Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by howard
what is x11??????

it's the original Linux window managing system... X11 for Mac OS X is the program Apple has written to make Linux applications run on OS X without being ported, as there are thousands out there that have not been ported. it's a very useful tool for Linux users and programmers who are trying to port those apps to run natively in OS X.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Re: Re: X11 0.2 out

Originally posted by Bear

Yeah, I installed it. I've only tried a couple of the new features, and it seems just as stable as the first beta release.

was the first release stable? i didn't try it enough to really know. i remember it had a huge problem (in KDE) of drawing the windows with the titlebar behind the OS X menubar, which really pissed me off, and that KDE was practically demonic with it for me. but KDE was also pretty rough with XDarwin, so i can't blame that on apple's X11.

KDE just plain seems rather problematic still on the mac, but it's my favorite linux WM; i tried GNOME and didn't like it much, and quartz-wm is very cool but i don't like that there is no way to "autodetect" the linux programs you have, like in KDE.

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
Shadowfax:

X11 did not originate on Linux, it's an older Unix standard that was made to work on Linux though XFree86 and other programs.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Does anyone want to post the new features?

[EDIT]Fine I'll post them.[/EDIT]

*Support for Gnome, KDE hints
*Application windows now cascade instead of piling on top of each if they do not have an explicit placement policy
*Added /usr/include/X11 and /usr/lib/X11 symlinks
*Menu in the Dock now shows a list of X11 windows.
*Support for Copy & Paste working with other window managers.
*No-click-to-focus option : “defaults write com.apple.x11 wm_ffm true”
*Support for move window events from CodeTek's VirtualDesktop
*Support to respect the Mac OS X's International keyboard mapping.
*Keymappings from /System/Library/Keyboards.
*Support for -iconic. E.g. xterm -iconic now puts the xterm into the Dock on launch.
*New preference options to control xauth usage
*Bug fixes and other feature enhancements

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
Re: Re: Re: X11 0.2 out

Originally posted by Shadowfax

was the first release stable? i didn't try it enough to really know. i remember it had a huge problem (in KDE) of drawing the windows with the titlebar behind the OS X menubar, which really pissed me off, and that KDE was practically demonic with it for me.
quartz-wm handles kde much better now (not perfectly, but much better). of course, you can always install another compatable wm if you don't want to use quartz for kde (although you'll have to edit some config files to prevent the menu-bar problem, quartz-wm handles it automatically). the first release was very stable for me (the kde apps are another story) and this version seems just as good (i have not had an x11 crash in either).

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Re: Re: Re: Re: X11 0.2 out

Originally posted by FattyMembrane

quartz-wm handles kde much better now (not perfectly, but much better). of course, you can always install another compatable wm if you don't want to use quartz for kde (although you'll have to edit some config files to prevent the menu-bar problem, quartz-wm handles it automatically). the first release was very stable for me (the kde apps are another story) and this version seems just as good (i have not had an x11 crash in either).

what do i put in my /.xinitrc if i want to have quartz accelerate KDE? i was led to believe that you couldn't use KDE and quartz-wm together.

the only serious problem i have had with KDE is that it consistently freezes my computer the second time i load it before i log in and out again. it doesn't freeze, it causes an entire system halt. the mouse and keyboard won't even respond. it happens in both XDarwin and X11.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by ddtlm
Shadowfax:

X11 did not originate on Linux, it's an older Unix standard that was made to work on Linux though XFree86 and other programs.

I guess i could have inferred that it was an older Unix standard at first. i actually have been told this before, but thanks for reminding me. Nevertheless, it was still the original Linux standard as well; Unix just predates linux. i suppose i should have said "*nix," huh?

OSXrocks

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2003
I lost my aqua look :confused:

I got the original green windows of X11 now again :eek:
What do I have to do to get my aqua back

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by OSXrocks
LOLz apple just posted an update for this :p

"Installer now defaults to replacing /etc/X11, to use quartz-wm instead of twm. This is the only change since v0.2."

that's funny. I'm surprised at them.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

it's the original Linux window managing system... X11 for Mac OS X is the program Apple has written to make Linux applications run on OS X without being ported, as there are thousands out there that have not been ported. it's a very useful tool for Linux users and programmers who are trying to port those apps to run natively in OS X.

Psssst. X Windows was out before Linux. It was an add-on to UNIX.

Version 0.2.1 is now available.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by bousozoku

Psssst. X Windows was out before Linux. It was an add-on to UNIX.

Version 0.2.1 is now available.

lol, both of your comments have just been addressed in the above posts.

Originally posted by ddtlm
Shadowfax:

I guess i could have inferred that it was an older Unix standard at first. i actually have been told this before, but thanks for reminding me. Nevertheless, it was still the original Linux standard as well; Unix just predates linux. i suppose i should have said "*nix," huh?

Originally posted by OSXrocks
LOLz apple just posted an update for this :p

"Installer now defaults to replacing /etc/X11, to use quartz-wm instead of twm. This is the only change since v0.2."

that's funny. I'm surprised at them.

you should read threads before you post on them, especially before you make a correction to a post that was put up about a day before, with many in between.

just a friendly reminder :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.