Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I have never reinstalled my OS (on Windows or otherwise) and, while those Windows machines have got slower with time, my Mac has done the opposite. My PowerBook is a year old this week and faster than ever. All I do is run MacJanitor about once a month and repair permissions occasionnaly. As it came with 10.2.7 preinstalled, I performed an "upgrade install" to Panther with the Panther up-to-date discs that Apple sent to me complimentary and have then just upgraded when the minor upgrades have been released.

I have no idea what I'm doing with the terminal or anything else, and I don't think the average user should have to worry about that. I leave things as is and I have never had a problem.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
edesignuk said:
fabulous.jpg

Thanks for sharing! :D

Note to any mac newbies reading, do not format your mac every 4 months!

When I get my avatar, I'm gonna change it to whatever new picture I see you upload, edesignuk.

I second this notion! Reformating is a pain in the butt! Every 4 years is a good amount of time...

Tusk

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2004
Arkansas
King Cobra said:
Newbs, you will disregard the above suggestion. It's better to refresh your system pretty often versus once every year or two or three.

I'm glad I didn't know that before I switched to mac last month. Otherwise, I would have stuck with Windows. Not near as much hassle. :D

crenz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2003
Shanghai, China
cluthz said:
You don't need a entire drive for video scratch, a partition is good enought.
You can wipe the partition instead of the whole drive..

Partitions are good enough to keep things apart from each other, but a separate hard disk can bring a speed increase.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Mechcozmo said:
I have never wiped my iMacs hard drive. It runs like a charm.

It would be interesting to see if someone could do a true performance comparison. Like you, I seldom, if ever, do a complete system rewrite simply because I am too lazy, but if there was any quantifiable benefit in terms of improved system speeds or reduced errors, I may consider it.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
King Cobra said:
Newbs, you will disregard the above suggestion. It's better to refresh your system pretty often versus once every year or two or three. You keep the number of old beta/bugs/memory leaks on your system down if you keep refreshing your Hard Drive, whereas if you don't refresh your Hard Drive at least once a year, those problems will stay on your computer and multiply over time, leading to more problems. Anyone that sees more than one refresh per year as irrational and thus refreshes his/her machine not so often is thus being stubborn in his/her method of thinking. If it's due to lazyness or lack of time for not refreshing often, well, that's another story

This is the biggest load of crap I have ever heard. I have yet to refresh/reload/reinstall my Dual 867 and it runs plenty fine. Im curious what old beta/bugs/memory leaks you are referring to. Do you even know what a memory leak is? Its a software problem, and as long as my sytem software is current and my applications are up-to-date - all accomplished with System update, I am fine.

The bottom line is if you are a newb or a veteran, there is no reason to wipe and reinstall once a year. PERIOD. But you should install updates when apple releases them, and you should install updates for software you use, and you should run the daily/weekly/monthly cron tasks or use MacJanitor. But in no case should you reinstall the entire system for sake of doing so.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
JFreak said:
by the way, the /etc/fstab trick is REQUIRED step in separating user files from system partition - if you don't do it (and just save your documents elsewhere), the system keeps using user library (called ~/Library) on the system drive, which is the #1 reason for system drive fragmentation.

Nah, there's no need to go messing with /etc/fstab. Just a symbolic link from /Users to /Volumes/whatever will do. My user drive is called 'Users' (who would've guessed?) so a quick
Code:
sudo ln -s /Volumes/Users /Users
does the trick (after the original /Users has been moved out of the way!).

/etc/fstab is fun for us old Unix geeks, but I seem to recall that OS X doesn't always use it (or perhaps some versions didn't). I've had zero problems with the symbolic link method, and it's probably a little easier for non-Unix people to do. ;)

As for fragmentation, keep in mind that Panther automatically defragments files under 20 MB. So while it doesn't affect large media/data files, it's still doing a pretty good job of keeping the disk tidy. I'd guess the majority of gradual slowdowns are due to issues like prebinding, messed up preferences, launch services bloat, etc.

NusuniAdmin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
With my beige g3 i would reinstall about every 6 months, but thats only because IT DID make it faster. i did not do a full zeroing of the hd, usually just a quick format.

With ibook well...I am not planning on doing it anytime soon. In fact I am planning on getting external enclosure for my 60 gig hd in my beige to install ydl 4.0 on :)

i would also like to add the only reason i reinstalled that often on the beige was because of that dang hd size limit for the os x partition. Even when i put all my big apps in a seperate partiton the thing still only had like 1 gig (even less usually) of space available (for the os x partion) and as we all know os x becomes a pain when available space is that low. But on average I would reinstall when the space got below 1.7 gigs usually, then id do a full reinstall and stuff and id have roughly 3-4 gigs available...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.