Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajbrehm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 14, 2002
Zurich, Switzerland
Ever since I updated the Reference Library from within Xcode I ran into the following problem.

When I use the Back or Forward button in the documentation window, I get an alert box telling me something like:

“Reference.html” is a web application which was downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it?

Xcode downloaded this file on 18 February 2008 from developer.apple.com."

for _every single file_ _every single time_ I click it.

Also, when I click "Open" in the alert box, Xcode opens the file in OmniWeb.

I tried erasing OmniWeb to get rid of the association, but Xcode tracked down a copy of OmniWeb on one of my other computers.

I disconnected the network, but Xcode decided to use Safari instead of OmniWeb.

The last time this happened I re-installed Xcode, thinking it was a fluke. But it's apparently systematic.

How can I get Xcode to display ALL documentation files in the actual documentation window and not an external Web browser?

ajbrehm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 14, 2002
Zurich, Switzerland
I fixed it by deleting the Documentation folder and copying an old version over from another machine.

Is it possible to update the documentation without having the HTML files open in a Web browser afterwards?

Anyone?

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I fixed it by deleting the Documentation folder and copying an old version over from another machine.

Is it possible to update the documentation without having the HTML files open in a Web browser afterwards?

Anyone?

Look in the preferences. It sounds like it is just using the web based documentation rather than the stuff stored on your drive.

ajbrehm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 14, 2002
Zurich, Switzerland
Look in the preferences. It sounds like it is just using the web based documentation rather than the stuff stored on your drive.

No. The Web browser actually shows that it is displaying a local file (file:///Developer/Documentation/...).

Also, the "back" button in the Xcode documentation viewer would surely not point to a remote location but to the last page opened, wouldn't it?

(Plus there is a warning about the HTML page being an "application" that was "downloaded from the Internet". That would not happen when viewing a Web site.)

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Sounds like something with Launch Services has gone wacky. Not sure if there's a way you can reset that or what. In the past I've had this issue, not sure how it got resolved though.

ajbrehm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 14, 2002
Zurich, Switzerland
Sounds like something with Launch Services has gone wacky. Not sure if there's a way you can reset that or what. In the past I've had this issue, not sure how it got resolved though.

I'll check whether my other two Macs will have the same problem when I update the documentation.

(Why is the documentation viewer using Launch Services instead of just opening the files?)

ajbrehm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 14, 2002
Zurich, Switzerland
It started happening again, this time without me updating the documentation.

If it is Launch Services, how can I fix it?

This is really annoying. Why doesn't the documentation viewer simply open the documents rather than ask Launch Services???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.