Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grcar

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 28, 2014
I can use Siri on my mac mini to order lunch (where is the mic?).

At leas they could cut the price of the out-of-date hardware they are selling.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
A lot of the features are very gimmicky. Can't help but feel that they're saving the big stuff for next year's anniversary (ironic since this is the 10th version)...

I knew no hardware was coming, but they sure needed it!

Reactions: Lesser Evets

tokyodan

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
I'm sure Apple is going to decline. It deserves to with it's lack of imagination and the way it is pricing sub-par hardware with years-old components and 5400rpm HDs. And the first few minutes of the keynote was terrible with Tim Cook's forced excitement for the dull **** they were about to announce. I didn't watch last year's keynote and I wish I could forget that there was one just last night. Not going to watch it either.

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Eh, this is what Apple is today. They started out as a PC company; but, they really took off by coming up with a sequence of "cool" niche products: the iPod, iPhone, iPad, etc. Even their desktop line has been transformed into niche products: the SFF Mac, the AIO Mac, the high-end-workstation Mac.

There are two hugely beneficial aspects to this for the company: (a) they can convince people to spend money on what seems to be an entirely new type of product, generating vast amounts of sales when the product is first released; and (b), they avoid direct competition with other companies.

At this point, I'm starting to think that the internal culture of Apple makes people there think that they can't compete directly with other companies. That they must always and forever be looking for the new breakthrough niche product...

From this point of view, I'm guessing that the appearance of Intel's NUC, a high-quality SFF PC line from a major company, probably spelled the end of the Mac Mini line. Rather than be forced to compete with Intel, Apple will probably prefer to play in other niches.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
A lot of the features are very gimmicky. Can't help but feel that they're saving the big stuff for next year's anniversary (ironic since this is the 10th version)...

I knew no hardware was coming, but they sure needed it!

They were all gimmicky and no substance (like speed improvements vs Windows 10).

Reactions: ssgbryan

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
The Mac OS presentation was very underwhelming, but it has been that way every year since the iOS-ification of OS X. There is some cool stuff here and there, but I consider the last big feature update to be Leopard.

The glory days of the Mac will never be back, but as both a Windows and Mac user I can still say the user experience on the Mac is much better. As long as that's true, I'm fine with it.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
The Mac OS presentation was very underwhelming, but it has been that way every year since the iOS-ification of OS X. There is some cool stuff here and there, but I consider the last big feature update to be Leopard.

The glory days of the Mac will never be back, but as both a Windows and Mac user I can still say the user experience on the Mac is much better. As long as that's true, I'm fine with it.

Except that we're getting all the bells and whistles of iOS with none of the speed of iOS. I'm deadly serious here when I say there will be a mass exodus of Mac users to Windows 10 on their Macs. Win 10 is actually good and more then good enough to keep me wanting to come back to it instead of the MacOS, er, macOS.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
I have Windows 10 on my gaming rig. It's not half as bad as some people say, but it's certainly not as polished as Mac OS. Windows 10 won't have me switching back for sure.

Mac OS is not a bad system, it has just become boring.

Windows 10 is enough of a threat that the macOS needs to step it up.

Reactions: merkinmuffley

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
In this thread, users vent their frustration that the DEVELOPER CONFERENCE wasn't used to launch hardware...

In this thread, users vent their frustration that Apple appears to be abandoning the desktop computing market. The only desktop Macs available today are quirky, niche-oriented products that are rarely and inadequately updated.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
In this thread, users vent their frustration that Apple appears to be abandoning the desktop computing market. The only desktop Macs available today are quirky, niche-oriented products that are rarely and inadequately updated.
Niche? They are consumer oriented machines, a new Mac Pro will be out later this year.

Other than the teeth gnashing I don't see the issue. I work at ESPN and haven't heard a single complaint from the people using the Mac Pros to actually get work done. Now, you go to a nerd forum on the internet and it's the end of the ****ing world.

I'll stick with the workers over whiners.

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Niche? They are consumer oriented machines

Yup. Consumers who want a tiny PC, or an all-in-one PC, or a flashy (and non-expandable) workstation PC. Those are three specific niches of the overall desktop market.

a new Mac Pro will be out later this year.

Wow, that's news to me -- do you have some more info on this?

I work at ESPN and haven't heard a single complaint from the people using the Mac Pros to actually get work done. Now, you go to a nerd forum on the internet and it's the end of the ****ing world.

:) Well, I guess I'm a whining nerd then. :) :) Yeah, I want a powerful, expandable desktop PC that runs OS X, but Apple is refusing to give me a powerful, expandable desktop PC that runs OS X. For years, I decided to stick with a Mini PC that runs OS X, but I'm switching to a powerful, expandable desktop PC that runs Linux. And yeah, I'm sad about that decision, but given the current situation, it just makes more sense.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
:) Well, I guess I'm a whining nerd then. :) :) Yeah, I want a powerful, expandable desktop PC that runs OS X, but Apple is refusing to give me a powerful, expandable desktop PC that runs OS X. For years, I decided to stick with a Mini PC that runs OS X, but I'm switching to a powerful, expandable desktop PC that runs Linux. And yeah, I'm sad about that decision, but given the current situation, it just makes more sense.
Don't get me wrong, working in IT and being about to hit 10,000 posts clearly defines me as a nerd. I don't mean it as an insult, just that we aren't normal consumers when it comes to tech.

