Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AJ_Blazar

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2022
Sheffield, England
I’ve been looking into this for a while now, still trying to get a straight answer.

Looking into getting a base model M2 Mac Mini (8GB/256GB) usage is pretty much web browsing, very light office work and mainly watching streaming services (YouTube, Amazon, Twitch, Crunchyroll, etc.).

Max tabs open on Firefox/Safari will be 20, with at least 2-3 tabs with active streams playing and at least 5-6 apps running.

If the base model can handle this without any issues and can last at least 7-10 years, I’m golden.

Thoughts will be appreciated

Reactions: AVBeatMan

thebart

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2023
I’ve been looking into this for a while now, still trying to get a straight answer.

Looking into getting a base model M2 Mac Mini (8GB/256GB) usage is pretty much web browsing, very light office work and mainly watching streaming services (YouTube, Amazon, Twitch, Crunchyroll, etc.).

Max tabs open on Firefox/Safari will be 20, with at least 2-3 tabs with active streams playing and at least 5-6 apps running.

If the base model can handle this without any issues and can last at least 7-10 years, I’m golden.

If you're sure that's all you'll be doing with it, you'll be fine

Of course i find that once i have a nice and fast computer, i find more things i want to do with it that pushes it to the max :) ay, there's the rub

adamlbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
South Yorkshire, UK

See, if you're looking to keep it for between 7-10 years then I'd be tempted to think more about what I might be doing with the device in 10 years' time.

If your usage is just web browsing such as Amazon, Twitch etc. you can get by with 8 GB just fine today - there's no denying that. But in 7-10 years' time, websites might (more like will) become more complex to the point they suck up even more RAM than they do currently (Twitch and YouTube can often take up GBs of memory on their own even now).

The question isn't really whether it will 'last'. I imagine the base model will have no problem lasting at least 10 years. But it's more a question of will it show it's age faster?

A straight answer from me would be to get the most memory you can afford, especially if you're wanting to keep the computer for a long period of time. This dilemma is unfortunately an issue since you can't upgrade the memory later. This is coming from someone who literally bought a new Mac mini solely because of the RAM.

Reactions: Basic75

thebart

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2023
Ok, on second thought, i think it's a little hypocritical of me to tell anyone they'll be fine with 8/256 when i opted for a used M1 so i can afford to go up to 16/512. Or rather, i want to get 16/512 without feeling royally ripped off by Apple.

And I'm glad that i did, too. I wasn't planning on it, but just a month after purchase i find i need to run VM because the Mac version of office is lacking key features i need. I'm squeaking by even with 16gb.

My revised stand is anyone who has the wherewithal to come in here and ask if 8gb is enough for them should go ahead and get 16gb. If you plan to keep it for more than 4, 5 years, get 16gb. Doesn't matter if you only use it for "web browsing". The OS only gets bigger, browsers only get bigger, web pages only get bigger. Your photos and videos only get bigger. You'll only find more things you want to do with your computer over time that demands more memory.

If you're here, beg, borrow, steal, or buy previous gen to get 16.

VietKinh

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2023
Below freezing
Glad you went for the 16 GB in the end. I bought an 8 GB Mac mini M1 back in 2020 because I was impatient and wanted in on the Apple Silicon pie as soon as possible. Although the M1 chip was fantastic, I could tell that even with my light-ish usage it was being held back especially with photo editing and illustration.

I've corrected my mistake, perhaps even over-compensated for it, by getting myself an M2 Mac mini with 24 GB RAM. I'm sure if I bought the M1 with 16 GB in the first place, I'd still have it now. Buy 'cheap' (in inverted commas because nothing Apple could ever be considered 'cheap') buy twice.
I went to Best Buy to check out the iPhone and happened upon the iMac 24 macOS and its night and day differences from Win 11. I am so done with Windows!

VietKinh

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2023
Below freezing
Update:

My Mac Mini got delayed again, by another 2 days. So, with 2 delays, that an extra 4 more days of waiting. Frustrating, because I need the Mac Mini ASAP! Many things I need to do which requires a Mac. Win 11 will just wipe out all of my progress with each update.

VietKinh

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2023
Below freezing
Update #2:

Waiting for this Mac Mini is killing me! My current productivity is being stagnated. Win 11 just had another update and I want to rip my hair out!

It doesn't help that I live out in the middle of nowhere, so UPS delivery are always delay.

My Magic Keyboard and Trackpad are here though!

VietKinh

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2023
Below freezing
I have not been active lately because I cannot log into this site on my Mac because I forgot the password.

Update:

I love my Mac Mini but there are two major issues and other minor issues that needs to be addressed.

