Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Sweet! The new one comes out on my birthday! I can finally get GPS.

Six months ago, I bought an iphone ($650, live in Ca). A couple months later, the 16gb came out. So I sold it and upgraded to a 16gb (+$250). Now, three months later, here's the 3G model at $300... which reduces the resale value of mine to probably about two hundred bucks, possibly less. No doubt, I'll sell mine and upgrade again (since cell tower triangulation doesn't do much in the forest), to buy the $300 3G model...

So, to add GPS to my iphone experience, I'll have paid about a thousand dollars for a $300 iphone.

Kickass.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
So "Quicktime X" ???

"Grand Central" for taking advantage of multiple cores ?

"OpenCL" (open computing language) for using the GPU for general-use programming?

I'll gladly take these "non-features"!!!

Not to mention out of the box support with MS Exchange 2007.

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
In addition to QuickTime X and "Grand Central," let's also hope that Snow Leopard finally brings real unification to the user interface. For example, either stick with Aqua or ditch it. No more of these "half-Aqua" elements, like the scroll bars. Also, I really hope Apple really gets around to completely unifying all of their applications. There are still some apps that behave differently when closed, keyboard shortcuts do different things, etc.

If Snow Leopard is a "maintenance" release of sorts, then there's absolutely no excuse for ALL loose ends to be tied up.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Thank god I waited... 3G and GPS were the functions I wanted before switching. I feel bad for everyone who dropped 600 dollars on an iPhone thinking they'd get good value selling them used. I think a 2G iPhone is probably going to be worth 80 dollars on craigslist, tops. :(

I won't go near the iPhone until it's released from the grasp of AT&T.

Eodchop

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2006
Missouri
I hate to beat a dead horse.

...but this was a the most disappointing WWDC in years. No hardware updates at all? Where is a revised MB or MBP where is a MBA with Atom in it?

The SDK and 2.0 software will be cool but seriously. This was sad. I had already planned to run to the Apple Store after work and buy something now i get to go home and see my wife. Thanks Steve for the crappy hand Job.

jmorrison0722

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2007
Cupertino
If iCards are gone, it's probably because barely anyone used them. There are lots of free external websites for the same purpose. They're not really a central feature to a syncing service.

I would think that the bookmarks will stay, but it may be better implemented than the cheesy pop-up window used now.

Also, isn't .Mac slides just superseded by the Gallery app?

These are not guesses...Apple just sent out an email to .Mac customers. In it there is a link to MobileMe FAQ. It confirms that iCards are gone, web-based bookmarks are gone, .Mac slides are gone, Panther support is gone. I use .Mac groups extensively and it doesn't mention those, but I'm assuming it's gone as well.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
I have a 1.1.4 jailbroken and customized to the max and I believe my phone does as much as the new 3G with tons of FREE apps! I can take video with sound, save voice notes, play doezens of games... Who cares about stupid Nintendo like games or that Old Cromagnon crappy game that came free with the original iMacs... They talk about Active Sync and Enterprise software and then talk about games for 5-year-olds!!! Give us something to make Nokia and Sony crap their pants... GPS and all this "NEW" stuff has been around in those phones for a long time. Apple is ALWAYS LATE. Samsung and Nokia have internet tablets, PC's have sub-notebooks. SOme phones have front cameras for video conferencing and take 5MP photos and really good quality video. What does the 3G iPHone do?
The same that has been around for years but in a nicer package. Big Deal.:mad:

msbsound

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Charlotte, NC
If you watch the guided tour video on MobileMe, you'll notice in the demo that the woman has an "@me.com" e-mail address. Does this mean all existing "@mac.com" addresses will automatically be converted to the new domain, or will we have to start registering all over again?

Apple sent out an email to .mac folks(at least I know I got one) linking to their faq where it states:

Will I still be able to use my mac.com email address?
Yes. You may continue to use your current mac.com email address to send and receive email just as you do today. If you have any email aliases at mac.com, they will also continue to work.

Will I be able to use a me.com email address if I want to?
Yes. In addition to your mac.com email address, you will also get an address at me.com with the same username when MobileMe is available. For example, if your current email is emily_parker@mac.com, you will get emily_parker@me.com. You can send from whichever address you choose. The choice is yours. You will still receive email sent to your mac.com address so you won’t miss any emails.

HyperZboy

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2007
GREAT NEWS if you're looking to buy a new iPhone.

BAD NEWS if you were looking for any MACINTOSH NEWS at this WWDC.

I'm disappointed overall. :-(

stormj

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2006
California
Yeah, that's the one. Either that was a real one or someone who knew what it would look like made it. It's possible it was a damn good guess, but, I think this was it.

I think atleast one of the leaked images was near correct...

black-3g-iphone-possible.jpg

riversky

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2005
Mobileme

I noticed on the Apple/mobileme site the email will be ****@me.com

I was wondering if I have to change my @mac.com email to use the new service?

Never mind. Just read an above response!

wallaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Iowa
Price and new features on the iPhone are nice, should definitely expand the market for Apple and AT&T. While the phone's more affordable, I can't afford the plan...what would be nice would be an iPhone "light" contract that's just voice without the data for $40/month. Of course, you'd still have to be dealing with AT&T, which sucks. I'll be waiting for Pay-As-You-Go iPhone plans, maybe in another year or so...

MobileMe looks more streamlined than .mac had been, although the name sucks a lot worse. $8.33/mo is still too much to ask when there's free solutions like gMail available.

I was most excited about Snow Leopard since I'm still running Tiger, but looks like we'll have to wait for the news to trickle in...

