Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
I had to install MATLAB for one of my engineering classes. It installed jsut fine and runs jsut fine but i cant seem to get it to print. Open Office works just fine for printing but i cant get matlab to work.

If anyone has any idea what is going on here some help would be great. It is nice to be able to do my homework but not being able to print is kinda a pain.

Help is greatly appreciated.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I'm not sure what might be wrong, but I thought I'd tell you that I'm running Matlab 7 under 10.4.5 on my PowerBook and my Power Mac, and printing works fine on both machines. I've got an iP1600 for my PowerBook, and an Epson R200 on my Power Mac. Check to make sure that Matlab is trying to print to the right printer. As a workaround in a pinch, you can go to File-Save As and save plots in a variety of image formats, including PDF, and then print them from an external application.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
Thanks for the input. I dont have a clue what is wrong. I have followed the directions and i can not get the thing to work. I have used a HP PSC 1500 All-in-one and an Epson CX6600 and i still cant get it to print. Like i said earlier Open Office prints fine (and even finds the printers that are on the network, but for the love of god i cant get MATLAB to print.

I am on 10.4.6 and using MATLAB 7.1.0.183(R14) Service Pack 3. I thought about trying an update but this software was given to me by OSU as part of my engineering class so i am not sure if i will be able to.

Anyone else have some input??

Thanks

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
prostuff1 said:
Thanks for the input. I dont have a clue what is wrong. I have followed the directions and i can not get the thing to work. I have used a HP PSC 1500 All-in-one and an Epson CX6600 and i still cant get it to print. Like i said earlier Open Office prints fine (and even finds the printers that are on the network, but for the love of god i cant get MATLAB to print.

I am on 10.4.6 and using MATLAB 7.1.0.183(R14) Service Pack 3. I thought about trying an update but this software was given to me by OSU as part of my engineering class so i am not sure if i will be able to.

Anyone else have some input??

Thanks

Install the Gimp-print printer package and configure CUPS printing. It should be visible to X11 applications.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Annoying as it may be, it works for me fine (MATLAB 7.01 Student) with an HP 960c printer, I haven't installed any extra software to get it to work too...

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
mdriftmeyer said:
Install the Gimp-print printer package and configure CUPS printing. It should be visible to X11 applications.

FWIW, the main Matlab application is not an X11 app, and it uses the standard OS X print dialog to print. Matlab uses X11 when it displays plots, and those use a different print dialog (although both work fine with nothing extra installed for me).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.