1. Wi-Fi is extremely slow for some reason. Read this is a common issue with the M1 and apparently the M2 as well.
2. Ethernet does not work. Does not seem to recognize that there is an ethernet cable plugged in.
3. Without Ethernet cable speed, this device is really slow. My internet service speed is 500 MB (half of 1 GB) per hour, yet I am only getting 15 MB of download speed (at best).
4. Why does beach ball exist on a new device? Some games have beach ball (won't load). Or is that because of the slow internet speed?
5. Touch ID doesn't work for storage management. Is that due to the Apple Magic Keyboard or the Mac?

Outside of those issues, the Mac has several pleasant surprises!

1. It comes with speakers! What PC computer comes with speaker? What a nice surprise, even if it isn't very loud.
2. Apple Arcade - Never thought I would be playing games on a Mac. Been playing Wylde Flowers, The Oregon Trail, and Fantasian. Also being able to play Ipad and iOS game is a plus as well!
3. Keynotes, Pages, Numbers - are all sublime!
4. macOS is way easier to use than PC. It only took me about an hour to get accustomed to it. I have not use macOS since 2009!
5. Sharing work flawlessly with my new iPhone. I wanted the Samsung S23 Ultra but sending pictures to my Mac would be as bothersome as sending it to my PC via cables. I'm done with cables and wires. The future is wireless!
6. Every application is pristine and beautiful! The console menu makes navigating every app a breeze!
7. Safari is amazing (but there are limitations that I have yet to master). I don't plan on using any other browsers.

There are even more positive that I have not listed.

Conclusion: macOS is better than I expected, and I see no reason to ever return to Windows.

icemantx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2009
Few questions...

1) You are downloading 15mb downloaded per hour from where?
2) Are you sure it is not the site you are connecting to and have you tried using Speedtest or something similar to test your internet speed via ethernet?
3) Have you tried a different ethernet cable? If ethernet does not work, you should contact Apple. I have the M2 Pro Mac mini with Gigabit ethernet and get 700-800mpbs consistently connected via an ethernet cable.

VietKinh

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2023
Below freezing
Few questions...

1) You are downloading 15mb downloaded per hour from where?
2) Are you sure it is not the site you are connecting to and have you tried using Speedtest or something similar to test your internet speed via ethernet?
3) Have you tried a different ethernet cable? If ethernet does not work, you should contact Apple. I have the M2 Pro Mac mini with Gigabit ethernet and get 700-800mpbs consistently connected via an ethernet cable.
No, 15 MB per download is according to speed test. I just bought this brand-new cable from Amazon with tens of thousands of positive reviews. 32K reviews if I'm not mistaken. It's the Amazon brand.

Yeah, I plan on contacting Apple soon.

What about your Mac Mini M2 Pro? Do you have any issue with Wi-Fi connection? If it is my unit, then I will have to return it.

icemantx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2009
No, 15 MB per download is according to speed test. I just bought this brand-new cable from Amazon with tens of thousands of positive reviews. 32K reviews if I'm not mistaken. It's the Amazon brand.

Yeah, I plan on contacting Apple soon.

What about your Mac Mini M2 Pro? Do you have any issue with Wi-Fi connection? If it is my unit, then I will have to return it.
I do not use WiFi for my M2 Pro Mac mini other than to test it out. My Mac mini is mounted to the wall behind my desk and in the same room as my Apple AirPort Extreme. I get speeds of 115mbps over WiFi since it does not have a clear line of sight to the AirPort Extreme with the mini being mounted out of the way (another reason I use ethernet)...

IMG_2945.jpeg

IMG_2944.jpeg

VietKinh

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2023
Below freezing
I do not use WiFi for my M2 Pro Mac mini other than to test it out. My Mac mini is mounted to the wall behind my desk and in the same room as my Apple AirPort Extreme. I get speeds of 115mbps over WiFi since it does not have a clear line of sight to the AirPort Extreme with the mini being mounted out of the way (another reason I use ethernet)...

View attachment 2190034

View attachment 2190035
I contacted Apple support (with screen share). They told me to update it to the latest version (Ventura 13.3) and to contact my service provider for DNS and proxy server setting. And if those things don't solve it, they suggest I return it. Even the ethernet cable doesn't recognize on this device. If this end up being the case, I will buy the Pro instead.

Garage Battle

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2007
Orlando, FL
I contacted Apple support (with screen share). They told me to update it to the latest version (Ventura 13.3) and to contact my service provider for DNS and proxy server setting. And if those things don't solve it, they suggest I return it. Even the ethernet cable doesn't recognize on this device. If this end up being the case, I will buy the Pro instead.

sounds like you need to take a Network+ class.

Can you describe how your wired network is laid out? What connects to what?

Reactions: Kelvinsin

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
See, if you're looking to keep it for between 7-10 years then I'd be tempted to think more about what I might be doing with the device in 10 years' time.