As for your build, congrats, people that actually work need to get the machines that enable them to do it. Simple as that.

You're also correct that the only growth in the computer industry is in specific subsets of consumer devices.
[doublepost=1465931431][/doublepost]
...and instead was used to launch new emojis. :rolleyes:
I take it you're the type that doesn't bother to watch any of the session videos and instead focuses on the CONSUMER FACING keynote right?

I can't wait to watch the Platform State of the Union, where all the actually exciting stuff is discussed....

Reactions: jpietrzak8

grcar

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 28, 2014
You have to pay a fortune for NOT-state-of-the-art hardware just to run Apple's so-so software.

For example, my wife replaced her good old mac mini running 10.6.8 for an imac. The problem is, the latest 10.X replaced Aperture and iPhoto with Photo that is not as good simply to be compatible with the features of Photo on the cell phones. And now, at WWDC, they say Sierra Photo will have fewer features than iOS Photo. WTF!?!?

Last edited:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I view it another way. My 2012 2.6 mini server is the best Mac mini still available from
Apple. I mean what other company let's you get a good 4-5 years out of computer being its top spec??

Yeah .... Things are not all great at Apple when it comes to any hardware that is not an idevice .

Look at it from apples point of view, an idevice costs much less to produce, and an iPad costs are approaching laptop pricing . Which do you think they prefer to constantly update and sell lots of . Follow the money guys, it's idevices.
[doublepost=1465941645][/doublepost]
You have to pay a fortune for NOT-state-of-the-art hardware just to run Apple's so-so software.

For example, my wife replaced her good old mac mini running 10.6.8 for an imac. The problem is, the latest 10.X replaced Aperture and iPhoto with Photo that is not as good simply to be compatible with the features of Photo on the cell phones. And now, at WWDC, they say Sierra Photo will not have fewer features than iOS Photo. WTF!?!?

As much as they talked it up, Ditching aperture for photo was the worst decision. I still use aperture.

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Reactions: ssgbryan

ivoruest

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
Guatemala
I'm really not in the mood to change OS just because it has a lot of mess in my messages and a couple other useless stuff. I had enough with Maverics, Yosemite and El Capitan bugs and glitches. I guess El Capitan will stay for long in my macs...

Osty

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Melbourne, AU
Except that we're getting all the bells and whistles of iOS with none of the speed of iOS. I'm deadly serious here when I say there will be a mass exodus of Mac users to Windows 10 on their Macs. Win 10 is actually good and more then good enough to keep me wanting to come back to it instead of the MacOS, er, macOS.

That hasn't been my experience and I have the same Mini that's in your signature. I dual boot El Capitan with Windows 10 and every time I boot into W10, I'm appalled by how long it takes to load and how sluggish it is thereafter. I've upgraded to 8GB of RAM but am still using the stock 5400rpm drive.

That said, El Capitan was a dog on 4GB, though and Windows 10 was a little better. After the upgrade, El Capitan did much better but Windows not drastically so. Part of me suspects that both OSes are more optimised for SSD, that's the real problem with the stock Mini.

Without a doubt, the best performing OS I've ever run on that Mini was Linux; both Fedora and Ubuntu smoked the living hell out of OS X and Windows.
[doublepost=1465946798][/doublepost]

Excellent choice. Honestly wearing Macrumors Goggles just makes people more unhappy than they need to be.

For years, I decided to stick with a Mini PC that runs OS X, but I'm switching to a powerful, expandable desktop PC that runs Linux.

Nice one. I have a foot on both camps but my wife's fully in the Apple ecosystem which keeps me moving full time. Well, that and I'd rather keep my data with Apple than Google.
[doublepost=1465946946][/doublepost]
I guess El Capitan will stay for long in my macs

I'm inclined to agree with this. El Capitan, despite a dodgy start has grown into a pretty stable system. New file system aside and most of the changes are related to Continuity, which my Mac mini doesn't support unless I **cough** hack the drivers **cough**.

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
The new filesystem is actually a huge improvement, but they didn't even mention it.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
At leas they could cut the price of the out-of-date hardware they are selling.

If you follow the rumors in the buying guide area of the site, you'll notice that it's expected that there's likely to be hardware in the pipeline, but that it'll get announced later in the year.

It's pretty obvious that they wanted to make the iOS improvements the star of the show and it doesn't make sense to split attention with hardware from a marketing perspective, especially when that hardware is still going to be a few months away.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
Probably the least interesting WWDC I have seen.

OS X gets:

1. New Name
2. New Wallpaper
3. Siri (useless in my opinion)
4. New File System (Beta... probably till next WWDC) Will be a great change when done.

Only one that had personality was the lady that demonstrated the music app.

OS X is dead and IOS has taken over.

What do you all think?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.