Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is planning to introduce new versions of tvOS and watchOS at the Worldwide Developers Conference, but unlike iOS 10 and OS X 10.12, we haven't heard any details on new features that could be bundled into the releases.

A lack of rumors hasn't stopped our forum members from dreaming up a list of most-wanted features in the two operating systems, so we took a look at some tvOS and watchOS wishlists to get an idea of the kinds of improvements people are hoping to see in the updates.

watchOS

One of the most desired features for the Apple Watch, unsurprisingly, is a better variety of watch faces to choose from. New digital faces and square watch faces like the Hermès Apple Watch face are high on the wishlist.

Apple-Watch-Hermes-Trio-800x301.jpg

MacRumors reader mavis wants to see faces that include an optional second count, and moxxham outlined a feature for dynamic complications on watch faces that sounds useful.
It would be great to set up time dependant complications and notifications. In the morning once your alarm is turned off, that complication disappears and is replaced by the activity complication. If your watch is charged over night, when you put the Apple Watch on, the battery complication will disappear and be replaced by weather. Just simple things like this would be great. It would really stop you from changing different faces all the time to suit your needs. The watch would predict based on your usage which complications would suit you and at what time.
Sleep tracking is a feature some readers would like to see, but it's unlikely to be introduced in the current Apple Watch due to battery life concerns. The ability to reassign the side button to access something other than a contact list is another interesting feature request from anthonymoody.

Other watchOS 3 wants:

[*]More workout options and controls
[*]Reminders app
[*]Ability to scroll through Glances with Digital Crown
[*]Speed/efficiency improvements
[*]Ability to control Apple TV with Apple Watch Digital Crown and Siri
[*]Option to disable Time Travel
[*]Watch Face activated at all times
[*]Glance for checking iPhone/Watch battery

Read more about the features people are hoping for in watchOS in the dedicated watchOS 3.0 wishlist thread on the forums.

tvOS

There are two threads our forum members have created covering tvOS features they'd like to see, one that was started shortly after the Apple TV launched and another that started up in April.

tvosmainview-800x481.jpg

Both have some interesting feature requests like a dark mode for the user interface, an Apple Music-style "For You" iTunes section for movie and TV suggestions, and unsurprisingly, support for games that only use a controller. Right now, tvOS apps with controller support are also required to support for the Apple TV remote, limiting controller functionality.

Other feature requests:

[*]Picture-in-picture and/or Split View
[*]Cloud backup and storage
[*]iCloud syncing for multiple Apple TVs
[*]VPN support
[*]Better parental controls
[*]Easier switching between accounts
[*]Remote installation of tvOS apps from iOS devices
[*]Always-on Hey Siri
[*]Slow motion playback
[*]Continuity and Notifications

The new versions of watchOS and tvOS will be unveiled alongside iOS 10 and OS X 10.12 on Monday, June 13 at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference keynote. The event is set to kick off at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time.

Article Link: WWDC 2016: MacRumors Readers' tvOS and watchOS Wishlists

iamPro

macrumors regular
May 15, 2009
For the Apple TV, may I add the need for universal music control (skip, pause, play). Now it's a hassle to control music from the home screen, when browsing photos, or even within the music app. Using Siri ("skip song") is still an extra step that takes longer than, using the older remote with the older Apple TV.

Also, being able to sort music within playlists by Artist, Album, Title, etc. would be great (needed for iOS devices and the Apple TV).

patohi

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
The Apple TV Remote requirement for games really needs to go! It could bring so many new games to iOS. Games for iPad and iPhone simply can't work with the limited Apple TV remote layout.

I'd say it's one of the worst development decisions Apple has made in a long time.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Spotify and Amazon on Apple TV.

But most important .....MORE watch bands!

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Always on "Hey Siri" for the Apple TV could be tricky For two reasons:
  • The battery is tiny in the remote and would need to be charged more frequently
  • It would accidentally trigger while using other devices
If they do it, it should have a proper microphone that can pick up everyone in the room, like the Xbox One and Kinect, and allow voice control with something like "Hey TV" or "Ok TV" or something. I miss having my Xbox One hooked up in the living room because it was so easy to play and pause shows with your voice from across the room.

