Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

debo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
I have a new unopened MacBook and a 15" G4 PowerBook. Would you sell these two and put down $500 or so for a MacBook Pro, or would you just keep them and your money?

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Sell 'em. It's hard to use two laptops at once, so I'd rather have one more powerful one.

jshbckr

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I absolutely would, you'd be getting the few advantages of the outdated PowerBook (Aluminum casing, light up keys, dedicated graphics card) with the advantages of a MacBook (iSight, higher resolution speed, faster processor)

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
I have a new unopened MacBook and a 15" G4 PowerBook. Would you sell these two and put down $500 or so for a MacBook Pro, or would you just keep them and your money?

Since the MacBook is unopened, can you return it to get full value back?

Regardless, YES MBP > MB + G4PB

debo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Yes but you'd be putting down your laptop plus $500. I could just sell my G4. It's still a $1200 difference.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
funny, i have a 15" G4 PB and i'm looking for a MB to complement it. it's always good to have two machines. the PB would be my desktop hooked up to a 24" lcd. it also runs old PPC software till i upgrade it (photoshop elements).

the MB would be the travel notebook, sit next to the tv and record shows and such things. also you could download stuff on one machine and work/surf on the other.

so no, i wouldn't go from two machines to a marginally faster single notebook. unless you game and you need the MBP for that.

debo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
I have a linux pentium D desktop as well if that matters.

kmarketing

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2004
Agree with selling the powerbook, and keeping the macbook. Use some of the money to buy a nice lcd, and you'll have a nice laptop with good screen real estate when you need it.

mikehokie

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2007
Fairfax, Virginia
Agree with selling the powerbook, and keeping the macbook. Use some of the money to buy a nice lcd, and you'll have a nice laptop with good screen real estate when you need it.

Unless you use intensive graphics programs or what not don't sell the MacBook. If you are going to sell try looking at a refurb 24" iMac. I went to the :apple: store the other day and boy those things are big! Unless you require portability those are some great computers. I know the new iMacs are supposed to be coming out in October with Leopard, but honestly the 24" ones are still better than any high end PC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.