Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2003
the reason the apple displays are so expensive is because it caters to the high end G5 market. however, now that the new displays use a DVI connector i find it disappointing that they dont make a 17" model.

nsb3000

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Macrumors said:
Apple released new Displays today... ending a long wait.

The new screens sport a new adjustable aluminum case design as depicted by ThinkSecret's artist renditions. Meanwhile, last minute notes about pricing proved to be correct with the new designs coming in at the following prices:

30" - $3299.00
23" - $1999.00
20" - $1299.00

The new displays offer a single unified cable coming from the monitors which then split into DVI, USB 2.0, Firewire 400 and Power connectors.

Apple Store has the updated monitors for sale.

They look cool, but I will not be buying one anytime soon...

g4cubed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2004
I can't believe the prices. :mad:
I guess I will buy a Sony or Viewsonic monitor before I will pay those prices plus the damn video card. To bad I was looking forward to a new Apple monitor. And besides I'm not that impressed with the look. :(

Soire

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2004
Garden State
I need help...

I just bought a 20" to go along with the 2.5 G5 on the way... I must control... buying...

ps- I also bought a 40 gig iPod, and why in the name of god did the developer discount go down??? I could have bought a 40 giger yesterday for $400 and now they're $450. What gives?!?!? :mad:

PPC970FX

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2004
16ms? And i think that the speks are better, but I can`t find the specs. nits, 450:1? Where can I find specs?? :confused:

nexusfx

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2004
Merrim, KS
Brightness and contrast

The old Contrast was 350:1 and on the 20" for brightness 230 and the others 200. A signifigant improvement from the old Displays

FINALLY a high end graphics card, even though I like the x800 a little better, very happy they have the 6800 Ultra Now

Figured as much on the price, no complaints, I love iit all, just wish I had the money to buy it.

discstickers

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
Soire said:
I need help...

I just bought a 20" to go along with the 2.5 G5 on the way... I must control... buying...

ps- I also bought a 40 gig iPod, and why in the name of god did the developer discount go down??? I could have bought a 40 giger yesterday for $400 and now they're $450. What gives?!?!? :mad:

I think the developer pricing is just in limbo right now... They're at the same prices in the .edu store. Except for the old 17", it's 629 at the dev store while 599 at the .edu one. :confused:

amols

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2004
What did they change? Just the outer casing? Does that justify maintaining the same cost for over 18 months ??

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
HDCP Compliant?

Are these displays HDCP compliant? I didn't see anything on Apple's site specifying that they were... Which kinda sux... I wanted to be able to use one as an HD display at some point... (Some of the competing LCD displays have component video and svideo inputs... Of course that's not Apple's style...)

Downdivx

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2004
Fayetteville, NC
Or maybe if you could find a reseller who would pre-date the invoice to saturday you could also get the $500 rebate....

Might be a good way for the reseller to get rid of old stock also.

Whitaker

Tremaine

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2004
g4cubed said:
I guess I will buy a Sony or Viewsonic monitor before I will pay those prices plus the damn video card. To bad I was looking forward to a new Apple monitor. And besides I'm not that impressed with the look. :(

I fully agree. Viewsonic, here I come! Way too much premium to pay so that the design matchs my G5 which sits under my desk...

Zargot

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2004
Texas
ps- I also bought a 40 gig iPod, and why in the name of god did the developer discount go down??? I could have bought a 40 giger yesterday for $400 and now they're $450. What gives?!?!?

Looks like they also raised the price of the 20" iMac for developers.... Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the base price before today was approx. $1,799 US; now it's $1,979. ! :confused:

Skiniftz

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2004
Right now, I am SO glad I bought my 2 x 17" Ilyama panels. The new displays look great, however there is no way I could justify spending stupid amounts of money on them.

Well I suppose at long last the waiting is finally over.

Apple, you owe me 6 months of my life back. I so wish I'd just bought a dual 2GHz back in January.

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
Apple state you can run 2 230 inch panels off a nvidia 6800 but if one needs dual connections how do you hook up the other?
Or have a miss understood the dual aspect

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
congrats to apple....it is now once again possible to spend over 15,000 dollars on a single workstation without buying any "accessory" upgrades.

strictly speaking,

dual G5 2.5
load the RAM
dual 30" monitors (along w/obligatory gfx card upgrade)
dual 250gig HDDs

I didn't even have to add a fibre-channel card to get it over 15K.

amazing.

i wonder how clocked-down the 6800 is going to be?

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
and another thing....i find it VERY hard to believe that all three of these monitors have the same response time.

Call me a pessimist, but I bet the 30" will have that spec revised in the near future...

joemama

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2003
g4cubed said:

This is such a joke! Apple should be ashamed of themselves. They will understand when they see the sales of the OLD 17" skyrocket. A lot of people, like me, where waiting to buy until the new specs are out. I will now buy the old one. and save 500 bucks or so.

tsk tsk...

denm316

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2003
Philadelphia
So if I want to hook up 2 new displays to my NEW G5 I have to buy an ADC adapter, give me a break.

From now on when I go to the Apple store in the mall I expect the employees to be wearing masks, because they are robbing me when they are taking my money.

bertagert

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2003
For all the bad that people are seeing with the new displays, there are some good notes.

1. You can now mount with any type of arm to the displys which is oh so cool. Tilt, adjust...anything you want.

2. DVI is the way to go. Now you can hook one to a PC.

3. Someone might make an adaptor with graphics card so you can go powerbook --> adaptor w/card --> 30" of pure love.

The only thing I see as a little confusing is having the usb and firewire on the back of the screen. This could be a little tricky to get to. That is unless you get a new mounting arm that swings the screen around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.