Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Would like to use Sierra but not create a separate partition etc. Only thing I'm concerned about is Logic Pro X. Back in the day a new OS would cause havoc but these newer OSs are so similar they don't seem to affect other Apple apps that much if at all.

Autistic Behaviour

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2015
montreal
I've installed Sierra on a 2nd ssd and partition, and installed Logic pro x 10.2.3. I played around for a while and everything seems stable, but I didn't install all my 3rd party plugs on that partition though. All native plugs and instruments run as well as on El cap. Not a complete answer, but...;)

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
That's what I figured. With these new OSs there aren't weird driver changes and things like that. Back with Emagic Logic even an incremental version of the same OS could cause destruction.

I'm just going to go ahead and do it since I need to develop on the bleeding edge and compose at the same time.

I wonder how most of the Native Instruments stuff would perform. I guess you wouldn't want to try Kontact 5 for us would you? lol

Autistic Behaviour

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2015
montreal
Sure! why not...;)

I'll check it out in about an hour...
A can say my little usb tascam us 122 still works with the same driver I had on el cap

Last edited:

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Thanks. I say Kontact 5 because it's flagship so chances are if that works others will. Plus it's the engine for 99% of the 3rd party libraries out there.

Autistic Behaviour

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2015
montreal
Screen Shot 2016-06-18 at 9.42.26 PM.png

[doublepost=1466300799][/doublepost]:) all cars go!

Autistic Behaviour

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2015
montreal
Its a clean install on a seperate partition.
[doublepost=1466343219][/doublepost]I may test an upgrade on my main drive, after 2 or 3 backup clones;)
[doublepost=1466345009][/doublepost]You could try to delete your AU cache, and see if that helps...

Michaelhuisman

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Netherlands
Hmmm.... AU cache was deleted as part of the install/upgrade. That's why why AU validation had to run, and all 3rd party AUs failed to open. I manually deleted, got the same result. I uninstalled Logic, MainStage and Garageband and reinstalled all three. Same result. This is on my non-music production partition, so in theory I could do a fresh install, but right now not worth the trouble. Good to see this worked for you, and... Scratching my head as to why none of mine open. This was a fresh install of El Cap about 2 months ago - pretty clean...

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Hmmm.... AU cache was deleted as part of the install/upgrade. That's why why AU validation had to run, and all 3rd party AUs failed to open. I manually deleted, got the same result. I uninstalled Logic, MainStage and Garageband and reinstalled all three. Same result. This is on my non-music production partition, so in theory I could do a fresh install, but right now not worth the trouble. Good to see this worked for you, and... Scratching my head as to why none of mine open. This was a fresh install of El Cap about 2 months ago - pretty clean...

i've seen this before; good to back up the AU cache before upgrading the OS. then, if need be, copy it back; should (MIGHT) work. this is my plan as soon as the public beta hits. (fun to live dangerously...)

Autistic Behaviour

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2015
montreal

When you say uninstalled, do you mean removing all associated preferences files, cache, etc...?

Also, I once used an app called OSX Validate all AU's on el cap, at the begining. Some AU's werent being validated (working in ableton but not logic) and it worked like a charm. ...May still work on Sierra

Michaelhuisman

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Netherlands
Uninstalled 1st time as in... First time booting up Logic after update El Cap -> Sierra, Logic started to validate all the plug-ins. Very quickly, but the usual routing. Why quick? auvaltool failed to open each and every 3rd party plugin. Using the plug-in manager within Logic gives the error messages visibly.

Uninstalled 2nd time as in... Actually going and deleting the cache file and directory. Reboot. Start Logic, it exhibits same behavior as above, with same result. I have the legit auvaltool saved from the early el cap beta days as a year ago we all had a similar problem, but not the same...

This is the actual output of trying to validate a plug-in:

Plug-ins, the same ones, work fine in Live by the way...

validating Audio Unit Omnisphere by Spectrasonics:

AU Validation Tool
Version: 1.6.1a1
Copyright 2003-2013, Apple Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Specify -h (-help) for command options

--------------------------------------------------
VALIDATING AUDIO UNIT: 'aumu' - 'Ambr' - 'GOSW'
ERROR: Cannot get Component's Name strings
ERROR: Error from retrieving Component Version: -50

* * FAIL
TESTING OPEN TIMES:
FATAL ERROR: didn't find the component

validation result: couldn't be opened

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Uninstalled 1st time as in... First time booting up Logic after update El Cap -> Sierra, Logic started to validate all the plug-ins. Very quickly, but the usual routing. Why quick? auvaltool failed to open each and every 3rd party plugin. Using the plug-in manager within Logic gives the error messages visibly.

Uninstalled 2nd time as in... Actually going and deleting the cache file and directory. Reboot. Start Logic, it exhibits same behavior as above, with same result. I have the legit auvaltool saved from the early el cap beta days as a year ago we all had a similar problem, but not the same...

This is the actual output of trying to validate a plug-in:

Plug-ins, the same ones, work fine in Live by the way...

validating Audio Unit Omnisphere by Spectrasonics:

AU Validation Tool
Version: 1.6.1a1
Copyright 2003-2013, Apple Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Specify -h (-help) for command options

VALIDATING AUDIO UNIT: 'aumu' - 'Ambr' - 'GOSW'
ERROR: Cannot get Component's Name strings
ERROR: Error from retrieving Component Version: -50

* * FAIL
TESTING OPEN TIMES:
FATAL ERROR: didn't find the component

validation result: couldn't be opened

do you have a backup of the com.apple.audiounits.cache file (in User>Library>Caches>AudioUnitCache)? this worked for me last year... (reboot, replace the current file with the backed-up one, open logic)...

Autistic Behaviour

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2015
montreal
ok. I cloned my current El cap partition that I use daily for production, on an external usb3 drive. I then installed Sierra on it. A part from a hang when I started Logic up (force quit and restart), all went smoothly. 1 or registry errors, but everything else was fine. I also made sure I didnt have "Validate all AU's app" active in any way. I stopped validation after around 100 AU's (I've got, like, 1000:eek:). But I tested most important plugs for me, and they work. I can test some others, later.
I may be just lucky with my configuration, etc..., but, I didnt do anything like replace the audiounit.cache....
Screen Shot 2016-06-20 at 3.44.21 PM.png

Michaelhuisman

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Netherlands
Wow... Okay, good for you - and now I've gotta wonder what it is on my rig that's causing this. At some point, I'll have to do a clean install, but not today... Maybe around the public beta timeframe...

Many thanks for taking the time to check this!

Autistic Behaviour

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2015
montreal
Wow... Okay, good for you - and now I've gotta wonder what it is on my rig that's causing this. At some point, I'll have to do a clean install, but not today... Maybe around the public beta timeframe...

Many thanks for taking the time to check this!
Just for fun, are you running 10.2.3? or, an earlier point update?

My pleasure
[doublepost=1466562041][/doublepost]
Any UI lag when zooming in or out like on Retina macbooks with Mavericks?
mmmm.. didn't notice any lag. I'll have to go back and check...

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
I'd just be careful if you have hardware devices that have USB connections. Seems like every time a new update comes out I have to wait for the hardware vendor to develop a new update in order to use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.