Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KTK1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
Has anyone figured out how to connect a bluetooth xbox one controller to a Mac running parallels and have it working? I am able to connect my Xbox controller to my Mac in my windows virtual machine (Windows 11), however when I press the xbox button it brings me to the app switcher on the Mac side, eventually leading to launchpad and a games folder.

When I try to actually use it in a windows game it will not respond my game doesn't recognize it. It shows up as connected in the bluetooth panel in the Windows settings.

Does anyone know how to get it to work so I can play a game on my windows vm? I am running the latest version of Parallels 17 and the latest version of MacOS on a 2021 16" MBP.

KTK1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
Well, small disappointing update. I was able to find a usb cord and plugged it into my MacBook and xbox controller, it didn't work. The controller worked just fine when connected to the Mac but just doesn't want to work with parallels. Was hoping to get some gaming in.

BlackbookGuy

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2012
I’m just about done with parallels bec of this issue. Been complaining to them about it since last summer. Jesus, sometimes it doesn’t even work to plug the Xbox controller in via usb, much less wirelessly.

I play old or simple games on Parallels and if a Microsoft controller doesn’t works in Microsoft Windows, it’s of no use to me.

lostPod

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2022
I feel like last time i tried to use the wired xbox controller on windows -- i think i needed to download some drivers? I could be wrong.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
A quirk of XBox controllers that some people don't understand - the wireless-capable controllers only ever use the cable to provide power. They never transfer control signals over the wire when plugged in. That's why you need to buy a dedicated XBox wireless dongle to use them on a PC that doesn't have Bluetooth.

The first thing I'd check, is whether a Wired-only XBox controller is able to interface with the VM.

The way I imagine this problem is playing out, is Parallels can't access a bluetooth device, unless it's shared from macOS, but in the case of the controller, macOS is eating the control input on the way through. With USB devices, from my limited observation of someone using Parallels, when you plug it in, and choose to connect it to parallels from the onscreen overlay that comes up, it bypasses macOS, and is effectively plugged directly into the Windows VM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.