If your usage is just web browsing such as Amazon, Twitch etc. you can get by with 8 GB just fine today - there's no denying that. But in 7-10 years' time, websites might (more like will) become more complex to the point they suck up even more RAM than they do currently (Twitch and YouTube can often take up GBs of memory on their own even now).

The question isn't really whether it will 'last'. I imagine the base model will have no problem lasting at least 10 years. But it's more a question of will it show it's age faster?

A straight answer from me would be to get the most memory you can afford, especially if you're wanting to keep the computer for a long period of time. This dilemma is unfortunately an issue since you can't upgrade the memory later. This is coming from someone who literally bought a new Mac mini solely because of the RAM.
Maybe we need a study to see how many are using ten year old computers and how they use them. I never took this line of reasoning seriously

Corefile

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2022

I picked up an M2 Mini for 499 bucks in a tax free state and must say this thing absolutely flies. I run a couple of VMs like Windows 11 and Linux on it and it does use swap but I wouldn't know from using it. You can obsess over those details or get on with your life. I am in the latter category where I just use it for whatever I need. It's really nice and I have zero regrets.

Corefile

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2022
And I'm glad that i did, too. I wasn't planning on it, but just a month after purchase i find i need to run VM because the Mac version of office is lacking key features i need. I'm squeaking by even with 16gb.
I run Windows 11 and Linux VMs on 8GB/256GB with an external NVMe drive. *shrug* works fine for my use case.

The only limitation of the M2 seems to be its lack of nested virtualization support. I hear that Asahi Linux engineers said that M2 does support that but Apple has not enabled it for MacOS.

lepidotós

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2021
Marinette, Arizona
Maybe we need a study to see how many are using ten year old computers and how they use them. I never took this line of reasoning seriously
I was using a PowerBook G4 DLSD (17 years old) just recently until it stopped taking in a charge (note it's not dead, just power delivery failed), at which point I got the closest recent equivalent, this 15" Surface Laptop 3. I had it loaded with Debian sid, and with a somewhat stripped back browser and LXDE, it handled most web tasks pretty much fine. YouTube worked, for instance. I shoved in 2GB RAM and an SSD, so swap wasn't that much of an issue. It loaded up various sites just fine like Amazon's KDP, Mechanical Turk, Reddit, all sites that also work in Mac OS X Tiger but TenFourFox isn't getting updates anymore. And that was a recent upgrade from a 14" iBook G3 900MHz (20 years old). Which I only got because PD also failed on my Dell Inspiron 2200.
On desktop, until 2020 I was using an i5-2400 system, which I upgraded in 2021 to... a Power Mac G4 450MHz (23 years old), though I did switch out to a dual 800MHz Quicksilver (21 years old, 22 this August) on which I did all the same stuff on top of various Mac OS 9 gaming and music related activities, and even 3D modelling with ray tracing. If you want an easy, if unrepresentative group, you can head over to the Early Intel Macs and PowerPC Macs subforums of this very website and ask around.
Hell, even if you want to stay on macOS, Haswell Macs (~9 years old) are just new enough to have the AVX2 instructions needed for running Ventura without introducing more bugs than it ships with; Core 2 Duo can be used if you don't mind the occasional glitch due to those instructions causing errors that don't lead to halting and emulating.
If you want a few more representative groups who might use 10 year old computers... look to anyone that's not upper-middle class in a consumerist society. People in other countries, younger people/college students, people in lower class homes, people who act like they have $102,000 of debt (because, per capita, they do), people who just don't like waste and want to use things if they still work rather than throwing them out when the new shiny happens. Maybe they have the means and just get fun out of getting something older to do stuff meant for more modern hardware. Curmudgeonly old people... George R.R. Martin still uses an IBM clone with WordStar to write the ASoI&F series, and if not already, that thing will be reaching 40 this decade. Industrial and even many scientific PCs are often from the 1990s since they still rely on software and ISA cards that you can't replace. $2,500 isn't playing around money if you're just gonna recycle it after three years.
Even just ignoring all that, Apple sold the 2012 13" MBP for four whole years, meaning someone could get one in 2016 and use it until the model was twelve years old and still get official support.​

