Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
For the summer I work for the local school system as an ITS Tech.(http://stcharles.k12.la.us)

While making my rounds today updating antivirus software and logging MAC addresses and IPs, I often come across Macs.

...poor old forgotten Macs. What I come across the most is the old Power Macintosh 5260's. (Or at least it looks like that...I forget the actual number on the front of the case--I'll edit this later when I find out.

Now just sitting right next to me while I type this is a Powermac G3 All-in-one. It kind of blew me away because I've never seen one before. I have some pictures on my phone and when I get home I'll throw them up. G3/266mhz (512kb cache), 4GB HD, 32MB Ram/24x CD-Rom

In a way it's sad because in a year or two the few and far between Macs left in the schools are just gonna get chucked out. I kinda wish I could save one or two for myself... :(

In the late 80s and early 90s this school system was 100% Mac. In fact the first time I've ever used a computer was at Central Office with my aunt. (School Board General Director) It was an old...well, to be honest I forget what it was exactly. What I do remember was the CD-Rom drive being external and it using a caddy.

Of course now the entire school system is 98% Compaq...I guess because it's "Cheaper". But it's sad in it's own little way.

Oh well, it's giving me a job at least.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Yes, they are weird-looking things. I suppose if an iMac G3 and a beige G3 had sex, that's what you'd get. I've got one myself.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
I've just finished updating a PC in a room here. In the corner at a desk sit a Power Macintosh 5260/120 and a LC 580, all alone, probably rarely used.

Just something about those computers feel warmer and friendlier compared to this cold piece of machinery I'm using now.

dc7100cmt.jpg

That...but replace the flat panel with a CRT and you get the picture.

(And add a floppy drive. lol.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.