me. I've been writing for long periods just messing around and no more sore hand.

image.jpeg

Reactions: Mac2me

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
I am not an artist, and I absolutely love the Pencil.
If you have an iPP I would say it's a "must have".

I would suggest to try it out, If you don't like it (enough) you can return it.
I'll second this.

I've just got a 12.9" and I decided to get a pencil at the same time and I really enjoy using it.

I'm not an artist and don't use to for anything artistic, but I do enjoy sitting in a coffee shop catching up on the world and doing some personal admin type things-banking etc, using the pencil.
[doublepost=1459603912][/doublepost]
$100 to tap the screen. You could do that with a $5 stylus.
How was your experience with the Pencil on the iPad Pro?

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Pencil is now perfect for me with some Pencil accessories - I am now loving my Pencil. I won't lose my cap and the grips help give the pencil better ergonomics for me. I've been writing for long periods just messing around and no more sore hand.

View attachment 624667

Where did you get the accessories? When I first looked at the photo I thought you'd stuck your pencil in a Twizzler! ;)

Reactions: sracer

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Where did you get the accessories? When I first looked at the photo I thought you'd stuck your pencil in a Twizzler! ;)
Hehe - yeah it's a bit silly but the grips made just enough of a difference easier grip and less pinching. I got a pack of 16 all colored grips at WalMart. The cozy cap thing was surely overpriced but I won't lose my cap with it. Do a search for Pencil Cozy.

Reactions: AlliFlowers

stoomc

Suspended
May 11, 2015
Quick question, does the Apple Pencil work system wide, home screen etc.?
I cant remember where I read it but I'm sure I seen that Apple disabled the pencil being used on the home screen, web browsing etc. and would only work on the optimised apps?
Now it could've been a video I was watching on YouTube referring to this being disabled in one of the betas.

Anyone know?

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
Quick question, does the Apple Pencil work system wide, home screen etc.?
I cant remember where I read it but I'm sure I seen that Apple disabled the pencil being used on the home screen, web browsing etc. and would only work on the optimised apps?
Now it could've been a video I was watching on YouTube referring to this being disabled in one of the betas.

Anyone know?
It works system wide. They put it back in in one of the betas, right through to the release of 9.3.

Reactions: stoomc

stoomc

Suspended
May 11, 2015
It works system wide. They put it back in in one of the betas, right through to the release of 9.3.
Thanks very much for that! Just waiting for my 9.7 pro to be delivered on Monday or Tuesday.

So I wasnt going crazy then, they did remove it on one of the betas? i wonder why the done that.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Hehe - yeah it's a bit silly but the grips made just enough of a difference easier grip and less pinching. I got a pack of 16 all colored grips at WalMart. The cozy cap thing was surely overpriced but I won't lose my cap with it. Do a search for Pencil Cozy.

Found the Cozy. Should have it before the week's out. Off to Amazon for grips. My pencil is being delivered to work on Monday. I'm anxious to use it. Even a regular stylus is phenomenal on the "mini Pro."

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
Thanks very much for that! Just waiting for my 9.7 pro to be delivered on Monday or Tuesday.

So I wasnt going crazy then, they did remove it on one of the betas? i wonder why the done that.
They did indeed remove it, but I don't know why. I think they tried to brush it off as a mistake or something that was only temporarily missing, where in reality they just put it back due to the backlash and they had intended it all along.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
If you are taking notes with it then I 100% recommend it. I got mine for school and bring nothing with me but my iPad and Apple Pencil because it writes crystal clear, and I can sync everything immmediately.

What app do you use for notes?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.