Last edited:
Reactions: Euroamerican

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
I was using a PowerBook G4 DLSD (17 years old) just recently until it stopped taking in a charge (note it's not dead, just power delivery failed), at which point I got the closest recent equivalent, this 15" Surface Laptop 3. I had it loaded with Debian sid, and with a somewhat stripped back browser and LXDE, it handled most web tasks pretty much fine. YouTube worked, for instance. I shoved in 2GB RAM and an SSD, so swap wasn't that much of an issue. It loaded up various sites just fine like Amazon's KDP, Mechanical Turk, Reddit, all sites that also work in Mac OS X Tiger but TenFourFox isn't getting updates anymore. And that was a recent upgrade from a 14" iBook G3 900MHz (20 years old). Which I only got because PD also failed on my Dell Inspiron 2200.
On desktop, until 2020 I was using an i5-2400 system, which I upgraded in 2021 to... a Power Mac G4 450MHz (23 years old), though I did switch out to a dual 800MHz Quicksilver (21 years old, 22 this August) on which I did all the same stuff on top of various Mac OS 9 gaming and music related activities, and even 3D modelling with ray tracing. If you want an easy, if unrepresentative group, you can head over to the Early Intel Macs and PowerPC Macs subforums of this very website and ask around.
Hell, even if you want to stay on macOS, Haswell Macs (~9 years old) are just new enough to have the AVX2 instructions needed for running Ventura without introducing more bugs than it ships with; Core 2 Duo can be used if you don't mind the occasional glitch due to those instructions causing errors that don't lead to halting and emulating.
If you want a few more representative groups who might use 10 year old computers... look to anyone that's not upper-middle class in a consumerist society. People in other countries, younger people/college students, people in lower class homes, people who act like they have $102,000 of debt (because, per capita, they do), people who just don't like waste and want to use things if they still work rather than throwing them out when the new shiny happens. Maybe they have the means and just get fun out of getting something older to do stuff meant for more modern hardware. Curmudgeonly old people... George R.R. Martin still uses an IBM clone with WordStar to write the ASoI&F series, and if not already, that thing will be reaching 40 this decade. Industrial and even many scientific PCs are often from the 1990s since they still rely on software and ISA cards that you can't replace. $2,500 isn't playing around money if you're just gonna recycle it after three years.
Even just ignoring all that, Apple sold the 2012 13" MBP for four whole years, meaning someone could get one in 2016 and use it until the model was twelve years old and still get official support.​
Thanks for the short story, feel better? When I posted I knew some would reply with a handful of edge cases you didn’t disappoint.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I picked up an M2 Mini for 499 bucks in a tax free state and must say this thing absolutely flies. I run a couple of VMs like Windows 11 and Linux on it and it does use swap but I wouldn't know from using it. You can obsess over those details or get on with your life. I am in the latter category where I just use it for whatever I need. It's really nice and I have zero regrets.
Same with me. I paid $465 tax included. I will use it till something better comes along in 4-5 years and buy whatever Apple decides to sell as the base model at that time.

richmlow

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002

Hello AJ_Blazar,

I'll try to give you a straight answer. I would recommend that you get a 16GB RAM M2 Mac mini for the following reasons (in no particular order):

1. Although 8GB RAM is adequate for your current workflow, your future needs may very change and require heavier memory resources.

2. As you know, the RAM is not upgradeable in Apple Silicon Macs. 7-10 years is quite a long time (in computer years). It is reasonable to assume that future versions of macOS will require more and more memory resources, as opposed to less and less. The same can be said for applications.

Good luck in your purchase decision.

richmlow

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
I'm pretty sure the mini m2 and m2 pro have the same WiFi/Ethernet on board so I highly doubt there is much difference in connectivity with you WiFi. Ive seen multiple people complaining about the connectivity and M2 pro's. If is keeps being a problem just have them replace it or return re-order.

VietKinh

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2023
Below freezing
I'm pretty sure the mini m2 and m2 pro have the same WiFi/Ethernet on board so I highly doubt there is much difference in connectivity with you WiFi. Ive seen multiple people complaining about the connectivity and M2 pro's. If is keeps being a problem just have them replace it or return re-order.
That what I did. I'm going to order the Pro from Costco since I will have enough time to see if there are any other problems. 14 days is way too short. My Mac mini actually has severe flickering issue that even Apple support suggested that I return it.

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
You will be very happy with the 8GB M2 Mac Mini for at least a decade. I'm a 20-year Mac user and my main computer is a "base" 8GB M1 Mac Mini and it's awesome. I have never once regretted buying it, or wished I'd bought something else instead. It flies through everything I ask it to do, including light video editing using iMovie and desktop publishing using Pages. If you really want to spend $200 more, buy an external USB-3 or Thunderbolt drive for external storage and/or backup. For 95% of people 8GB is ideal.
Thanks for sharing. I have a 2015 iMac with 24 gig ram. Never come close to using it (again light app usage/family computer/web browsing / email). Was torn about getting Mac Mini m2 16/512. Think I will just got with the m2 mac mini 8/512 option and save some money. In 3 or 4 years when the M4 or whatever comes out, be easier to upgrade knowing I didn't spend an arm and leg on the m2 version......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.