Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ashVID

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
You guys been around a 3-5 year old lately? Nobody is talking about buying them an iPad. We are talking about reading TO them or letting them interact with it with supervision. My 2 and 4 year old are experts with my wife and my iPhones.

Look at all the educational apps in the app store for LITTLE kids. It's a common thing, next time you are in a crowded family restaurant, look around, you'll see many kids with their parent's iPods and iPhones.

ash =o)

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
there's also the $199 iPod touch 8GB which is plenty for a small kid to play with and relatively inexpensive. Just put it in a case that has the ports covered and it's pretty safe...

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
I read this book to my 6 year old tonight at bed time. He absolutely loved it. I did hold the iPad and he just looked. While I do let him play with my iPhone, the iPad is a whole different story.

kirchnrd

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009
This IS the future of books. Just like chalkboards are long gone and replaced with touch screens. Might as well sit back and enjoy the ride :)

H00513R

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Indiana
I downloaded this and tried it on my 1 1/2 year old. He seemed interested at first, but then quickly got bored. It might be the subject matter though as he's just starting to build his vocabulary. Do you have something more basic in production right now that would target toddlers? Something more colors, numbers, shapes oriented? I like what you did with Alice.

KatMarie

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2010
My 2 year old granddaughter is enchanted with this app! It's fun for both of us to sit together with it.
Of course, on a certain eReader forum, they are saying it's horrible and for idiots and promotes ADD and ADHD. Lol

kikedeolivos

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
+1 on this. I read with my toddlers every single night (and I mean every single night) with regular books. Our sessions are 30 minutes min and sometimes an hour long since they enjoy it so much. It's also quality time together. These apps, and ebooks, imo, will never replace the traditional books, and I don't ever intend to instill that in them either.

+1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.