Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Philalbe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
Greater Boston Area
Hi. I'm a freelance designer...I guess I'm still just starting out. The holidays always make me think about trying my hand at designing prints for wrapping paper and gift bags. Most wrapping paper designs seem like something a competent designer could do with relative ease in Adobe illustrator...simple yet fun 2D vector designs of snowmen, snowflakes etc. I was wondering if anyone out there has tried this and if it's possible to successfully shop your designs around to manufacturers? Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Phil

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Many of them will have inhouse teams to develop their bits and pieces.

Considering lead and production times, I would have also thought that large-scale holiday-specific artwork production would need to be signed off in June-August in order to accommodate any special repro processes and finishing... and then getting product to point of sale.

So, if this idea appeals to you, try aiming for next year and put together a lo-res sample sheet to try some cold calls with... but don't get your hopes up, there could be other more productive and lucrative ways to further your career.

Philalbe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
Greater Boston Area
Many of them will have inhouse teams to develop their bits and pieces.

Considering lead and production times, I would have also thought that large-scale holiday-specific artwork production would need to be signed off in June-August in order to accommodate any special repro processes and finishing... and then getting product to point of sale.

So, if this idea appeals to you, try aiming for next year and put together a lo-res sample sheet to try some cold calls with... but don't get your hopes up, there could be other more productive and lucrative ways to further your career.

Hi. Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I too was thinking a lot of that type of work is probably done in-house. I suppose I could just make it a side hobby; something to help keep my vector skills sharp and maybe it will even yield some possible portfolio pieces? Thanks again:)

Sincerely,

Phil

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
...something to help keep my vector skills sharp and maybe it will even yield some possible portfolio pieces?

Well, yeah, that too. Always good to keep things ticking over. Now and then, I do free/pro-bono work for small charities and non-profits in order to contribute something useful to communities, to keep me from becoming too stale, to network and build up recommendations etc. One or two pieces from that have ended up in various portfolios over the years as well.

If I'm doing work for free, then I'd rather spend it doing real-world exercises, working with briefs and clients towards a mutual goal, instead of doing stuff for myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.