Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you care if Apple said Bye Bye to the "iMac"?

• Yes - keep the iMac name! I'll shoot myself if it becomes just "Mac"!

Votes: 85 62.5%
  • No - get rid of iMac, that's soooo tangerine 1990's

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don't mind either but Mac fit's better with the new batch of names

Votes: 24 17.6%
  • This is the geekiest poll ever.... You bunch of "i" loving geeks!

Votes: 19 14.0%

• Total voters

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Following discussions in this thread on the new Mac names, here's a poll to decide if you would prefer the iMac name to a simple Mac.

The hints are there that Apple could drop the "i":

Mac Mini

Mac

MacBook

Mac Pro

MacBook Pro

But they'd then be losing the connection as "the computer that goes with the iPod.

However, seeing as the vast majority of iPod owners run PCs, would this be a problem? You decide...

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
iMac should stay 0 i just hate it when people say Imac , just reminds me of womens shaving adverts :p

saying that - maybe it should go

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
A B C D E F G H Mac J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

It seems like the Decibet all over again.

Oops...
Mact seems lMacke the DecMacbet all over agaMacn.

Attachments

• 75rdecabet2.jpg
    75rdecabet2.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 1,046

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
Some people still don't get it!!! The iMac name is remaining how it is. If it was changing to just Mac, that would've happened back at Macworld 2006 when the PowerBook was renamed to MacBook Pro. Why? Because it had 'power' in its name and not 'Mac'. The iBook changed to MacBook because the name 'Mac' wasn't present.

It's really not that hard to understand, people... :(

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
p0intblank said:
Some people still don't get it!!! The iMac name is remaining how it is. If it was changing to just Mac, that would've happened back at Macworld 2006 when the PowerBook was renamed to MacBook Pro. Why? Because it had 'power' in its name and not 'Mac'. The iBook changed to MacBook because the name 'Mac' wasn't present.

It's really not that hard to understand, people... :(

You could argue that they wouldn't have changed the name iMac at Macworld 2006 because it would be calling the same model a new name.

The MacBook and iMac are clearly meant for similar users and they're the "consumer" line of computers, so why not align the names.

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
"Mac" just seems too generic. Not to mention the colloquial nickname that it reminds me of.... "Hey, Mac, whydontcha pop the hood so I can take a look at them spark plugs?" :D

Motley

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2005
I think iMac has too much name recognition and advertising money behind it to be worth changing the name. Everyone has heard of an iMac. The Power goes away with the PowerPCs but this isn't an issue for the iMac.

(Nevermind that the iBook->MacBook destroy's my argument :D )

kevin.rivers

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2005
Why not just call them all "Mac"? Just Mac.

iMac is fine, I don't get this align the names thing. Calling it Mac, would make it too generic. Just like iPod, if you removed the i, it takes away its' profoundness and it is just a Pod.

Calling it Mac would confuse people.

A: "Hey I am getting the new Mac!"

B: "Yeah, which one?"

A: "The Mac...."

Plus it is a well known name, like the iPod. It will stay. So please stop with the "Mac" and aligning the names junk. It is the iMac and will be that way for a long time. Get over it.

fatties

macrumors regular
May 21, 2006
wasn't the old old old macs called macI macII ect? may be the new ones will me mac 103 or something...

hey i have a pod too!

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I didn't vote, because there's a missing option. I don't mind too much, but I think iMac is better than just plain Mac.

Mac can used to describe any Mac ever made. It would be a little weird for it to be both the generic name for an Apple Computer and the name of a specific model of Apple computer currently on sale.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
If they didn't call it the iMac, then what? Plain old Mac has been suggested but that's been to generic.

Macdesk maybe? I can't think of any others right now. The "i" still resonates with a lot of people and its been so much of a successful branding tool that others have copied it. The only Apple product name which contains an "i" that's changed in this transition was the iBook, now Macbook. There's no real reason to change it now, not when its still a successful marketing tool.

MauiMac

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2006
I think a lot of people would care...

I think I, as well as a lot of other people would care if Apple gave the "iMac" a new name... Look at what happened when PowerBook was renamed MacBook Pro...:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.