Xcode Cocoa Reference Library opens in Web browser

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by ajbrehm, Feb 25, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

Ever since I updated the Reference Library from within Xcode I ran into the following problem.

When I use the Back or Forward button in the documentation window, I get an alert box telling me something like:

“Reference.html” is a web application which was downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it?

Xcode downloaded this file on 18 February 2008 from developer.apple.com."

for _every single file_ _every single time_ I click it.

Also, when I click "Open" in the alert box, Xcode opens the file in OmniWeb.

I tried erasing OmniWeb to get rid of the association, but Xcode tracked down a copy of OmniWeb on one of my other computers.

I disconnected the network, but Xcode decided to use Safari instead of OmniWeb.

The last time this happened I re-installed Xcode, thinking it was a fluke. But it's apparently systematic.

How can I get Xcode to display ALL documentation files in the actual documentation window and not an external Web browser?

2. thread starter macrumors 6502

I fixed it by deleting the Documentation folder and copying an old version over from another machine.

Is it possible to update the documentation without having the HTML files open in a Web browser afterwards?

Anyone?

3. macrumors 603

Cromulent

Look in the preferences. It sounds like it is just using the web based documentation rather than the stuff stored on your drive.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

No. The Web browser actually shows that it is displaying a local file (file:///Developer/Documentation/...).

Also, the "back" button in the Xcode documentation viewer would surely not point to a remote location but to the last page opened, wouldn't it?

(Plus there is a warning about the HTML page being an "application" that was "downloaded from the Internet". That would not happen when viewing a Web site.)

5. Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Sounds like something with Launch Services has gone wacky. Not sure if there's a way you can reset that or what. In the past I've had this issue, not sure how it got resolved though.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll check whether my other two Macs will have the same problem when I update the documentation.

(Why is the documentation viewer using Launch Services instead of just opening the files?)

7. thread starter macrumors 6502

It started happening again, this time without me updating the documentation.

If it is Launch Services, how can I fix it?

This is really annoying. Why doesn't the documentation viewer simply open the documents rather than ask Launch Services???