Xcode installation location.

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by MacMan988, Jul 17, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

MacMan988

Hi, I just installed Xcode and I have had installed it few months ago. As I remember, the last time I had it installed the Xcode was not in the application folder, but in some other places that was created for developer stuff. It was in a separate application folder that isn't the regular application folder. And there were some more folders with a folder named as developer tools.

But when I today installed Xcode its in the regular application folder just like other apps and all I could see is just the Xcode app and nothing else.

Is this the normal way it should be? Why is it different now?

Thanks in advance.

2. macrumors 6502a

It is now, yes.

3. macrumors 6502a

Bundle Up!

The Xcode app in your Applications folder is really a bundle. The bundle contains several folders and many individual files.

In OS X the are thee types of Finder objects: files, folders, and bundles. You're familiar with files and folders. A bundle acts like a file in that it runs an app when double-clicked, but also acts like a folder in that it contains files and folders.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacMan988

Thanks for the information. Can you please verify that Xcode is installed in the correct location (default location) ? Cos the last time i had it i remember it was in a different place (developer tools) and there were a lot of separate folders and stuff made with it. it was definitely not in the Application folder.

5. macrumors regular

Apple changed the way it packages Xcode in Xcode 4.3. Starting with Xcode 4.3, Xcode is packaged like most Mac applications, as a single application installed in the Applications folder. Packaging Xcode as a single application makes installing and uninstalling it easier.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacMan988

Thanks. This solved my confusion.