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
They mentioned available in a number of countries on July 11th, but didn't specifically say that means U.S. I'm guessing it does, but I was surprised it's still more than a month away. I was hoping to get one this week. I'll have to practice my patience skills.

Do you think the GPS functionality will be similar to that of other phones, or near that of a Garmin interface?

Freedomflyer

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2007
I guess I can see people's let down with smaller things. I for one use 1GB of data PER MONTH on EDGE to browse the internet. I am always about, and I don't know what you guys are thinking but the Wifi/Cell-Tower "location" might as well just tell me that I'm in America for hellsakes.

I'm driving in New Mexico the other day on a trip, and I need to find a restaurant for lunch. I find a great one, but have no idea how to get there in less than 5 minutes (and no, I'm not a traffic control person, so I don't know the streets). I tried to location feature...and guess what? It didnt work! I tried it again, and it did (i guess...) but it told me I was in the area of 3 different streets and possibly 500m off. A "tad more accurate" If it's anything like a normal GPS it would blow me out of the water and convince me to buy iPhone 3g.

A previous poster also metioned "tad faster" data speeds.
Did you not watch/listen/read the keynote?
21s for NG.com (3G)
59s for NG.com (EDGE)

"Tad"? Unless a "good upgrade" means octupling the data speeds I'd have to say the demonstration put the rating up to "a LOT"

So I browse the interent like i'm at my home computer. So I drive like i have a Garmin GPS in my car. I listen to my iPod for even longer. I can use better headphones. I can probably abuse it more (... :) ), and I can keep around the same service fees (ok...$5-10 more, drop in the bucket for upgrades), all for $199.
I'm not getting an iPhone. You know why? Because I can't copy and paste a number into my phonebook once a month. And because I can't have a video chat once a week. And because I can't send a picture message to an otherwise crappy fliphone with terrible resolution.
I just can't look past these very important uprades. And most of all, I can't afford an iPhone.
Gimme a break.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
I'll post it again because people are blind, or just skip to the end of a thread and complain about missing info instead of reading the entire thread ;)

PRESS RELEASE FOR SNOW LEOPARD:
http://www.apple.com/ca/press/2008_06/snow_leopard.html

There, now anything more is going to be leaked info from people who ignore NDAs. So, wait for those rule breakers to get the info before you complain about more info.

Also, I'll never understand why people think that when, in a presentation a new product is released, that all info given during the presentation is ALL the info that exists. People are mentioned "missing" little tiny features that Steve isn't going to demo or announce to the world, but that doesn't mean they aren't there. They may not be, but a lack of mention doesn't mean they can't possible exist.

Gee wiz... :rolleyes:

pedrofan

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
¿¿¿ Still No Mms ?????

¡¡¡¡¿¿¿¿¿ STILL NOT MMS ?????!!!!!

· NO MMS MULTIMEDIA MESSAGING (you can´t attach pictures or videos to sms messages so if you are outside USA you can´t send pictures to your contacts)

· NO VIDEO RECORDING!!! OH MY GOD STEVE DO YOU LIVE IN WONDERLAND??
· NO REPLACEBLE BATTERY
· NO VIDEO CALLING
· LOCATING YOUR CONTACTS THROUGH GPS?? I DON'T WANT ANYBODY TO LOCALIZE ME!! I LOVE MY PRIVACY

SO WHAT HAS CHANGED???? NOW WE CAN BUY QUICKER THROUGH 3G?? THEY ONLY WANT TO STEAL US!!!

THE NEW IPHNE ONLY USES 3G TO MAKE ITUNES TRANSACTIONS FASTER TO SELL THE NEW PROGRAMS.

YOU ARE ALL BLIND, IT IS THE SAME DEVICE BUT NOW MORE "SELLING CAPABLE"

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Thank god I waited... 3G and GPS were the functions I wanted before switching. I feel bad for everyone who dropped 600 dollars on an iPhone thinking they'd get good value selling them used. I think a 2G iPhone is probably going to be worth 80 dollars on craigslist, tops. :(

Don't forget, you can sell it unlocked and upgraded with iPhone 2.0. That'll get you at least $125.

creajoe11

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2008
Supports MS Exchange... aha... And what about Mac OS X Server??

Seems as if Apple forgot to address its own enterprise clientele.... No Push-Solutions for Mac OS X-Server.... For professionals, Mobile Me cannot be an option, definitely not... Bad job, this time!

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2006
London
Hummmmm, I think I'll still hang on to my jailbroken iPod Touch and N95 8GB, even though it means 2 devices - I'm used to it, and there still isn't one Apple device, yet, that has the potential to replace the capabilities of both. Still, it's great that 3G and App store is coming, though not really unexpected.

Next year maybe then Apple... :rolleyes:

mikenike192

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2008
Why on earth would they reengineer the whole thing to work on non-GSM carriers? If you're going to make one, you're going to make a GSM one, because most of the world is GSM only and the US has two GSM carriers.

Plus, I've never loved any of the carriers. I've had Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, and T-mobile in the last few years. None of them make that big of a difference. A phone with a better radio makes more difference than most carriers.

But if you'd been paying attention you would have known all of this.

There may never be a Sprint/Verizon iPhone, and at least for Verizon, you can blame that one on Verizon--they turned Apple down.

Ok its mainly the fact that I'm super jealous of all the people who can buy iPhones. But where I live (hour away from Detroit in Ann Arbor) the ATT service is horrid. Most of my friends drop calls like crazy and have only 1 bar outside while my sprint phone has 4 to 5 bars all over the area

imwoblin

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

It will be interesting to see if the new iPhone can be jailbroken. If not, our version 1 iPhones will still be valuable to someone who wants an unlocked iPhone, especially since software version 2 works on all iPhones .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.