As for the watch, I like the idea of having complications that show up different times of day. I've always wanted certain things to just disappear in the evenings or on weekends, like stocks when the market is closed. But honestly I just want them to make the darn thing faster and more native. Unfortunately I feel like they've already optimized it a bunch since 1.0 and we probably won't see many gains there until Bluetooth 5 comes out later this year, necessitating a new watch and iPhone. Quite tempting, especially if they're going to have a longer upgrade cycle for watches. Just don't make it thinner. I want it to be significantly faster with the same battery life. I thought my biggest issue with the Watch would be the battery life, but it's absolutely fine and it's really easy to literally just pop it on the charger every night with a good amount of charge to spare.

divideby

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2009
Apple Watch hasn't been able to compete too well with fitness trackers, and as far as I can tell it is software and price related.

In my opinion, software can be fixed by implementing sleep tracking and increase battery life with a new mode called "fitness mode" and turn off all notifications and literally connection to iPhone. Like a Fitbit. Think low power mode but still checks HR and sleep tracking. This could extend battery life significantly. Maybe up to two days.

You could then sell it as a fitness tracker with smart watch benefits which would help with the price premium.

In my opinion, the smart watch features are hard selling points. I can't really respond to notifications too well, and still need my phone most of the time.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
Need to be able to customize the complications, faces and change all aspects of the face itself.. such as if we can move the icons around in basically any formation we want, then we should be able to do the same with the complications on the face. Add seconds since a lot of people want that feature too! Maybe some sort of refresh to the design of the apple watch os, no idea what that would be.. nothing crazy though.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
watchOS: much more customisation and choice among the digital faces; those are really limited. In particular the ability to display seconds (still can't believe we don't have this after all this time).

Which is one of the reasons I use an analog face - those display seconds

TheRealTVGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Orlando, FL
The Apple TV Remote requirement for games really needs to go! It could bring so many new games to iOS. Games for iPad and iPhone simply can't work with the limited Apple TV remote layout.

I'd say it's one of the worst development decisions Apple has made in a long time.

But when I finally buy my son the game he's been begging for and I discover (because I'm too busy to read the details on the app store) that it's unplayable without purchasing a Nimbus, I'm grumpy and my son is disappointed. So then I'll take to MacRumors with my pitchfork, lol.
[doublepost=1465586400][/doublepost]
Always on "Hey Siri" for the Apple TV could be tricky For two reasons:
  • The battery is tiny in the remote and would need to be charged more frequently
  • It would accidentally trigger while using other devices
If they do it, it should have a proper microphone that can pick up everyone in the room, like the Xbox One and Kinect, and allow voice control with something like "Hey TV" or "Ok TV" or something. I miss having my Xbox One hooked up in the living room because it was so easy to play and pause shows with your voice from across the room.

It is my opinion that the Kinect is ugly and its unattractiveness outweighs its usefulness. So having an additional accessory plugged in would not be an ideal solution for me. Now... if the Apple TV unit itself had a built-in mic with noise cancelling, then I'd be on board with your idea.

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
There's no sleep tracking because it has to be put on charge overnight.

Doesn't have to be can be charged when sat at the office etc... I rarely charge mine at night.

Also you can now pair two watches to a phone so you could have a day and a night watch.

Reactions: Strutten

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
watchOS: much more customisation and choice among the digital faces; those are really limited. In particular the ability to display seconds (still can't believe we don't have this after all this time).
Chronograph face has it in one of the smaller dials.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
There was a time when people hated using Windows because it did not work with anything else. You were locked into the Windows eco system if you wanted everything to work. I think this is where Apple has gone with Apple TV and I feel the same about it as I did Windows lock in. For a phone, sure lock in for network protection I can see. But Apple TV, nope. I see no compelling reason to get locked into Apple's walled garden for a media center.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.